Fake product queries

I am curious as to how many (on the average) fake/phony product queries you get per month. These "queries" have a rather wide range of "sources": college departments, hospitals, construction companies, electronic equipment manufacturers, etc.

We stopped wasting our time in vetting the source of each one ages ago.

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Fluke Electronics product RFQ From: Keith Fangohr

Reply to
Robert Baer

.

I get stuff like that once in a blue moon. I think they used to come in wa ves... very small waves. I don't recall seeing any in likely close to a ye ar, but then I don't give them any attention anymore. Clearly they are try ing to work a scam.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

We had a web shop where we sold children?s clothing

Once in a while we got huge orders from other countries

Typically this would be an order done paid by with a stolen credit card

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Several per day - they get binned - the usual giveaway is they don't name any products, they simply want a list of everything with discounts.

"Have you receive my email? like last email i have mentioned we are supply marine equipments, so if you have any require,"

"Please send in your best offer for attached products, Kindly qoute item

number 4 in a different invoice, as it will be shipped to a defferent location."

The "Junk" button on Thunderbird makes short work of them...

John ;-#)#

ges ago.

d:

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Some institutions must go out for N bids to buy anything. They probably have a preferred supplier all lined up.

But then, both of those requests are not in typical English purchasing syntax, so may be faked from asia or somewhere for some unknown reason.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

.

I used to get them from my website that clearly stated that all items were NOS surplus. Requests for prices on long lists of fuses or ICs were common. Now that Earthlink has mostly shut down, they closed peoples websites with out notice so I don't currently have one.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

I get a query every couple days wanting a price list and description of my products, NEVER mentioning ANYTHING about our area of interest. I just toss those. Yeah, right, they want to buy 1000 units but don't even mention what they want to buy.

Then, every few weeks I get some like you mention, where they want to buy hundreds of Fluke DVMs or computer motherboards or something that we do not sell. (We are a manufacturer of motion control products, not a distributor of general electronic stuff.)

About two years ago I got a call from my bank asking if I was expecting a big check. I was not. Some scammer had mailed a fabricated check to my bank with no prior notice, and then wanted me to send some portion to them. I got in touch with the trucking company the check was drawn on, and they were in total panic mode as a bunch of these bogus checks had been sent to various outfits, and many deposited them. They were not going to be able to meet their payroll! I managed to get the check, cover letter and envelope from my bank, and reported that I had all this to the postal inspection service, but never even heard back.

So, that's MY bogus order story.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I haven't had one of these in a while and I just got one today...

Hello, I would like to inquire about Trickle Charger you sell,so email me availability and let me know the types of payment you accept.Hope to hear back from you ASAP.

Best Regards,

Bill Dyer Dyer Product Inc, San Francisco, CA 94133

The funny part is they didn't send it to the email address listed on the web site. Rather they sent it to an email address associated with posting here!

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

** ANOTHER fake e-mail, no order this time ** Dear Supplier,

My name is Amanda McDonnell, The Director of Procurement Harvard University. The University is required to have a W-9 (modified) on file for every companies with which it does business.

Please include a completed W-9 to your response.

Thank you!

Amanda McDonnell Director of Procurement, Financial Accounting and Reporting Harvard University

1033 Massachusetts Avenue, 2nd Floor Cambridge, MA 02138 P: (617) 714-9955 F: (617) 714-0073
Reply to
Robert Baer

ges ago.

d:

What is the return email address?

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Amanda McDonnell

Reply to
Robert Baer

Here is a well-crafted fake RFQ:

Robert Baer

Subject: Request For Quotation From: Rich McDowell (Add as Preferred Sender) Date: Tue, Jun 23, 2020 8:54 am To: snipped-for-privacy@oil4lessllc.com Hello Sales,

We need a quote proposal on this items (1) Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (2) Intel Core i7-9700KF 3.6 GHz Eight-Core LGA 1151 Processor (3) Zebra 800015-440 YMCKO Color Ribbon -

200 Images - i Series.

Please advise price and availability before we list the quantities needed.

Looking forward to hear back from you.

