estimating junction temperature of a power mosfet

linear

um

fiers

two

ks

re

Pulser.jpg

ace-iiTM-cp25/

not exactly cheap but if you only need a few

WBA-1.62-0.55-CU-01 drill and tap CPT-2.25-1.62-0.25-AL for the sot-227

or you could just take on of the cheap GPU coolers and reflow solder a ~10mm plate of copper on top drilled and tapped for the sot-227

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Thanks for those links. They are quite interesting.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Thanks to all those who responded. I decided initially to limit the power of the electronic load to 300W (two fets in //), which seems safe. Later I will make an experimental setup to measure the parasitic diode drop at various temperatures, and see if I can safely dissipate 400 to 450W. For now, I am fighting against parasitic thermo-electric effect of sense resistors, which seriously compromises the precision of intensity measurement and regulation athigh power dissipation.

-- Alain Coste

m9oq8a$sfu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Alain Coste

Manganin has a low tc and a low thermoelectric potential against copper. Zeranin is even better.

We make our own manganin shunts, which we epoxy to an anodized aluminum block which is itself thermally regulated to sit at the flat spot of the manganin's parabolic resistance/temperature curve. That's extreme, but heat sinking a strip of manganin can make an awfully good shunt resistor.

What's important is thermal symmetry of the two shunt-to-copper junctions. With modern chopper opamps, you don't need a lot of voltage to work with, which helps keep the shunt heating down. Interesting geometries are possible.

You can buy thru-hole and surface mount low TC shunt resistors, which are fine if the power dissipation is low.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com