fake germanium transistor?

I stumbled upon this one.

If memory doesn't fail AC128s were produced in a very different case, I never saw them in what appears a TO-5 one. I don't need that transistor, just asking if anybody has seen them in TO-5 case, otherwise it could be one of the many fake components sold on the bay.

On a similar subject, I have somewhere a bag of rather strange germanium transistors in TO-5 case I got at a surplus store years ago and never identified: PNP with grounded base and low (very consistent among them) hFe, very long leads. I don't have their part name here but I recall digging the net to no avail for hours as it's very likely a custom product. The grounded base suggests an use as common base amplifiers in RF, any thoughts?

Thanks!

Reply to
asdf

asdf Inscribed thus:

I agree ! I do have several genuine AC128 (Mullard). I've never seen one in that style case.

There are all sorts of weird and exotic devices kicking around. Over the past few days I've been searching the web for an "OT114" device specifications. I've a couple of dozen new unpackaged ones in a box. The best guess from playing with one or two is that they are triacs.

Happy new year all.

--
Best Regards:
                        Baron.

those cases look too fresh and new too.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

AFAIK all the Mullard AC1xx transistors were in TO1 case, some germanium (with AC prefix) from continental Europe had a smaller diameter, like a

*VERY* tall TO18 and hermetic flange.

The Motorola branded TO5 AC128s could very well be Kosher - its hard to see counterfeiters faking a device in a case style it was never released in. The AC126/127/128 were often found clamped to a heatsink - a different case style would complicate things.

Reply to
Ian Field

I don't like the logo used - it's too differently stylized to be Motorola. An odd shortcoming in a counterfeit.

The Motorola circled M had filled peaks, not thin/thick strokes. Motorola date codes were pretty unambiguous.

Also, I don't think Motorola ever bothered to compete in this product line, or would have attempted to do so in this manner. 0nly 8 or so house numbers in germanium TO1. No Pro-electron types. No Motorola germanium in TO5 was ever rated above 200mW, no TO39 part ever rated above 300mW.

Another germanium part - the AC141 - is reported as being marked by Motorola in TO39 packages, but I've never seen one and regard this as being the product of an amateur enthusiast's imagination.

Both AC128 and AC141 are Pro-Electron registered parts with defined body styles. Their electrical ratings could be provided in TO5 or TO39 package sizes by other registered part types - there was no reason ever to produce the variation shown.

RL

Reply to
legg

There is one glaring anomaly I didn't spot - The listing says its NPN, the AC126 & 128 were PNP - the AC127 was NPN.

Reply to
Ian Field

- and there's no claim for a germanium material type or manufacturer either - so it can't be a serious attempt at counterfeiting.

If the actual manufacturer and logo could be reconciled, I'd even be willing to list it as a new part type.

I've requested more info from the vendor.

RL

Reply to
legg

The vendor has not acknowledged any communication.

RL

Reply to
legg

Surprise surprise!

Reply to
Ian Field

Also a note saying the vendor could not be reached during the Chinese New Year. This on an Italian language website......

Reply to
legg