Flat earthers are crazy

:

a lot of people in the US who like to make up their own theories against w hat is generally established as fact.

hen these odd people turn out to be right. I don't think that includes the flat earthers though :)

aive really.

rather than choosing the one I want to believe because one is politically o r religiously preferred.

ata. It's only when you're heavily involved in the relevant field that you start to see what's really going on. Everyone else sees the facade, and the 2 don't always match. So people think they're deciding on the evidence whe n sometimes they're deciding on something else & lack of relevant evidence.

a?

reason, no

indeed.

It does leave me thinking why you ask such questions though. Flat earth is hardly a credible possibility.

AIUI there was at least an argument for that that was good enough to convin ce the average Joe that wasn't an expert on the subject, so that one's diff erent to flat earth, lizard people & so on.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The idea that the government or law enforcement is the ultimate arbiter of what is true is a trifle laughable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Surprised me! If you run the numbers, it only takes approximately

1850 feet "horizontally" to drop 1 inch !-)

So maybe the Earth *isn't* so flat after all ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Maybe that's why we invent so many things and get so many Nobel prizes. And periodically save Europe from mass genocide.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Why are leftists so negative? Natural born losers? ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

nly

lot of people in the US who like to make up their own theories against wha t is generally established as fact. I think #1, while inane, is mostly har mless. The problem with #2 - #4 is those people try to push it into policy such as education and energy, which affects more than just them.

One can be religious, have their beliefs, worship as they wish, and not af fect others.

".

ars

ious

nt

afterlife, and attend church once in awhile. But I'm not in favor of abor tion bans or gay marriage bans because I feel each person should have that freedom. And as for that intelligent design crap, that's just religious zea lots trying to dumb down the education system. Evolution and Creation are compatible with each other. Who's to say a higher power didn't guide evolu tion; what's important to everyone is to understand the science behind thes e events/processes. But they don't seem to understand that.

But import even more Nobel Prize winners. It would be fun to get John Larki n to name an American invention - he'd probably include the electric light where Swan - in the UK - had published prior art that pre-dated the Edison patent by a year.

America did take an active part in WW2, and the Germans did practice genoci de, but it was the Russians who defeated Germany - the US contribution was at best, minor. A single minor contribution isn't "periodic" and doesn't r ate the label "saving".

The US might - with more credibility - claim to have stopped Japanese genoc ide in China, but that wasn't what they were actually trying to do.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

only

a lot of people in the US who like to make up their own theories against wh at is generally established as fact. I think #1, while inane, is mostly ha rmless. The problem with #2 - #4 is those people try to push it into polic y such as education and energy, which affects more than just them.

One can be religious, have their beliefs, worship as they wish, and not a ffect others.

E".

ears

gious

ent

n afterlife, and attend church once in awhile. But I'm not in favor of abo rtion bans or gay marriage bans because I feel each person should have that freedom. And as for that intelligent design crap, that's just religious ze alots trying to dumb down the education system. Evolution and Creation are compatible with each other. Who's to say a higher power didn't guide evol ution; what's important to everyone is to understand the science behind the se events/processes. But they don't seem to understand that.

Perhaps because the right gives them a lot to be negative about.

Chris Mooney is as much down on the George W. Bush administration as he is on the Republican Party, but since Bush went on to give us the sub-prime mo rtgage crisis Mooney might have found other stuff to be negative about if h e had waited a bit.

James Arthur did try to blame the sub-prime mortgage crisis on the Democrat driven CRA (from 1977), but James Arthur does try to blame everything on t he Democrats, and on this particular point he was completely wrong.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Il giorno sabato 26 agosto 2017 08:22:29 UTC+2, Rob ha scritto:

You forgot "Hollow Earth"

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

Of course I also forgot "Moon landing was a HOAX".

Reply to
Rob

Just replace it with an auction. After all, the US presidency usually goes to the candidate that spends most money. Instead of wasting that money on campaigns, TV adverts, bribery, and all the rest of it, why not hold a straight auction? The proceeds could go directly to into the US federal treasury to help pay off your national debt. Then at least you'd know the new president has done /something/ useful for the country.

Reply to
David Brown

That sounds like a good plan! Of course make it a blind auction so the candidate is never sure how much money to spend, just like with a campaign.

Reply to
Rob

You guys just haven't been paying attention or worse have been paying too much attention to the major media lie-fest. Media in general knows squat about any science at all. Their idea is anything they can imagine is "true" and that holds for science. The problem is when usual media lies and ignorance combine with political agenda. To say that is a republican thing, rather than a politician thing, is just plain disinformation.

