Attenuating headphone side of 1/8" jack

I don't think this is possible, but want to run it by the experts:

Using a standard 1/8 stereo headphone jack

is it possible to attenuate with a resistor the HEADPHONE output without attenuating the speaker output. I know that I can plug the headphones into an attenuate or volume control, but don't want to do this.

Thanks

Reply to
Jack B. Pollack

Yes its possible. The headphone output is separate from the speaker out at that jack. They share the common and usually the speakers are disconnected when the plug is inserted. You may need to consider impedance matching to the phones. Can you say a little more about what you want to do and what equipment you have?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

is

into

A little detail into what I am doing: The Mac G5 does not disconnect the external speaker when you plug headphones into the headphone jack on the front panel (I have confirmed this is a 'feature' in several newsgroups).

My amplified speakers have a headphone jack that does disconnect the speakers when used. The problem is that the headphone jack it is also amplified making the headphones really loud. I would like to keep the speaker setting set where it is comfortable and reduce the headphone output so it is not so loud when used.

Everyone in my family uses/likes different headphones and will be plugging in there own personal MP3 player headphones whew needed, so modifying the headphones is out of the question. I would like to avoid a volume control or external attenuator as it is just another thing not to be able to find when needed (and may also be forgotten to use). I would like to internally modify the jack to achieve this result.

Pinouts (I Think)

1 GND 2 R IN 3 R Speaker SW 4 L Speaker SW 5 L IN

** Look at PN16-3155E **

Thanks

Reply to
Jack B. Pollack

It may be as simple as this:

Try it.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

As a bloke who likes to do things the easy way, I suggest you just use a 3.5mm stereo plug to 2x 3.5mm stereo socket adaptor (eg Jaycar PA-3582). That way you can plug both the headphones and the amplified speakers in at the same time, and just turn off the speakers when you just want to listen to headphones

- cost is about $2.80, and you don't have to buggerise around with your G5. And control the volume by the G5 as usual

David

"Jack B. Pollack" wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

newsgroups).

plugging

the

control

find

internally

Thanks

Reply to
Jack B. Pollack

--
Since the different headphones are all going to have different
sensitivities and since different people consider what\'s "too loud"