Regards,

Rich McDowell President T: 810-216-9201 | F: 810-216-4402 Mohr Engineering | 1351 Rickett Rd | Brighton, MI 48116.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Subject: GARMIN GPS UNITS NEEDED! From: Dan Ariens (Add as Preferred Sender) Date: Tue, Jun 23, 2020 12:44 pm To: snipped-for-privacy@oil4lessllc.com Attn:Sales Dept,

I would like to request a quote on Garmin Gpsmap with the model number below :

Manufacturer Mfg Part #

1) Garmin Gpsmap 78sc 010-00864-02 ........15 Units 2) Garmin Gpsmap 78s 010-00864-01 ........15 Units

Condition:New (NOT Refurbished) Please take note Shipping method to be determined after receiving your quotation. Payment via credit card :Visa/Master

Awaiting to hear from you with the pricing and availability I look forward to your response asap.

Dan Ariens ARIENS SPECIALTY BRANDS LLC.

401 S Wright Rd Janesville WI 53546 Phone:608-728-7733
Reply to
Robert Baer

Mohr Engineering is a real company: However, the senders email address is slightly different as: mohr(s)engineering.com Note the added "s".

Digging into whois, I find that the domain registration for mohrsengineering.com is now one day old: That's a sure sign of a "throw away" domain.

It's difficult to tell where they're located. Traceroute isn't very helpful. The IP address of the server seems to be a dumping ground or throw away bulk DNS names with 678 domains sharing the same server. Email works, but nothing else:

The registrant, WhoisGuard Protected, is allegedly located somewhere in Panama. Trying to contact the registrant is unlikely to succeed because they are hiding behind the stupid ICANN privacy restrictions.

along with all the other spammers and scam artists.

I don't know exactly what their scam might be, but since this seems to be a chronic problem for you, I thought it might be useful to demonstrate how to research such messages.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Domain name: MOHRSENGINEERING.COM Registry Domain ID: 2541031096_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namecheap.com Registrar URL:

Updated Date: 0001-01-01T00:00:00.00Z Creation Date: 2020-06-23T06:21:07.00Z Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2021-06-23T06:21:07.00Z Registrar: NAMECHEAP INC Registrar IANA ID: 1068 Registrar Abuse Contact Email: snipped-for-privacy@namecheap.com Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.6613102107 Reseller: NAMECHEAP INC

Namecheap 11400 W Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90302

certain fraud Reply to FBI if you care

Anthony Stewart

I think the overall idea is to have the victim buy and deliver the stuff on some kind of payment promise that looks OK but is fractured. Money orders of any type and source can be counterfeited. Even real genuine money orders can be cashed in before presentation. I know of a real genuine money order bought at a reliable store here in Lacey where this happened. One can cash a check these daze using their 'phone. Security of process sux. Person "X" at store generated MO properly and handed it over to buyer. Later "X", having all info, and their 'phone, cashed it. POOF!

Hell, an industrious person might even cash a check using their 'phone and ten seconds later cash it at an ATM; double your money and double your "fun". Generate 10 checks and in a time space of a few minutes double them this way. "Instant" riches.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Rick, We received an email from the same Bill Dyer requesting 10 of our bike racks to be shipped to New Zealand. I am assuming it's some kind of scam. Your thoughts? Jack M.

Reply to
Jack M

tm ,

cks

You can converse with him a bit to ask questions about shipping and payment , etc. While they will have canned responses I'm sure, it will take someon e's time to read your post. You should put as much junk and promotional in fo as possible. Spend some time discussing part numbers and finish. It wo uld seem they at least looked at your web site to know something you sell.

I don't know how the scam works exactly. Usually they don't want the items . They want money. One way of getting that is to pay with a larger check than the purchase and get the difference in cash somehow. Usually this is done in person with a check from some apparently reliable source. Buy $3,0

00 of stuff, use a $5,000 check and get $2,000 back.

I'm curious about how they plan to pull this off. On the other hand, by ac knowledging the email you are reinforcing that it is a valid email address and may get more from others. It might be best if you just ignore it compl etely.

Is there any reason why anyone in New Zealand would want to buy your bike r acks? Where in the world are you?

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

11:55 AM (5 minutes ago) to me Why is this message in spam?

It is similar to messages that were identified as spam in the past.

Greetings, Hope you're good. Through my search for Barn Birdhouse, I came across your address. Kindly let me know if you have it for sales. Also what are your payment terms and do you consider credit card an option? Will await your responses.

Best Regards,

Bill Dyer Dyer Product Inc, Glendale, CA 91203, USA

Reply to
Michael Langford