New iPod wont charge in older powered speaker base

I just upgraded from a Gen2 iPod Nano to a Gen5. I have a nice little (Altec Lansing) powered speaker base that also charges the iPod.

When I put the new iPod into the base it says "charging is not supported with the accessory".

The new iPod does charge through the USB cable when connected to the computer.

Does anyone have any pin-outs on what may have changed in the connecter so that I can possibly put power on the new pins?

Reply to
Jack B. Pollack

Very odd. Apple used the same pinouts for several generations of iPod. I wonder why they changed it.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 02:28:51 -0400, T wrote as:

I also was under the impression that the I/O port would be the same as for previous models - I baught a A/V cable for my late 2009 Touch the other day and had the similar 'this accessory is not supported by this iPod' message. As far as getting a full pinout for the I/O connectors - I had a good hunt on the net without any proper luck though someone must have the information I couldnt find it anywhere !! - it going to lead to a real mess when some iPod accessories work and some wont with the connectors all looking identical and there is no physical identification of what will and wont work.. shambles ensues - more sales! Charlie+

Reply to
Charlie+

es

The original iPod used a Firewire power/data cable, and Firewire has

+12V power (or more... ). The newest iPod uses USB power/data cable, and USB power is +5V at 100 to 500 mA. There's no reason to assume that the same pins on the connector are used, but the power situation on the two designs is definitely different.
Reply to
whit3rd

What about rewiring the pins and adding a v reg?