Designing anti flicker spectacles

Greetings!

My name is Tom. I would really appreciate some feedback regarding the possibility of such a project.

The thing is; epilepsy, migraine and several other neurologic conditions are triggered by flickering light. This is a well established fact. Classic fluorescent/discharge tubes flicker on about

60-120hz rate, while modern light bulbs filcker in khz range (there is some residual low frequency flicker that still causes problems).

Since flickering light are major disability factor for me, I wouldlike to know if it possible somehow to counter/filter/block/neutralize the flicker of such lamps. (there is of course an option to simply change the light sources, but as you might guess this can=92t be done).

There was some research done with special tints that block certain frequencies (and hence neutralize the amplitude). But these tints proved to be ineffective.

I=92m familiar with only one attempt of a anti-flicker design. It=92s seems rather primitive. Here is a copy of passage (it=92s a bit long, but bare with me)- from =93Photosensitive epilepsy=94 by Harding and Jeavons

" The spectacle lens consisted of three components. The first was a photosensitive absorptive lens which reduced the range of brightness encountered and helped compen=ACsate for variations in the relation of the secondary stimulating light source and the luminance of the hazardous flicker. It seemed that an overall attenuation was beneficial on sunny days, whereas minimal or no attenuation was necessary for indoor situations such as viewing TV. The next layer was a thin polarizing film designed to exclude the contribution of specular reflections which arose from horizontal surfaces and were often the source of low frequency pulses of high luminance, e.g. rippling water reflecting sunlight. The third component of the lens was an optical correction incorporating prismatic and dioptic power to correct the patient's refractive error and any residual aberrations induced by oblique viewing through the reflector.

Although the use of a spectacle frame design which completely blocks the temporal peripheral visual field might constitute a safety hazard, protection from stimulation in this direction was thought at that time to be important. For this reason we used thin photosensitive absorptive panels at the side to attenuate brightness, and an aluminized inner surface to equate its transmission with that of the frontal lens system and to reflect the light source approximately toward the pupil. The aluminized film may also slightly enhance the speed of response of the photosensitive absorptive side panels. There was a rigid wrap-round portion to the frame, and the side was hinged about 25 mm from the front to produce folding spectacles. They were, however, far larger when folded than conventional spectacles.

In our initial studies of 12 patients, the anti-flicker glasses removed the PPR to IPS in every case. Since the photochrome layer is slow and could not possibly respond to the flash rate of the photostimulator. this was achieved by the contrast illumination of the light bulbs alone. The procedure was that we first established the frequency which would consistently provoke a PPR with the patient wearing the glasses but with the flicker-sensing circuit switched off. This circuit was then switched on and IPS was repeated. The provocative flash rate was tested on a number of occasions and then the circuit was switched off. The IPS was then repeated and a PPR obtained on each occasion. Although the glasses were found to be entirely effective they were not cosmetically attractive. In addition, the construction of the spherical half-silvered mirrors was difficult and some simpler method of providing a relatively stabilized illumination in front of the pupil was desirable. Wc therefore began working on a modified design. The main prob=AClem in simplifying construction was to provide an alternative means of channelling light into the eyes in such a way that its effectiveness would be independent of eye position. A thin plate of clear perspex (1.6 mm) was fastened to the rear of the spectacle frame, and the edge of the perspex was ground to give a 45=B0 prism which passed obliquely in front of the centre of the eye. The spectacle frame, which was fairly thick, was drilled, and two bulbs were positioned one above and one below the joint of the side frame (Fig. 6.13). Channels were drilled in the frame to connect the bulbs in series using the side frames as part of the circuit. The bulbs were

3mm tubular wire-ended full spectrum bulbs. They required a supply of 5 V, 0.05 A, giving a life of 100.000 hours. Holes were drilled in ihe perspex plale so lhat this fitted over the two bulbs on each side. Thus when the bulbs were illuminated, the light was internally reflected in the thin perspex plate, and then reflected off the 45" prism into the eye. The oblique prism was positioned to bisect the pupil, but complete light stabilization could not be achieved, and a compromise was reached in which the light was stabilized with respect to eye movement in the majority of inferior and superior positions. Since the prismatic edge was narrow there was minimal interference with normal vision... etc. "

Anyway; your thoughts on such a project?

Many thanks for reading.

Best regards.

