Even Chinese Are Rejecting Mediocre American University Education

I've not only heard of it but I'm also well aware of its limitations.

Ever tried to simulate "squegging" in a bipolar Baxandall class-D oscillato r with a high value inductor? Spice is a useful tool, but no substitute for reality.

He wasn't a fireman, but a physicist giving a lecture about the project as part of a distinguished visiting lecturer series. I can't remember whether the lecture was organised by the NSW IEEE or the Royal society of NSW - pos sibly both acting together - but as an active member of both organisations I did end up talking to him before the lecture.

The low distortion oscillator stopped being a variant of the baxandall osci llator a few years ago - when the John Chan model in Spice showed that even a heavily gapped inductor was going to generate harmonics only 95dB below the fundamental.

Without a potential customer I've got zero motivation to convert the existi ng circuit diagram into working hardware.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

> SCNR.

> >> It generally is.
> >
> > It depends what is going on. A university is the sum of it's current
> > employees, with the administrators having a disproportionate effect.
> >
> > No amount of ivy-covered wall has any effect on what gets taught
> > inside them.
> >

> It still does not take away past performance which is a good parameter
> to look at.
>
> [...]
>
> --
> Regards, Joerg
>
> http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
bill.sloman

bitrex

Yeah, almost like there's billions of dollars of money to be made in trying to cajole and pressure citizens into making the "wrong" ones. And enormous social pressure to do the same as everyone else is.

American society is organized such that whatever choices you make, you'll pay for them, somehow or other. There's always a cost.

Reply to
bitrex

You needn't prove me right. I am.

Reply to
krw

They're called "Democrats". They have no need to think for themselves.

Yet you somehow want to deny that fact.

Reply to
krw

mo

ay

What bitrex is talking about are businessmen. The Democrats are more intere sted in getting political power than they are in making money - though clea rly political power can help you make money, as every Republican is well aw are.

Both Republicans and Democrats would be happier if people didn't think for themselves, and - like krw - just churned out boiler-plate responses to eve ry question. Even the American electorate has some capacity to think for th emselves - three million more of them were right about Trump than wrong - b ut the American electoral process does seem to be designed to minimise the consequences of this unfortunate independence.

He just said it. How is that "denying the fact"?

Krw can be spectacularly incoherent.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

We all know that krw is convinced that he's right - all the time. Saves all that worry about evidence and facts. It's good for a giggle from time to time.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And why would I want to do that? If I'd need a university education today I'd check the cost of numerous places and then go to one that is reasonable. I found pedigree and famousness of an academic institution to be not very relevant during in my career.

I never lived on campus. Never would. Some universities have such a requirement for the foirst year or so which is quite nonsensical. I am sure there are tricks to get around that.

Then be smarter about where to get an education. Even in super-pricey California it can be done for a lot less:

Or as I said before, go overseas. That's what a lot of folks did when I studied.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I never gave in to social pressure. Those are just excuses. Fact is, one does not have to slip into an unbearable financial situation and then blame government, society or whatever for it. To assign blame correctly one only needs a mirror.

The trick is to pay a lot less. It's easy and one does not have to be particularly smart for that, just have sufficient discipline. And that can be trained.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well, I did.

$50/h in today's Dollars was completely unattainable back then. Even $5/h was a stretch because there were lots of people who want to tutor. Competition -> low pay. There were only very few who'd be willing to "bench press" 100lbs loads of Italian Salami at a time into racks all day long. Hardly any competition -> high pay.

Not my experience.

This was as a student at high school. The pay there was by far the highest. At least 30% above anything else. However, the first couple of weeks I felt aching in muscles I didn't even know a human body has.

I personally know people who were and are self-sufficient. Mostly because they don't have moms and dads who are investment bankers or dentists.