Faulty Chinese generators....

Lucky man . Vaughn

Reply to
vaughn

They've been unionized/socialized and so can't afford to produce anything, just like the US.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

ything,

At least they design things right and honor warranties. Generac designed lousy stuff (horror stories on starters and rotors). Furthermore, they extorts $200 service fee for a 5 months old product with 2 years warranty. We will see what they say in court.

Reply to
linnix

Nonsense. The Japanese make very good Honda generators, the Germans make excellent Deutz engines which are available on generator sets from several makers, and at the top of the heap, undisputed worldwide reliability leader, is Caterpillar, still made in the USA. Just because you can't afford to buy one doesn't mean they aren't being made :-).

Reply to
Glen Walpert

ke

Generac probably make good generators too. But they also make lousy one. Furthermore, $200 fee to service a 5 months old generator is plain and simple: extortion. The $1727 question is: did they designed and planned it tis way?

Reply to
linnix

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 Oct 2011 08:08:59 -0700 (PDT)) it happened linnix wrote in :

I dunno about where you are, but here in the Netherlands there is a law that states that you should expect something like 1 to 2 years of unproblematic use out of something you buy, NO MATTER what is in the guarantee, and if it breaks down within that time they must fix it, replace it, or give you your money back. I am not sure if it is one, two, or three years atm. But it also depends on what you have been doing with it, used it for the purpose it was made for. In my view a generator is a generator, and it should be able to run thousands of hours continuously. It has nothing to to with power outages, you could be using it to power your house out in the boonies where there is no electricity. Unless of course they state that it has to be off every x hours for y hours. But not even sure that makes sense, as that has too many variables in it. like outside temperature, loading, etc. And yes there are good German generators, just google. A while ago, after I was without electricity for most of a day, I did some web search, and found a lot of good stuff. Also used big ones. But power has been OK since then, so.. and all the exhaust fumes from a diesel, wrong wind and it fills up your house. Hopefully I get that U pile critical before the next power outage. No air pollution... ;-) And, I have read, cold fusion is being sold again too. For a for thousand dollars you have one. Will it help? Or work? I dunno.

But to take them to court? Maybe more expensive then buying a real nice generator. Just blog about it so everybody sees they sell crap.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

United States District Court of Southern California

The law does not matter. Only 9 out of 12 votes matter.

k.

Two years warranty.

In refusal for service, Defendants refer to statement in warranty: "Warranty will not apply to Units used for prime power in place of existing utility power (where utility power is present) or in place of utility power where utility power service normally does not exist."

It is unclear whether it means

  1. Generator and utility powers are present and connected
  2. Generator and utility powers are present but not connected.

Statement 1 is reasonable, but was never the case for Plantiff's installation. Generator and utility powers were never connected.

Statement 2 is unreasonable. Can standby power be used when utility power is present one foot away? What about ten feet away, one mile away or hundred miles away? What is the distinction?

rs.

enerator.

That's what they are counting on. Most people can't pay someone to do it, but my time is cheaper than their attorney's.

I am drafting papers and will follow through.

Reply to
linnix

True, true. I need to restrain myself from political commentary better.

But, are Caterpillar and those German and Japanese producers unionized?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Probably not intentionally. My guess is they made a crap product and nobody accounted for field failures, so they'll charge whatever they can get away with.

So next time, buy one from somebody else; that's the Magic of the Free Market!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Many years back there was a National Geographic article where they went to a Chinese appliance factory. The factory was HUGE. The outer perimeter of the factory was where they made refrigerators. At the inner core of the factory they built rockets capable of carrying nuclear warheads. I think the name of the factory was Long March refrigerator and rocket company.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Not true. The entire extent of the Government's responsibility is to see to it that whatever contract you agreed to with the vendor is honored.

But in your country, you don't have a Constitution, do you?

Have you personally ever heard of the concept of a "contract?"

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Perhaps it needed an oil change. 200 hours is equivalent to 16000 miles for a car.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

e in a

But something is broken inside, it would not even turn. Even with 5 months old car, it can run rough without oil change. Would a car dealer charge you $200 to look at a broken 5 months old car? I have never in my life heard of warranty service fee, not in the United States.

Reply to
linnix

make

ause

dy

Take a look at Amazon review. I am not alone.

And Legal Market. There are laws against extortions. Was it a dumb low level employee? Or was it a corporate policy? Inquiring legal mind want to know.

Reply to
linnix

A contract must be Legal, Reasonable and Constitional. You can't just make up all the terms.

They says "Can't use standby power without utilities power around".

My response: None of your fscking business.

Can i swear in Federal Court? Any laws against it?

Reply to
linnix

It sounds like your biggest problem is the dealer, not the generator.

Reply to
D. Peter Maus

rve in a

ump

er

y,

The biggest problem is the manufacturer's warranty policies.

The dealer said according to manufacturer instructions by phone, who cited the warranty. I did not sign the warranty contract before the purchase. Now i disagree with the contract after receiving it, so I am entitled to full refund, with the purchase null and void.

Reply to
linnix

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:57:38 -0700) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

You do not have to emphasise you are an idiot so much, it already shows:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There are also "implied contacts", which vary by jurisdiction.

This would clearly fall under an implied contract (a generator's whole purpose for existence is...).

No. Maybe. Contempt of Court is entirely at the judge's discretion. It's also not smart to piss off the judge. ...a double loss, with no gain possible.

Reply to
krw

Extortion? Did they threaten you children's lives?

Reply to
krw