PN Junction

Hi All,

I have a question on the currents in the PN Junction diode. This has been bugging me for a lot of time.

When the PN junction is forward biased, how does the holes from the P-type move into the N-type ?

Since for the fomation of hole in the N-type, a valency electron should occupy the hole near the junction of P-type. But there are free electrons in P-type, which can occupy the holes near junction of P-type, considering the fact that their mobility is higher when compared with holes. Will the valence electrons in N-type has any chance to occupy the holes of P-type, overcoming the speed of free electrons ?

Also when a hole is formed near the junction of N-type, dont you think there is a chance of free electron of n-type taking the placeof that hole. Please answer my question as soon as possible.

Thanks, Beenu

Reply to
Beenu

You should probably find a good book on Micro Electronic Circuits that explains this.

Basically, when you forward bias the PN junction you narrow the depletion region. Once this happens, the application of voltage (pressure) can cause carries to pass through.

Reply to
Noway2