IR Detection

I have a PIR (passive infrared) sensor on a motion detector circuit that I am playing around with, and am looking for a way to "map" the area that this sensor reaches. Is there an inexpensive circuit to build, or something to buy (preferred) that I can do this with? I want to be able to "see" (figuratively speaking that is), the cone, how far out it goes, etc, with this circuit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Terry

How about a light bulb, that's painted flat black, on a dimmer such that you can adjust its surface temp. to approx. 98.6F?

Then, patience, patience, patience! (i.e., put a big piece of paper on the floor, slowly move your heat source until the PIR triggers, and mark it. Remove the heat source, let the PIR reset, and slowly move it in again, and so on.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hi Terry, The easiest & cheapest way would be to rig up an LED output so that when motion is detected you get visual feedback. Then just walk around in the sensor area and take note of when the detector is triggered.

The "Passive" part of PIR means that the detector is not actively creating a detection area (like an Active IR sensor would). There is no way to detect the sensed area with an external circuit, since the PIR sensor emits no IR energy.

Arch

Reply to
Archilochus

You can also get specification sheets on the web from many manufacturers, which will probably include a fairly accurate map.

Reply to
Bob Monsen

Already got those, but, of course, they are not representative of what I am seeing with my application. I thought if there were a quick way to check this out, I could find out if there were any issues.

Reply to
Terry

Infrared glasses?

Reply to