Power mosfet question

I have a power mosfet that was shorted.. Due to my carelessness...

A very fine sliver of solder bridged the gate to the drain. Would this usually destroy the said mosfet? Or something else in line with it??

Its a K3556... Is there a simple test for these? The drain pin was cut off, but enough left to make a very fine solder bridge... ughh...

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Well scratch that.. If I'm holding the volt meter on the gate side of the mosfet while starting up it will work... i guess I have to trace back and see whats burnt up..

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

yup. That would pretty much forward bias that fet beyond max!

Reply to
Jamie

It's most likely if you didn't over bias the fet and kill it, you may have destroyed the driving circuit since it most likely can only handle a fraction of what is on the drain..

Reply to
Jamie

Actually I got lucky.. It was ok after all.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy