filling vias

We wouldn't need spacers and screws and lock washers. Mount those boards with magnets.

You can (could?) buy "track pins". We used to use them in olden tymes when we were too cheap to buy PTH boards! :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Has anyone filled vias with solder to improve thermal and electrical conduction?

I figure that if a via has an unmasked pad, and it's solder pasted and reflowed, the solder will melt and flow into the via, partially or completely plugging it with solder.

Maybe arrange for 2x the paste that would fill the via volume?

I found this online:

which seems to contain a lot of nonsense.

Seems to me that plugging a via with solder will radically reduce its resistances, and that lots of small vias are better than one big one.

The standard of the industry is DuPont's CB100. Used it for years.

Cheers, Harry

Reply to
Harry D

The data sheet says "high thermal conductivity" but I can't see an actual value.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The data sheet says "high thermal conductivity" but I can't see an actual value.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John, this is a great place for you to test this stuff and use your FLIR
gun. Lay out a small PCB, 100 A terminals, lots of traces with vias, filled
and unfilled.
I have been using CB100 for vias in pads, thermal vias, high current vias
and vias. Try to keep aspect ratio (H/D) to about 6:1. makes my customers
think that I am trying and gives me a good night's sleep.
It's funny, when you pick up an 8 layer PCB with 2-4 oz layers and 6-2 oz
layers and all vias filled, you instantly say, its heavy and it is cold.

Regards,  Harry
Reply to
Harry D

[snip]

I worked for a company that did that to one of it products; a grid of plated holes under a high power SMD. The paste was expected to fill a certain percentage of the holes, otherwise the assemblers had fill up the difference.

new_ibm

John, this is a great place for you to test this stuff and use your FLIR gun. Lay out a small PCB, 100 A terminals, lots of traces with vias, filled and unfilled. I have been using CB100 for vias in pads, thermal vias, high current vias and vias. Try to keep aspect ratio (H/D) to about 6:1. makes my customers think that I am trying and gives me a good night's sleep. It's funny, when you pick up an 8 layer PCB with 2-4 oz layers and 6-2 oz layers and all vias filled, you instantly say, its heavy and it is cold.

Regards, Harry

If I use unfilled vias with fixed-thickness plating, it makes sense to use lots of small vias. If they are filled with this stuff, they can be large with no big penalty.

Do you have a board house fill the vias with the DuPont stuff?

Maybe I'll bug them for a sample. I have a couple of thermal test boards that use resistors as the heaters.

I've heard of epoxy being used as a thermal via fill, but I suspect the DuPont is better.

[...]

I believe that most board houses will do the CB100 trick.  Some prefer the
non conductive stuff, with a better COE to FR-4 but stick to your guns.

regards,  Harry
Reply to
Harry D

The devil is in the details. Yes, filled vias conduct heat and electricity better than non-filled, but how much better? Is it worth the added cost/effort. "Lots of small vias" will be better than one big one... if there are enough of them. Design guidelines set minimum spacings. I think if you pack them at the minimum spacing the large ones will be better... if they have the same conductivity. Fill them with copper and you'll do better with larger ones as you have less space wasted by separation. For solder filled vias there will be an optimum size based on the tradeoff between density and conductivity.

--

Rick
Reply to

Unless they're plugged, and then, how. Remember also that a lot of vias, concentrated in one area, can make big holes in planes. Sometimes it's better to use larger and fewer holes so the keepouts/doughnuts don't overlap. One of my design review checklist items is looking for big holes or slots in planes caused by vias. I often find them where no one was expecting them.

Reply to
krw