EV Charging in the UK

round pin on the connector may well be connected to the chassis making it h ot! ...

To qualify as "double insulated" devices are not allowed a ground connectio n - no ground pin at all. I was not talking about that. I'm simply referr ing to the rest of the double insulated standard that requires there be no single fault that can cause exterior metal to be in contact with the power wiring. EVs are designed this way because they have very high voltages int ernally even when not connected to the mains.

--

  Rick C.

  ++++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

The info I find is 7 hrs 13 mins daylight in Aspatria on the shortest day of the year. Not sure what you are talking about with 4 hours. Even Edinburgh gets 6 hrs 58 mins.

Why would you do such a thing? If you pick the worst as your assumption, then you get the worst as your result. "Flat out" is not a requirement to charge EVs.

I know you don't have to expand generation capacity to charge EVs when you aren't fully utilizing the capacity you have.

Ok, I admit defeat. The UK will never have any significant adoption of EV usage. We'll see if we can do better in Nigera.

--

  Rick C.

  ++++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Ugly asphalt strip on an old stone sidewalk too.

They will fill with rain, dirt, trash, dog by-products, and get run over by every possible vehicle. Skateboarders and bicyclists and people in wheelchairs won't like them.

But hey, the mayor approves.

lunatic fringe electronics

Why not use a triac?

lunatic fringe electronics

Businesses are often three phase here, with a variety of strange connections. One is the "stinger" connection, where l-l is 240 volts but neutral is the center tap of one leg, so 120-N-120 is also available.

lunatic fringe electronics

This Tesla charging station is seldom used (it's up in the mountains where Teslas rarely dare to go, especially in winter)

so when Safeway is crowded, real cars park in the slots.

That's my Audi. It loves mountains and snow. We can make it from San Francisco to Truckee on one tank of gas, in a blizzard, with the heater and headlights on. With 4wd and snow tires, we just smile at the chain control checkpoint folks.

lunatic fringe electronics

Trump knows that mayor far better than the gormless Londoners who voted for him do.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Reply to

200A service on 230Vac CT, standard in MA for new homes, for 5 decades.
--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That looks like it's dead in the water.... How long before it gets trashed by vandals/water/dirt etc?.Madness and a trip hazard to all those who walk with a mobile welded to their ear... LOL

TTman

The newly elected Liberal Democrat council in my London borough tried to introduce a scheme under which the cost of residents' street parking permits would quadruple to ?400 for petrol cars, and quintuple for diesels, but fall to zero for electric cars. The idea being (so they said) to encourage people to dump their Dirty Diesels and switch to electric vehicles.

The imbeciles on the council had to be reminded that the only residents who needed street parking permits were those who had to park on the street, and such people couldn't have electric vehicles because it wouldn't be lawful to charge them at the kerbside.

Many other arguments were raised against the scheme, but that had to be one of the killers.

--
Evremonde
Reply to

With open wires, it is easy to count 1-2-3-4 wires in a three phase feed, not 5 wires. The neutral N is connected to the star point of the wye connected distribution transformer secondary. Especially with open wires, there is a risk that the neutral is broken but not all phase conductors are broken e.g. due to a falling tree. What good would a separate 5th PE conductor to the transformer star point do ? It is as likely to fail when a tree falls ? . The 4 wire connection is known as TN-C and in older installation could go into the houses as such. If a grounded socket was needed, make a 2 cm long jumper between the N and PE connectors. The potential of the PE connector and equipment chassises varied in different sockets, causing all kinds of problems to computer systems.

New houses are wired internally as TN-S i.e. separate N and PE, thus in all rooms, the PE connector is the same potential in normal situations.

This is equipotential bonding.

Yes

This varies between jurisdictions.

In Finland, when building new houses, there is a requirement to install a continuous thick bare copper wire around the perimeter of the building a few meters below ground. Both ends of the copper loop, the PEN from the distribution transformer and the internal wiring N and PE are connected to the equipotential point. This will keep the basement at constant potential and apparently also helps conduct lightning currents from a tree and roots into the grounding loop, thus preventing lightning current from hitting from below from the roots into other conductors in the basement.

Reply to
upsidedown

Do you really expect that a sun a few degrees above horizon would produce any significant amount of electricity. At high latitudes, the sun spends a significant amount of time close to the horizon. The air masses attenuates so much that you can look at the sun with naked eyes.

Reply to
upsidedown

Is electric heat common there?

My wife is from Scituate, and they didn't have NG. They used fuel oil and electricity for heat.

lunatic fringe electronics

San Francisco is governed by its Board of Stupidvisors.

lunatic fringe electronics

I can quite see why charging at the kerbside is, er, problematic (see my other posts), but what makes it illegal.

Joined up thinking? They've heard of it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'm not a shower designer, but the method used works well and is reliable, I guess it's cheaper too. And you'd still need the flow control knob unless you restrict the flow to something which 10kW at the coldest input could heat adequately.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

You'd have to run a cable across the pavement, perhaps for hundreds of yards, creating both a trip hazard and an electrical hazard. Maybe not a criminal offence (I don't know) but certainly exposing you to civil liability for injury. And not scaleable to dozens of electric cars in the same street, because of the resulting spaghetti.

--
Evremonde
Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

Yup it does seem like an odd design, not sure what it is supposed to achieve over the more traditional street side charging points.

--
Cheers,

John.

|          Internode Ltd -  http://www.internode.co.uk            |
|        John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk              |
John Rumm

I sincerely hope you're proved right. What a vast waste of public money that would result in. All so a bunch of self-righteous virtue-signallers can kid themselves they're superior to everyone else - when they're not.

Cursitor Doom

Liverpool pedestrians are going to do very well financially out of this. ;->

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Reply to