Reply to
ilcraque

The more expensive a placebo, the better it works.

John

Flicker is perceived mainly by the rod receptors in your eye, rather than the cones. Rods are mainly in your peripheral vision, cones near the centre. There are a number of consequences from this.

- You might get SOME effect by selectively tinting the outside areas of some glasses to more or less cut out your peripheral vision.

- If you need to see something in very poor light (starlight for example), don't look directly at it. Use your peripheral vision, ie rods, and you'll see it better. You won't see its shape very well, and it won't be in colour, but I've avoided stepping on hedgehogs and suchlike small nocturnal creatures this way.

- Rods are better at picking up movement, they respond faster than cones. That means they see flicker better. That's why TV screens and lights sometimes seem to be flickering out the corner of your eye, but not when you look directly at them. I assume you are reading this response with your central vision on something which flickers, but does not bother you...

- However rods are not going to pick up the kHz flicker of modern lamps, the rhodopsin in them simply can't cycle between bleached / unbleached fast enough. 60Hz is probably near their limit, though some animals like parrots have a faster refresh rate - which is why they aren't interested in TV because it's just a mass of flicker to them! If kHz controlled lamps are a problem for you, is this only when they are warming up?

- Everyone's eyes are different. I found out I have lots more rods than most people (possibly fewer cones) when I got some glasses fitted. I saw lots of secondary images until they added an antireflection coating. The opticians said they saw this condition about twice a year - most folk don't see those reflections. There are many more variations in eyes. The point here is, if you get really badly affected by flicker, it may be you have more rods than most folk. This would be backed up if your colour vision is poor (fewer cones). Of course if you have EXCEPTIONALLY good colour vision you may be quadrachromatic (ie have an extra colour receptor most of us don't have) - but your name being Tom that seems unlikely as only females are known to have this mutation.

So although the above rambling does not tell you how to make some anti flicker optics, I think the next step would be to try looking through a couple of toilet rolls to block your peripheral vision completely, and see if this stops you feeling unwell when you look at things which normally give you problems. If blocking peripheral vision DOES help, at least you have some data to go on. You could also check if your colour vision is normal.

I do have one - silly - suggestion. You could use some virtual reality glasses (assuming these don't flicker to you) to relay the image from a TV camera mounted on them, to get real-time video of what you would normally see.

Nemo

Reply to
Nemo

Why not get some active polarizing shutter glasses like the old Asus specs and drive them with the flicker signal? You could probably mount photocells on the glasses and use their output to trigger the drive circuitry. They'd be good with any flickering light source, and if there were none present they wouldn't trigger. Multiple non-synched sources (e. g. flickering monitor and TV in a room lit with fluorescents) would even be handled if the glasses could respond fast enough.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

It sounds incredibly crude. If you were serious about it you would use Kerr or Pockel cells to generate a high speed optical shutter to keep the total light reaching the eye from flickering in the at risk frequency band. But this is easier said than done. If you have parts of the visual field that flicker then correcting for that will necessarily make the rest flicker in the opposite sense. Designs exist for peril sensitive sunglasses to protect pilots from flash blindness in a nuclear detonation and for rapatronic cameras. They are plenty fast enough. eg

Modern CFLs should not ordinarily cause visible flicker problems for epileptics unless they are faulty and about to fail.

You are being a bit unkind there John. Although what you say is true. There are definitely epileptics around with serious photosensitivity to certain flicker frequencies.

A quick and dirty test to see if the OPs flicker sensitivity is coming from the rods in peripheral vision is to wear a pair of the cheap red laser siting glasses for a while and see if the problem goes away. Tinted glasses won't hack it but that doesn't stop quacks from taking money off people.

I find whole wall shop displays of TVs showing the same picture somewhat disconcerting in my peripheral vision - worse in the old days of tubes where the flicker was much more pronounced than it is on LCDs.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

and also some new LED car tail lights when dimmed at night can be seen to flicker in peripheral vision ...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Well, here is my take on "is it possible somehow to counter/filter/block/neutralize the flicker of

Reply to
Robert Baer

..then send me a million dollars,and i will PLACE a guy named BO at your disposal...

Reply to
Robert Baer

...which is certainly _very_ annoying! And it happens not only in peripheral vision, but also in your central view, provided the relative motion of your line of sight and the object's is fast enough.

Pere

Reply to
oopere