engineers' brains

I pissed off a female programmer once - she was looking at some COBOL on her terminal, and I was kind of looking over her shoulder, and I remarked, to no one in particular, "Why do I get the feeling that I'm looking at stone axes and animal skins?" (this was back when ST:TOS was still on).

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

She doesn't need to. She's a woman, therefore, she will stop and ask for directions. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

?articleID=189401732

Yeah, as a matter of fact - then again, all he had to do was point at it.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

The Mother of Everything.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

~zap~

d I

to?".

st

Well, how nice! So his purpose in life was fulfilled - giving directions to a lost American. ;)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

[snip]

Yes. Everyone forgets that the desert gets cold at night... sometimes as low as 20°F.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Like I tell my wife, "You will ask for directions on how to get HOME too?"

Helpful Stranger: "Where do you live?"

Wife: "Well, Home, of course!"

sigh...

Reply to
mrdarrett

Hello John,

I have.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I met one once in the mid '60's, but she then went into marketing.

But there are a great number of female I/C layout engineers.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hello Jim,

Same for PCB layouts. Most of my early ones have been done by women. However, the layouters that I currently use the most are men. Seems like it has changed.

BTW, in the division that I ran for a few years our R&D staff was about

25% female. The average age was also much higher than normal. Since we couldn't ask (at least not the women...) I can only guess but it was probably well over 40.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I've come across a couple of female scientists but none as engineers in electronics at all.

Also come across techie gals in film / video / sound but only at end user level.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

surprised.

electronics

No female engineers? There are several in my group. In fact 2/11 in my department (one is the manager).

level.

Hmm, I guess I'll not go there...

--
  Keith
Reply to

Are any circuit designers?

John

That one made the estrogen surge, eh?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Nah- made your nipples bristle most likely...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

It's interesting, not to mention sick and creepy, that you are far more obsessed with my body parts than I am.

John

No. Out of the 250 or so working on the project there are only two or three I'd consider to be circuit designers. In another post in the thread I mentioned that I'd only known one female circuit designer and she didn't last long (she was terrible - and dumb).

BTW, what's your definition of "circuit designer".

--
  Keith
Reply to

Someone who designs circuits! That means starting with a spec or need and selecting electronic parts and inventing connection topologies, and doing the required math to predict that it will work. I do this by buying parts that wind up soldered to boards (per my drawings) but some people work in silicon, designing ICs, but the effects are pretty much the same.

What a circuit designer ain't is...

A tech who gets a reference design and fiddles with it a bit. That's OK, but it's not design because he didn't invent it and probably doesn't understand it.

Logic designers who work only at the gate-and-up level.

IC process types. They may design the transistors used in circuits, but they don't design the circuits.

John

Not really- but it sounds like you're getting positively moist over the thought of it.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

What a weird person you are, Fred.

John