Velleman Soldering Iron VTSS5

Found one of these today new for $10 at a swap meet. Looked like a good iron with adjustabe temperature and a small tip for small stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the housing that holds the iron was made of plastic and you needed to be very careful to push the iron far down into the holder so the iron was exactly straight and didn't touch the housing surface. It melted and made some smoke but still works ok. Retail was $25, so I saved $15. I guess you can;t ask for much for $25.

.

Bill Bowden

Bill, no one here has picked up a soldering iron in decades. You need to post this to a more appropriate group. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's unfair--several of us do lots of protos. However, there is a clear division in SED between those who hold soldering irons by the right end and the wrong end, easily visible except to the WrongEndians. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I resent that remark. I picked one up last week.

Reply to
hondgm

Way back in grad school I was soldering something under a microscope. I'd set the soldering iron down on the lab bench and without looking picked it up.. by the wrong end... nasty blister... you only do that once. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's why the iron holders have heat shields around the business end. ;-)

Reply to
krw

But in this case it was a plastic heat shield which doesn't work too well. I finally figured out the iron has to be pushed all the way down so the iron extends out the bottom end of the holder with only the handle in the holder. But it's a hassle to use since I need both hands to hold the housing and push in the iron and pull it out.

Bill Bowden