External speaker wiring for iPod

I bought a bargain external speaker and mic for an iPOD. I wanted to play a tape recorder device direct into the speaker by plugging the speaker + mic into the 3.5mm (1/8 inch) output of a tape recorder.

It wouldn't work even when changed some of the connections after I had checked the pinout for the four connectors on the 3.5mm plug and

When I opened up the external speaker + mic there was circuit board. What does the circuit board do?

And why does the speaker have four connections ???

Reply to
mike

I think you've described an amplified speaker powered by the ipod.

Reply to
Meat Plow

On 10/2/2009 10:46 AM Meat Plow spake thus:

Yep. That puppy's not gonna work without external power (5 volts, I'm guessing?).

David Nebenzahl

Does the output on the tape recorder drive a set of headphones?

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

THIS IS PRETTY MUCH CUT AND DRY

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV

What is? That you are a retarded fool? We all already knew that.

Go away, boy lover.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I WILL SEND A PROTO- BOT TO ASSISTS YOU WITH YOUR I-POD WIRING PROJECT

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV