Fanless or near fanless PC 2014 ? (sub 5 watts)

Do

:)

Simple as I made it from stuff I had lying around. A couple of pieces of c opper flashing. One piece shaped by hammering it over a bit of wood. A co uple of pieces of copper tubing . All soldered together to make a hollow piece with the tubing to let water in and out. An aquarium pump and a larg e peanut butter jar. The pump took water from the jar and delivered it to the heat sink and then the water went back to the jar. No radiator or mill ed passages in the heat sink.

I did this at least six year ago so do not remember the details very well. It was a lot quieter than the heat sink with a fan. You could probably de sign it as a thermal siphon and have it dead quiet.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Thermal siphon = Heat pipe

--

Rick
Reply to

On Monday, September 8, 2014 8:44:43 PM UTC, rickman wrote

Not really. A heat pipe is a tube which has some liquid in it. At the heat source the liquid changes to gas. The gas goes to the cool end of the tube where it condenses. The condensed liquid is transported by capillary action to the hot end of the tube.

A thermal siphon is all liquid. The liquid at the warm end expands and rises to the cool end where it gets denser. It then goes down a separate tube to the hot end.

Heat pipe one tube. Thermal siphon two tubes.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Yes, you are correct. :)

The main difference I believe is that the heat tube works pretty well. How well does the thermal siphon work? I thought about trying this once but I couldn't make myself believe it would move much water. I also had trouble figuring out how it would get started. I figured the heat source or the radiator needed to be in one of the riser tubes, best if one is in each. If the source and sink are both equally positioned over the two risers there would be equal pressure and not much flow if any. Will random fluctuations get it started? Will longer risers make it work better?

--

Rick
Reply to

Den tirsdag den 9. september 2014 03.33.18 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@krl.org:

the capillary action is really only needed when the pipe isn't vertical

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Thermal siphons also work well or at least well enough for many things. No one ever said that a thermal siphon needs or should be symmetrical.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I'm asking about the symmetry. I gave thought to building one and realized it may need to have the heating and cooling sinks arranged to give a push to the initial flow. I believe it is the difference in pressure in the two columns that create the flow so that taller columns should work better. If I ever get back to cooling a desktop I may give this a try.

--

Rick
Reply to

I gave thought to building one and

It needs to have the heating and cooling arranged so that it gives a push at all times. Longer tubes do help as well as bigger diameter tubes.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 00:48:54 -0400, rickman Gave us:

Just add a peltier plate to it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'm talking about getting it started. Just like an induction motor has a small number of coils which give the initial push to a stationary rotor, the heat source and cold source need to be a little offset so one chimney fills with the warm fluid and the other fills with the cold fluid. Otherwise it may not start up. But once in motion the hot and cold fluid will obviously follow the flow and continue the siphon.

--

Rick
Reply to

As long as the hot pipe goes up at the start, and more than it does down, it will start.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Until the flow has started, which pipe is the hot pipe?

--

Rick
Reply to

On 12 Sep 2014 22:25:37 GMT, Jasen Betts Gave us:

Reminds me of Rutger Hauer making "pattern".

Well... the machine they used anyway.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:37:07 -0400, rickman Gave us:

Usually, the esophagus.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

the one that initially goes up the steepest.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

push at all times. Longer tubes do help as well as bigger diameter tubes.

has

one

and

down, it will start.

The one headed up from the heat source. Density change starts the flow.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

And if they both go straight up? That was my point. The fluid circuit needs to be designed with an asymmetry to assure that the thing will start up ok.

--

Rick
Reply to

Ok, I see. One pipe is "up" from the heat source and the other pipe is "down" from the cold sink. So how does the unit tell which I intended to be up and which is down?

--

Rick
Reply to

Sounds like you're trying to design-out metastability.

Reply to
krw

arranged to

a push at all times. Longer tubes do help as well as bigger diameter tubes.

has

so one

and

down, it will start.

flow.

The up pipe is top on both heat exchangers.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk