EOL solder wire purchase

... until just about now :-)

I could care less. They aren't going to tell me what I can use. A pharmacists also raised a brow when I wanted syringes. "For oiling in tough spots" ... "Ah, ok".

It will. Even the li'l post office in our town which is in a corner of a Bel Air supermarket has a scale that measures minute quantities, yet goes up to several pounds. But I am sure a neighbor has an electronic kitchen scale.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'd just get Kester 63/37 in several sizes. The savings in buying a no-name solder are minimal. Check craigslist too. In my area someone is selling new rolls of Kester 63/37 solder for $15/pound in 0.015 and

0.062 diameters.

For large jobs I'm still working on a 5 pound roll I bought at the Atlanta Hamfest in 1977.

Reply to
sms
[...]

Careful. Those probably vanished at a local business. Or fell of a truck.

It happened over in Europe where someone was selling antennas at a very good price, better than wholesale. IIRC he was arrested later.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Not lab scale, a reloading scale. :)

Reply to
tm

Everyone evaluates their viewport into the world based on their own life-experiences/biases/etc. -- a variation on the "if the only tool you have is a HAMMER..." theme. Seldom do people *think* before coming to conclusions. Even riskier if it would require knowledge outside of their "life experiences" to evaluate properly.

I regularly have teenagers flashing gang signs at me -- despite the fact that I'm old enough to be their GRANDfather! ("Look carefully, guys. See the *graying* hair? Anyone in your gang old enough to *have* hair like that??!")

I can remember the first time I took a wire-wrap gun through a metal detector (many decades ago). When asked what it was (cuz it has such a distinctive shape), I made the mistake of calling it a wire-wrap *gun* -- instead of a "wire-wrap TOOL". Had it been a STAPLE gun, the concept would have been much more familiar to the types of folks who staff the security checkpoints. "Wire-wrap" was not something they'd (apparently) heard in that context.

Ditto, when flying internationally, I learned NOT to reply to (seemingly) "casual inquiries" as to the origins of my surname the way I would here (US) -- where damn near *everyone* is an immigrant! Rather, when asked, "what sort of name is that?" I now reply "American".

If the environment you submerge yourself in focuses on seeing things with a certain bias, its hard to avoid seeing everything with that same bias. I'd prefer not to complicate my life trying to educate someone as to the *other* wonders the world contains BEYOND their narrow viewpoint... there are far more important things clamoring for my limited time!

(e.g., I first acquired the scale to measure *beard* shavings. Wanna explain *that* to a cop?? "And what do you DO with these shavings, *smoke* them???" :-/ )

(sigh)

Reply to
Don Y

No. It would never have been able to weigh a pound of solder. Maybe a couple of IC's... :<

I don't worry about pharmacists -- their "authority" ends with the ability to fill a prescription.

Years ago, I went into a pharmacy to purchase "Arthropan" (essentially, "liquid aspririn" -- very fast acting, easy to ingest, etc.). The pharmacist looked at me like I was trying to purchase heroin! He snapped: "What do you want it for?" I replied, "It's a reasonably fast acting analgesic..." I guess he figured knowing a word with more than three syllabubs meant I wasn't a "thug" :-/

I'd probably be safe taking that wager! E.g., very few people in the neighborhood do much in terms of home cooking. AFAICT, I am the only one who bakes "from scratch", etc.

Post office is a "known". Start there before bothering neighbors and having them all think I mean "bathroom scale"... much to the chagrin of the local kids' parents ("Wow! I don't think I've ever had a brownie made from scratch before...")

(Jewish Coffee Cake, tonight -- while the sour cream is still nice and fresh!)

Reply to
Don Y

(By "CD" you obviously intend "portable CD player"?)

Colleague told me of some folks who purchased a small, hand-operated "tablet press" from his firm -- the sort of thing you would use to make small, "prototype quantities" of pharmaceuticals (or other solid form doses). Even if only to test teh mechanical characteristics of the tablets, etc.

Needless to say, they weren't using it for "legal purposes" when the police visited! :>

Reply to
Don Y

Easy fix: Roll off as much as it will still measure without pegging and weigh that. Can also be 2-3 cuttings where you just add each weight. Now solder your stuff. Place the remaining solder back on the scale, subtract from the first weight (or sum), done.

Not really:

:-)

We also make almost everything from scratch but so do our neighbors. They even grow their own vegetables. Ok, it's my mostly wife who cooks and bakes, I am more responsible for the outdoor cooking part. This includes baking, yesterday we baked some rolls in the Weber over charcoal, afterwards I barbecued ribs, sausages and chess-filled jalapenos. Also had a home-baked banana-almond muffin.

Can't wait until I can semi-retire and then start brewing beer again. Haven't done that in 30 years.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I was completely gray at 20. That was over 40 years ago. :(

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Can be worse. My hair was mostly gone by age 23. That was nineteen sumpthin'

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Neighbor was virtually *bald* at that age. My *beard* has been essentially "snow white" since ~30-ish. Though my hair has largely retained its original color (vy dk brn) -- with wisps of grey in the side-burns, temples, etc.

When I want to "look my age", I let my beard! :> The looks from friends/neighbors/colleagues who've never seen it before are absolutely *precious* (think: "slack-jawwed"?)! Always amusing to screw with people's expectations... ;-)

Reply to
Don Y

I was starting to turn gray at 13. The idiots who taunted me about it were mostly hairless by their 30s. I blamed my teachers for turning my hair gray... :)

30 years ago, I got tired of people whining about my gray hair at work, so I dyed it a deep brown to match what it should have looked like. Jaws dropped when I went into work, but no one said a word. A few days later most of it had washed out, and one woman asked why I didn't keep dying it. I smiled and told her that I can't tell what color it is, from the inside of my head. ;-)
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My hair turned to solder when I opened my first book on electronics.

Reply to
John S

Aside from citrus, pomegranates, etc., I think the only things that grow well here are garlic and cantelope. Sure miss a *good* apple (*picked* ripe)!

We make very little "outside" -- SWMBO isn't into most meats and it's way too much work for just one of me! A taste for grilled kielbasa so I'll brave the heat to make that this week (no idea what *she* will eat!) Steak, roasted pig, etc. are just way too much work unless you're entertaining... She'll go for ribs but that's too much work (eating) for my tastes!

I'm looking to purchase an upscale ice cream maker. I bake a lot but don't eat any of that stuff (makes it hard to know how things turned out when you don't *taste* them! :-/ ).

OTOH, I consume gallons of homemade ice cream, gelato and sorbet... until it just gets too tedious to make more! ("almond chocolate chip with almonds" and "butter pecan" being my favorites -- though the latter leaves me insatiably THIRSTY!!)

Reply to
Don Y

I went salt and pepper by that age. About the same time ago. My mom was nearly white by age 25, and her mom was white by age 16.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Nope, it's built into an actual CD case! I must try to dig it out and post a picture.

I think mere possession of "drug paraphernalia" is seriously illegal in the USA (variations by states I imagine). UK too for all I know...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I understand that "no clean" is definitely has little of no rosin (which does require cleaning to keep your violin bow sticky), and has an undisclosed mix of "activators" like organic acids, pH buffers (to manage acidity), de-oxidizers, and Kester knows what else. Tends to keep working if not removed. At least rosin is fairly inactive at STP.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Wait. You mean a "jewel case"?? I.e., the clear plastic case in which *recorded* CD media are sold? Like 2-3mm thick x 100mm square?

Is it a "low volume" product (hard to imagine that!) and the manufacturer just found a clever way of getting a plastic enclosure without having to pay for custom tooling?

The problem lies with multipurpose devices: is a scale "drug paraphenalia"? What about lighters and matches? Are "hobos" subject to arrest for using "rolling papers" to roll their own (tobacco) cigarettes?

Obviously, a tablet press has very specific uses. Though it technically could be used for creating effervescent tablets ("fizzies"), compressing fertilizer into "cakes" (e.g., for use *in* irrigation systems), veterinary medicine, etc.

Solution: don't buy a tablet press! :>

Reply to
Don Y

Yes, exactly. But they are more like 10mm thick, 140x125.

Can't believe it was hobbiest-level low volume. Looked well made, was not that expensive, $20 maybe?

Just had a look, can't find it. Perhaps it's in my CD collection somewhere :) it had a plausible looking "album cover" sheet.

Oh look, there's loads of them:

a "novelty set" of scales.

Anyway, just like those.

"Small mirrors and other glass products (such as Pyrex test tubes and "glass crack pipes"), lighters, rolled up currency, razor blades, aluminum/tin foil, credit cards, and spoons have all been used to prosecute people under paraphernalia laws, whether or not they contain residue of illegal drugs."

--

John Devereux
Reply to

In my family, we don't go gray. The hairline just keeps receeding slowly, and it thins out a bit...

Reply to
Charlie E.