EV Charging in the UK

I've mentioned that here before. I think it may require more than just off

-peak charging. To avoid local overloads from a concentration of BEVs char ging at higher rates than just level 1, it may require staging the charging . The cars are already pretty smart so they can indicate to the wall unit how much charge they need and when the owner wants to use it next. The wal l unit can coordinate through the utility to get the car charged by the ind icated time.

My concern is that adding a 30 amp circuit to each home in a neighborhood c an add enough capacity to overload it compared to the design capacity. Thi nk of a ferry boat. It is designed to hold some number of cars and some nu mber of people, mostly a single passenger per car, with a safety factor. T hen people start driving EVs with an extra 500 or 1,000 lbs each and one da y the cars happen to be full of people and the ferry wallows and sinks.

The ferry operator won't let the boat sink. He will be on top of it enough to realize he has to limit the number of cars on such a day. A utility ca n't go into a neighborhood in the coldest day of the year and tell people t hey have to turn off their heat pumps or not charge their cars... unless, t he put the cars on a coordinated network so they can be staged.

Utilities tried this in some places with home heating systems. So clearly there is potential for a problem. I want them to think about the EV proble m and take action on the coordination of home charging before it creates pr oblems and they solve it by upgrading equipment and getting the public serv ice commission to allow them to raise the rates.

--

  Rick C.

  +-+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

That's a big difference with electrics. They recharge on slowing down so get about 80% back to the motor through the battery. That is one of the reasons why they are much cheaper to fuel.

--

  Rick C.

  +-++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Define "viable".

Sufficient for all the purposes you imagine, e.g. charging EVs overnight in winter in Scotland - no.

For solid physics/chemistry with solid numbers and without meaningless adjectives, see the resource lauded by *everybody* from The Greens to Big Oil:

MacKay includes several options for the UK future, without preferring any. But he does insist on solid science and that the arithmetic adds up.

You continue to ignore the parlous state of our electricity industry.

Why am I not surprised that your impression of the UK is formed from watching TV programmes.

Come here, open your eyes.

Correct, since last winter was noticeably mild - as I clearly stated.

There is more difference in normal winters, and the difference should be understood in the context of >>> The big problem is that there is nothing like enough electricity

Come here and have a look; see for yourself.

You seem to be basing your understanding of the UK on TV programmes. What would you think of someone that based their understanding of the US on Baywatch and Midsummer Murders and NCIS and The Wire and The West Wing?

In some respects the US is a third world country. Just kidding.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

In the UK many dwellings have no (zero) allocated parking. Residents have to take pot luck finding somewhere, anywhere, on the streets.

In the UK many cities refuse to grant planning permission for offices with adequate numbers of parking spaces. They know the roads don't have the capacity and want to force use of public transport.

USA != UK.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

uires an earth rod with sufficiently low resistance. I'm willing to bet EV s are designed to be the same as double insulated tools so electrifying the body simply won't happen. But you still need the earth rod!

rs, are galvanically isolated from the chassis.

faults and there are separate positive and negative HV contactors that are not engaged until after an initial fault check. Even if one of the contact ors fails short the system is still safe.

ults

One problem in the UK is that the PEN can break leaving the safety earth at a high voltage in the house. Even though the car is essentially a double insulated thing, the ground pin on the connector may well be connected to t he chassis making it hot! I don't think and RCD anywhere in the line will trip since the current will still be balanced in the line and neutral. But instead of flowing back to the transformer it will be flowing out of the s afety earth and through a person touching the car. I think this is why the y require a TT grounding method for EV charging.

So anyone know if the car body is connected to the safety earth?

--

  Rick C.

  -+-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

I think just about all properties in the UK can easily manage 2-3 kw for car charging but the problem will be a distribution one. There was a gas outage in a small Yorkshire village a few years ago and the gas company gave everyone an electric fan heater. When the evening came and they were all turned on the grid went off due to local overloading. I think they brought in a diesel generator until the gas leak was fixed.

You also can't run a mains cable over a public footpath to charge your car in the road. People with drives will be ok but a lot of homes do not have drives or some form of off road parking.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail	rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Rick's enthusiasm for electric cars seems centered on getting cheap or free fuel. He especially relishes stealing it.

Some people are born penny-pinchers, squeezing out every opportunity. I have a relative who brags about getting a new credit card about once a month, to get the "new customer" bonuses. He makes about $500K a year.

lunatic fringe electronics

the Tesla fleet and gets 3 miles per kWh. The model 3 can get 5 miles per . So 6 km/kWh should be no problem for most EVs. Here in the US the Nissa n Kia has sold well for some years and there are a lot of them out there. Some have pretty small batteries, 50 mile range I think, but for around tow n that's fine.

73 miles.

ption from the battery on their internal instrumentation, it does not inclu de charger or battery losses.

Wh). The charger has only about 75% efficiency when powered by 120V so the actual consumption from the wall is about 3mi/kWh.

Yeah, sorry, Leaf. Kia is a whole other company. lol

I don't really care what the efficiency is as I charge that Tesla superchar gers. lol They offered unlimited free supercharging to get people to buy their very expensive cars. So I took them up on it. Some people think I a m being a jerk because of this. I tell them I'm a jerk for other reasons, but not this.

--

  Rick C.

  -+-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

OMG! John is so jealous of my car that he has to lie about me. Wow.

Keep working your boards John. One day you can afford a Tesla too. They sell the model 3 pretty inexpensively. I test drove one the other day. It drives so sweet and is a lot faster than your old iron too. ;)

--

  Rick C.

  -++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

I'm a little worried about charging devices on lamp posts. With the idiots we have, I'd fully expect these to be vandalised in short order. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its the transition that will probably be most problematic where only some on street parking spots have access to a charger, and lots of those get blocked by IC engine cars.

--
Cheers,

John.

|          Internode Ltd -  http://www.internode.co.uk            |
|        John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk              |
John Rumm

on

ion

in

off

saying

Why do you single out Scotland??? The discussion is the UK. There are a n umber of solar farms in the UK right now. Should they be torn down?

I tried to read the synopsis, but it is so full of verbiage and unrelated s ide trips I couldn't find the meat. Care to tell me what he is saying? I was looking at the 19 page summary. I guess he is selling a book.

not

ht

into

Above you talk about "solid physics/chemistry with solid numbers and withou t meaningless adjectives", then say stuff like this. "Parlous state"...

I have explained what I am talking about. I have explained the one part of your grid I am concerned about. You don't discuss this, you just complain I am ignoring stuff.

me

10

s no

u are

I would, but if everyone there is like you I wouldn't learn anything becaus e they don't actually say anything.

ch

heat

be

g.

back

d,

was

erage.

ning

in

ill

they

s and

0 or

nit

0,

What are you talking about? I was talking about the cost of electric outle t installations and you segway to TV shows.

any

e to

at

Lol! You have to admit if you are so close to your grid collapsing and eve ryone knows about it, but no one can do anything about it, I think that's p retty much a third world country. This is what you seem to be telling me. Is the UK really that helpless?

--

  Rick C.

  -+++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Well that's even better! It's really easy to charge an EV if you don't drive it. Great!

--

  Rick C.

  +--- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

problem here in the US but many people didn't understand the difference bet ween generation and distribution. Some others insisted there is adequate r eserve capacity, unlike in the UK. So maybe both are right. It's a proble m there that will require digging up streets to install higher capacity dis tribution and no problem at all here in the US.

Maybe my posts aren't being seen. I've said several times that in those ne ighborhoods it will require curb side outlets which will need to involve th e government to happen. The cost is still not large. This is not an insur mountable problem. It just has to be addressed and dealt with. We have th e same thing here in the city. EV usage is still low so those folks are on their own, they'll use other charging means if they want an EV. There are still plenty of other folks who have driveways and garages and will use EV s and be happy with them.

--

  Rick C.

  +--+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +--+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Maybe the UK and Europe isn't being seen - from the US.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Don't be obtuse.

Why are you ignoring a large part of the UK? Perhaps because it is inconvenient to your predefined unchanging position?

Oh dear. You want a complex subject reduced to a sound bite. Sorry, the world isn't like that, and MacKay is deliberately non-dogmatic.

From

"If we are to get off our current fossil fuel addiction we need a plan for radical action. And the plan needs to add up. The plan also needs a political and financial roadmap. Politics and economics are not part of this book?s brief, so here I will simply discuss what the technical side of a plan that adds up might look like.

There are many plans that add up. In this chapter I will describe five. Please don?t take any of the plans I present as ?the author?s recommended solution.? My sole recommendation is this: Make sure your policies include a plan that adds up!

Note *five* alternatives, with plenty of room for juggling them according to preference.

No. He gave the book away for free, right from the start.

His objectives and motivation are clearly stated, for those that can read.

You are reading faster than you comprehend. I suggest you take a stress pill.

That's because you are ignoring stuff. Your mind is fixed on a single track, and deviations are not to be contemplated.

Now you are being silly, and demonstrating that your mind is made up and unchangeable. Too much of the USA is like that ATM, as exemplified by Trump.

Correct, it is a much larger problem than EV charging.

But EV charging would push it over the edge when wind/solar aren't online.

You stated "I like what I've seen of the UK (TV mostly)" - see above.

It is therefore necessary to bring it to your attention that your understanding of the UK is faulty. That concept won't surprise anybody else.

Especially at the moment, paralysed by Brexit, yes.

The current UK political scene is as broken as that in Weimar Republic in the 30s, and didn't that end well.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Perhaps that's why the company has just turned in a $700m loss for the first quarter of this year. Any fool can sell cheap cars at a loss until they go broke! All the major investment sites agree Tesla is deep in the shit with no easy answers as to how to get out of it.

Cursitor Doom

Why? The power should be the same given any sane design.

Reply to
krw

I have two 150A entrance panels/breakers. ;-)

No one in their right mind would own an EV, so charging isn't a problem.

Reply to
krw

Most US outlets are 15A per outlet but there are two on the typical "duplex" fixture. There is a total maximum of 20A on these circuits.

20A 120V outlets also exist but the pin configuration is different (one horizontal pin) and only one is allowed (can't be duplexed).
Reply to
krw