Case in point the the enormous Democrat effort to sell that global warming tax fraud as "science". A real professional job using government funding as leverage, sold out scientists and an obedient lap-dog media. Yet everyday you see people standing in front of a camera insisting that A CO2 tax is essential to save the planet even though: CO2 went UP

1040-1970 but temperatures went down. OVer 100 models predicted HUGE rises in temperatures for the last 15 or so years as CO2 went up. And ALL were wrong with temperatures remaining flat. Misleading statements and faked data to try to sell the energy tax. Algore's movie certified b by yoo kay court to have over 20 some lies in it. And on and on. So the con men even changed the name from "global warming" to "climate change" so they can never be wrong! So sad.

And especially sad that they plan to waste this money on the Third World rather than using it to solve actual true real problems like the pacific plastic pile and other pollution. It's all just politicians trying to cop the reputation of science with the public to further their political agendas. This is a VERY bad thing for science. Once your reputation is lost with the public there will be hell to pay to get it back.

Reply to
benj

How about teaching them to read? That sounds bad too.

The very existence of "crime" and "punish" means someone is imposing beliefs on someone else.

lunatic fringe electronics

As long as there is an audience ready to go hysterical and hyperbolic, other people will find a way to make them do just that. The joke is on the former.

Actual intelligent people won't fall for dumb provocations.

lunatic fringe electronics

e:

nly

lot of people in the US who like to make up their own theories against wha t is generally established as fact. I think #1, while inane, is mostly har mless. The problem with #2 - #4 is those people try to push it into policy such as education and energy, which affects more than just them.

One can be religious, have their beliefs, worship as they wish, and not af fect others.

E".

ears

gious

ent

an afterlife, and attend church once in awhile. But I'm not in favor of ab ortion bans or gay marriage bans because I feel each person should have tha t freedom. And as for that intelligent design crap, that's just religious z ealots trying to dumb down the education system. Evolution and Creation ar e compatible with each other. Who's to say a higher power didn't guide evo lution; what's important to everyone is to understand the science behind th ese events/processes. But they don't seem to understand that.

the point now that one's opinion on topics like global warming are associa ted with their political party. It's sad. And I know I might catch flack for this, but generally it's Republicans that are against things like that, and I it's part of their party identity.

- aimed at the George W. Bush administration, but Trump is worse, if anyt hing.

esist any development that suggests that their long-established view of the world needs changing.

What did Trump lie again and the media reported it? Seriously...you think the media lies about everything and one man, Trump, is completely truthful. That's naive.

Correct. Journalists report things. Scientists work on science, that's wh y we have them.

nce.

This really is starting to sound like climate change denial, where you're g oing to make some counter-claim with no good proof.

The mainstream media outlets (ABC, FOX, NBC, CNN, WaPo, USA Today, etc) doe sn't lie nearly as much as you seem to be insinuating.

t >plain disinformation.

Politics is full of lies, yes. Both sides. But utterly disregarding facts because one doesn't agree with them is simply stupid and unethical.

Oh God here we go....

The reason a CO2 tax is necessary is because nobody (well essentially nobod y) will do anything without a carrot or a stick. Traffic studies have show n repeatedly that the easiest way to reduce congestion is to charge a fee. Asking nicely doesn't work with people.

Yes, the Republican war on science is well underway, which I guarant ee won't do much positive for our society.

What?

There's a lot of environmental problems humans have caused. Just because y ou can't see the one at hand doesn't mean it's not important.

How did science lose their reputation? Because the Koch brothers and other politicians started attacking it?

Some people simply won't believe a single thing they're told, regardless of the evidence, because it's part of their political identity. THAT is bad, and very sad.

Reply to
lonmkusch

[...]

Pity about that. Anthropogenic global warming is science, and no fraud.

The claim that anybody is going to make any tax money out of it does seem t o be fraudulent, but that's another can of political worms. The bottom line is if anthropogenic global warming is real - and it is - the rights to dig up a whole lot of fossil; carbon aren't worth what they used to be, and th at is a political issue.

Politicians do have a reputation with the public - they are expected to lie . Quite a few of them lie about anthropogenic global warming - Jim Inhofe com es to mind

Benj does seem to be a bit confused about who is lying about what, and why. He's also a bit confused about who is dumping all that plastic into the oc eans. The Third World is just as enthusiastic about plastic bags as the fir st and second worlds.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Didn't work out so well for you hero in a pants suit, did it?

Reply to
krw

.

Depends whether you figure in the free publicity Trump got from "The Appren tice". Admittedly, he came across as the same sociopathic narcissist that h e was as a candidate, as is as president, but some people don't find that w orrying, which is the implication of the claim that there no such thing as negative publicity - at least not for the kind of audience that includes kr w.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

But John Larkin hasn't found a denialist web-site that's too dumb even for him. John Larkin having the chutzpah to predict what an intelligent person might do is pure narcissism.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

His voters were willing to overlook his style for the more important substance they saw him addressing.

Reply to
cameo