Favorite free engineering CAD tools

Also AnaSoft SPICE Sim. Its a full featured SPICE SIM, its real odd looking but has so many features. The company allows you to download the full version free, no limits of any kind.

Reply to
Mr. J D

I really like FilterFree from NuHertz

It does both analog & digital filter designs. Their free edition lasts forever and has plenty of capabilities for my usage. In fact, it's taught me about several topologies that I didn't know existed. Of course, the pro edition goes far beyond my needs!

Cheers, Todd

Reply to
tschoepflin

Um, no, they don't. As Kevin (he *is* "the company) will surely let you know, only the "30 netlist lines, etc." version is free.

I do agree with your assessment that it's a little weird looking but rather powerful. Plus Kevin has some good tutorials on analog circuit design available, which are actually rather humorous if you can relate to his sort of existentialistic view of life. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Great software, and quite reasonably priced for the "pro" versions. Like Anasoft, NuHertz is largely a one-man band -- Jeff Kahler, although this seems to be changing now that AWR is integrating Filter Solutions into Microwave Office. The one thing I'd like to see in his software is various filter transforms... I'm sure Jeff is quite familiar with, e.g., Norton transforms, and it's surprising that he doesn't have them when other software (such as AADE Filter Designer) does. (Since AWR has integrated Filter Solutions, I imagine they might bankroll the addition of such transforms, as some of AWR's direct competition -- Eagleware Genesys, aka Randy Rhea's retirement plan, now owned by Agilent -- has a very comphrensive set of transforms built-in.)

NuHertz is also a little like Anasoft in that the GUI's "kinda different" -- I often have the impression that Jeff must still be working with a 640x480 monitor or something. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

In message , dated Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Joel Kolstad writes

Just like the author. (;-)

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

You all have given us a wealth of information on filter analysis, pcb and schematic capture, simulation and all that.

I have looked at several "free" and "shareware" bonehead simple mechanical drawing packages and as yet haven't found one that approaches the obsolete Ashlar DrawingBoard and/or obsolete Autocad Autosketch (aka etch-a-sketch). Anybody got any pointers to a plain-jane 2d simple drafting package?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Thanks!

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Its not a every day EE tool, but for electro-optics guys like me, PSST for working with laser optics design nice for calculating cavity stability and divergence etc.

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

Can you be bothered to mention the ones you have already eliminated?

*-*-drafting-program+Draft-Choice-*-*+*-works-quite-well+no-longer-supported+*-introduction-to-CAD+most-intuitive+BONEHEAD-SIMPLE

Reply to
JeffM

QCad is fairly decent. It's free on Linux; not sure about Windows. Try:

-frank

Reply to
Frank Miles

In his previous thread on this identical topic, Weir was made aware of QCAD:

*-*-drafting-program+Draft-Choice-*-*+*-works-quite-well+no-longer-supported+*-introduction-to-CAD+most-intuitive+BONEHEAD.SIMPLE+*.previous.thread.*.*+QCad

The problem is that he hasn't given any indication that he used the information that he already received on several candidates.

Reply to
JeffM

You are correct. I should have taken notes and indicated my experience with DraftChoice, DeltaCad, QCad, CadStd, TinyCad, and a few more. In each instance I spent four hours, no more, no less, with each one. If I wasn't productive to the point where I would expect a student to be productive after a four hour class session with me leading the way, I "failed" the program. I will say that I plan on another couple of hours with CadStd because I was just on the knife edge of getting it to work the way I wanted it.

I'd LOVE to be able to use Ashlar's obsolete DrawingBoard, but they won't even return my calls to ask if I can teach using their old program. Anybody got a friendly contact at Ashlar?

My apologies to anybody who thought I hadn't heeded their advice.

Jim

*-*-drafting-program+Draft-Choice-*-*+*-works-quite-well+no-longer-supported+*-introduction-to-CAD+most-intuitive+BONEHEAD.SIMPLE+*.previous.thread.*.*+QCad

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Hello Todd,

Nice! Now if it only had wave digital filters in there, for the guys who have to cram it all into a cheap micro sans HW multiplier. Heck, companies like TI should sponsor that since it can lead to some serious MSP430 design-ins for them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to