FIR chips

Does anyone make FIR filter chips? Harris used to decades ago.

I need 16 bits, 128 taps and 30MHz. FPGA of course, but I'd like lower power.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

That wouldn't take a lot of power in a small FPGA. What's the transfer function look like? What's your power budget?

An FIR filter doesn't necessarily need to be a classic shift register/multiplier/summer thing, with all those multiplies and adds. Boxcars and such are, technically, FIR, but don't work as hard. And there are folding tricks and stuff to keep the power down.

An FPGA is about the only game in town, excepting maybe a DSP processor.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It's a correlation filter, so I need the multiplies. I *must* avoid BGA devices, so that limits the FPGA size - I may have to split it between devices if that's the way I have to go.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

You should be able to find an FPGA in a leaded package that'll do that. It really is a small task, these days -- I'd start by looking at whatever Xilinx's latest Spartan part is; I think you'll be hard pressed to find one that _doesn't_ have over 2k-bits of block RAM; whether you'll find one with enough and multipliers to do the job is a question, because with

128 taps you'll need to run it pretty fast.
--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

You should be able to do this in a leaded FPGA. You don't need a lot of pins: 16 in, 16 out, some sort of port to load coefficients (unless you want to compile them in.) Splitting this up will probably add more interconnects and delays than it's worth.

I think some of the FPGA design suites will generate an FIR for you; I'll ask my FPGA guy about that.

At 30 MHz, you should be able to share multipliers 4x or maybe 8x, so you only need 32 or maybe even 16 MACs. That's not a big chip.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

BGA

Or Altera's Cyclone series.

Though, if implementing FPGA, be aware that FPGA's real power comes from 'parallel' processing, and to really take advantage of their architecture requires a bit of rethinking. The good side, 30MHz is slow and speed is power, plus since you don't need any PLL's running you should save a bit of power there.

Reply to
Robert Macy

"Syd Rumpo" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : jk4ojq$lhs$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Hi Sid,

You may have a look at Intersil, HSP43220 and similar. Not sure about the low power and may be a little expensive as compared to a small FPGA but that will give you an alternative...

Friendly yours,

Robert Lacoste

Robert Lacoste

I think the least expensive solution, probably in power and certainly in chips, is going to involve jacking the clock up -- probably to somewhere between 120 and 300MHz -- as well as doing parallel processing.

Trying for 128 parallel 16-bit paths is going to be asking for an enormous chip.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

BGA

afaikt from a quick look the biggest xilinx you can get in a non-bga is something like XC3S500E with 20 multipliers and 360kbit block ram so a little over 200MHz and it shouldn't impossible

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Thanks, Robert and everybody for your input. The Intersil (formerly Harris - I'd forgotten) chip looks good although it may be too large physically. I'd omitted to mention that I can't have very high clock speeds, certainly not hundreds of MHz, so still a bit undecided.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

why no high speed clocks? EMC issue?

high speed clocks sometimes are 'internal'

Reply to
Robert Macy

it's a decimating filter, first filter is integrate and dump, last part is a fir filter to correct the response and it only has a single multiplier so it will not do anything like a fir filter with 128 taps and 30MHz input and output rate

most FPGAs will have some form of clock muliplier available so the fast clk will only be internal

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Ah yes, I see - I just looked at the headline figures on the front page. Looks like FPGAs then. I can't use clock multipliers as they're unreliable at the out-of-spec temperatures I need as are very high speed external clocks.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

What are 'out of spec temperatures'? You can always choose to do your own qualification.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Yes, that's how I know clock multipliers aren't reliable.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

how much out of spec? all kinds of clock multipliers? Xilinx use a delay locked loop, not a pll

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

IME at 180'C ambient neither PLL nor DLL are reliable :-(

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

You're talking generalities backed by no facts. ...Jim Thompson

Well, I have tried various FPGAs at elevated temperatures, as have others, and any PLL/DLL seems to be often the first thing to fail and none that I've tested or know about will operate at 180'C. I'm afraid test details are not generally shared and that's not something I can change.

I don't know why this should be, possibly on-chip capacitors, but I'd be grateful for any insight a chip designer could bring.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

if you can't do BGA you are limited to small(er) FPGAs if you can't do high frequencies, don't any other option than several FPGAs

the right clock doubler should work as long as the part works so you need 64 mulipliers at 60MHz, you can get

16 or maybe 20 mults in a xilinx FPGA if you want non-bga so 4 * 100tqfp and a config flash

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt