EV Charging in the UK

It is already possible in Liverpool, if you leave your house empty for a few days, to repurchase all your sockets, light switches and water taps from a local secondhand shop within a few days.

--

Roger Hayter
Reply to

se

Larkin is a trip. He hates Teslas so much he tries to rag on them all the time. He has no real facts to use against them so he takes pictures when t he chargers aren't used and tries to claim that is the normal case. If eit her of the two charging stations in Truckee were that minimally used, Tesla would have never built the other one.

That thing is so small. It looks like it should have a wind up key. Jeeze , I see why he has Tesla envy. John, just give in to your desires and get a model 3. But then you probably should get in line for a model Y. You ma y have to wait a while since you will be far from the head of the line, but they will probably be able to get you one by the end of 2020 after they ha ve build a couple hundred thousand.

--

  Rick C.

  ----- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ----- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Why do you say 230 volts? The US standard is 240 volts.

"240Volt: 240 volts is a specific voltage which may be supplied to a commer cial facility in addition or as an alternative to 208 volts. It is provided

y with 208 volts."

th-American-Voltage.htm

--

  Rick C.

  ----+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ----+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 11:02:20 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote :

It seems in the UK their distribution to the home is mostly underground. S o no point in talking about what trees do to power lines.

The real point is that by running a separate earth it doesn't become hot if the neutral is broken. The PEN (combined neutral and protective earth) is a hazard waiting to be an accident.

s a combined neutral and protective earth. This is done to save on the cos t of the wiring.

The same as itself? Or the same regardless of what happens (which is not t rue if you read about the TN-C-S systems that use a PEN wire to the house)?

h separated and run through the home.

metal facilities in the home are "bonded" to the common ground/neutral conn ection this junction box.

ommon arrangement.

It just seems a flawed system which has the only advantage of saving a sing le wire in the run from the transformer to the house. When you run the cop per wire around the house this likely ends up using more copper than just r unning a separate earth wire, no?

--

  Rick C.

  ---+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ---+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

How many there already have EVs? I expect the EV issue was not an issue at all and it was killed because the increased tax was not very popular, espe cially with the diesel owners. Was there a meeting where they discussed thi s? How many EV owners showed up?

--

  Rick C.

  ---++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ---++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

What does that say about the people who live there? They elected them. St upid is as stupid does.

--

  Rick C.

  --+-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

On this subject you are just as willfully blind as Larkin, but in a different direction.

Which bit of his last paragraph is difficult for you to comprehend?

You have been shown photos illustrating the problem in another city. Many parts of London (and many other cities) are the same.

You haven't even been to the UK, yet you claim to know more about living here than those that do. That makes you look foolish.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Once every 3 weeks for 5 minutes? You may have a point in general, but this kind of argument doesn't help. For me the need to perform any form of maintenance every single day (charging is a form thereof) would be a sure deal breaker.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Is it? Electric energy production efficiency is between 30..43% and there are no monstrous batteries to be disposed. Mostly plain metal, fully recyclable. You are, for sure, saving your piece of the planet and nobody cares about the piece of those folks anyway, so right, what's the fuss?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

My 3yo car has just broken the always remote limit of 20kkm. In total, not per year. If it is under 2km one way, I prefer a walk.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Of course the UK won't able to afford the food it imports after it has left the EU, which would put the UK negotiators between a rock and a hard place, but people like Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage fly off to Paris when they feel hungry.

Cursitor Doom may not have access to these kinds of solutions, and he can't think far enough ahead to realise that he might need them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The title does actually say "Charging in the UK" and trailing mains cables carrying 230V across pavements is definately not allowed, from the trip hazard alone. In the UK we have a growing 'Compo culture' from a group collectively referred to (by supermarket and shops) as 'Slippers and trippers'

Reply to
Andrew

Of course, in the UK drivers of heavy vans or HGV's never park halfway up the pavement do they (shattering all the paving stones in the process) ?

Reply to
Andrew

don't forget "Off the Road Vehicles"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
charles

A cull of people who don't watch where they put their feet with every step. What sort of clueless halfwit installs trip hazards on a kerb?

The small pole thing looks more plausible although they will get very interesting when SUVs and delivery vans mount the kerb and smash them. You only have to look at the state of roadside bollards and smashed up paving slabs to see how it will end.

I wonder how well they will work after being crushed?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

nde

some

et

r diesels,

s who

, and

ful

e one

e at

ssed

Often those closest to a problem can be blind to the solution.

My post above is simply referring to the math. EVs in the UK are around 20

0,000 out of 37 million registered. That's about 0.5%. No, I don't think there was any real issue with the number of EVs charging on the curb. It i s very much more likely the other 99.5% didn't like the bigger tax.

How much more simple can it be?

But then maybe you are right. Maybe the issue is a bigoted hatred for EVs. Did anyone at the meeting chant "Make the UK Great Again"?

--

  Rick C.

  --+-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Oh, I didn't realize you don't use a cell phone.

--

  Rick C.

  --++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

More often ignorance of a situation leads people to be armchair quarterbacks proselytising too simplistic "solution" that won't work.

Mechanical engineers hate people that think everything can be made from string and bent metal. Or there's the "its only software", etc etc etc.

Actually only part of the arithmetic, and for the easy part of the problem. Unfortunately the difficult bits need to be addresses too.

What on earth are you blathering about?

You refuse to believe you might not know everything relevant, just like people suffering from Dunning-Krueger syndrome.

In order to avoid recognising your ignorance, you seem to want to invent conspiracy theories.

Away from electronics, you and Larkin are the two sides of the same coin.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

intuple

nts

be

sue

ar,

any

ng

think

It is

EVs.

You complain that my analysis of this event is flawed, but you provide no f actually based analysis of your own.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

--

  Rick C.

  --+++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Actually, I do use a cell phone. I celebrated the moment when my brand new Galaxy something was kind enough to die and switched back to Nokia

6020. Smaller, lighter, doesn't require frequent charging, has a normal keypad with detectable keypress feedback, I am no longer by far the fastest chain in the control loop and it sounds no worse than the Samsung. Exactly what a phone should be.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski