How many of your would fire...

Hi:

...any of your personnel who handle the internals of your PCs (IO cards), electronic systems/circuits in the development phase, or equipment with covers removed/bare PCBs for integration into systems and who have absolutely no willingness whatsoever to learn about and take precautions against ESD damage?

An interesting phenomenon happens with these folks: They insist that they have never, ever, seen anything negatively impacted by ESD. Yet whenever they need a new graphics card, or turn on a prototype system to work on it (such as a software developer turning on a proto hardware setup consisting of bare PCBs wired together on a cart to develop code for it) and something happens out of the ordinary such as a lockup that usually doesn't occur, they will never, ever suspect that it might have been caused by their failure to mitigate ESD.

--
Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser&Electronics Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and
"BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

I would make an unwillingness to learn and take precautions against nearly _anything_ one's employer is worried about to be grounds for severing the connection. Even if you're obsessed with meteor strikes, or ghosts and ghoulies. There's two possibilities:

  1. You're right, and he's an idiot. You should get rid of him.

  1. He's right, and you're an idiot. He should quit. You should help him.

Now, if he thinks you're wrong, and he tells you so nicely, but he works hard to comply with your wishes that's another kettle of fish -- he's being honest, forthright yet willing to do what he's told. As long as he doesn't bring it up in front of customers or harp on it to excess then he's probably a good guy. This doesn't match your description, so you're back to 1 or 2.

P.S. I heard from a fairly reliable source that they just don't worry about ESD in Japan -- my source says it's always humid, so it's never an issue.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'd fire anyone who deliberately and repeatedly defies a direct order.

John

Right. Once you let anybody get away with that, you're roadkill.

John

Same here. My standard rule. Disagree? OK. Defy? Kaboom!!

...Jim Thompson

Don't you just love it when the doorknob knocks you down ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

I'll betcha that the manufacturing facilities in Japan are very climate-controlled. Maintaining the spaces at 50% RH does indeed require adequate ESD practices. They would be even more stupid than the imaginary employee described above to ignore ESD in their plants.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

DaveM

(snip)

I'm self employed. I am unlikely to fire myself, no matter how pig headed I become.

By the way, I don't worry much about ESD damage till the heat comes on. When the door to the lab no longer sticks, that is a warning. And then I am just careful in what order I touch things, to get rid of any stored charge before making contact with a sensitive device, and especially before I touch that onto something else.

Reply to
John Popelish

--
Me too.  It\'s my way or the highway.
Reply to

Yes, but one must take into account that Japanese corporate culture is very dry.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

Your source doesn't match my experience: They do worry, it's not always humid, and ESD is an issue.

-- Mike --

Reply to
Mike

This is the procedure I follow. I see people doing it wrong all the time.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Can't you get work mats on the floor that suppress a good parm of ESD? I remember having to spray the carpeted computer room (circa 1980) with ladies static guard during some period of the year in CA.

Chris Carlen wrote:

Reply to
James Douglas

And I once worked for a guy who did the same thing with a spray bottle full of water with about a capful of Downey Fabric Softener, at about

1/10 of the cost. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise