engineers' brains

Mnuals never. Maps incessantly.

But if mental rotation is the key ability, I should have been a cab driver. Explains a lot.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

?articleID=189401732

It was that or divorce.

I didn't know in advance when the hot water had been exhausted, and instant electric water heaters don't produce enough hot water to give a respectable shower - most of the time there was enough residual hot water for my shower, so it never got irritating enough to force me to do something about it.

Happily, when we moved house in 1993, the central heating controller in the new house didn't offer programmable heating times for the hot water, and we didn't go to the trouble adn expense of finding and paying for a new controller that would.

In Cambridge, the roof timbers (from 1895) had been sized to carry a slate roof. They hadn't been reinforced when the slates were replaced by much heavier tiles - I wouldn't have dared to put a solar water pre-heater on top of the tiles. In Nijmegen our house has a thatched roof - water-reed thatch is a great roofing material, but no basis for a solar heat collector.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy

- Red Green-

    Boris Mohar
Reply to
Boris Mohar

We do have one here, a very glamorous French woman. MSc project was the design and optimisation of a 70GHz amplifier. She checks that the SA Applications group's output does what it says on the tin.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

Just you...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

No, I've known several PC layout ladies, and they were very good, better than the average guy, probably because they were more careful and more artistic than most guys. But they didn't design circuits.

I do know one brilliant woman, a PhD physical chemist and NMR expert, who spends a lot of time lately designing FPGAs in Verilog, but I consider that to be programming, not proper circuit design. She has absolute scorn for logic design using schematics and recently claimed over lunch that "you couldn't do the complex stuff I do with schematics." *She* couldn't, but I certainly could, and do.

But as regards circuit design, the combined influences approach 100%.

John

I had one woman employee, with no previous computer experience, that I taught, rather quickly, to program in PDP-11 assembly language. Her first program was to code a realtime language interpreter [1] for automated functional testing of digital pc boards, which worked great. But she was a dyke.

John

[1] LATER, Larkin's Automated Test Executive Routine
[snip]
[snip]

I recommend every male go see the movie "The Break-up".

It'll give you a lot of insight as to what kind of jerks we are ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Excellent, vintage Bloggs: two gross errors in a 2-word post.

John

John's original thesis (no female circuit designers) got me thinking about the female engineers I've worked with. Only one I can think of was a circuit designer and she was pretty poor. I've know quite a few who were logic designers, many programmers, and many of those were assembler programmers. Though assembler programmers were rather important and in short supply 20ish years ago so my POE retrained a *lot* of technicians and secretaries to become programmers.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Can she read a map?

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Or do like a lot of people in Florida and put their well 100 feet from the house. You rarely have to turn the water heater on, all summer, and you have all the hot water you can use.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I worked with a bunch at former employer - probably 10% of the circuit design team was female.

--
Aaron
Reply to

I don't need to sit through a chick-flic to know that!

John

It's a different kind of "chick-flick", rather well crafted... the author plays the (male) lead part.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

If you're a "man", then probably, yes. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Not yet, but I've met a couple of female electronic techs, and on one job, my supervisor was a female EE. One time, while we were having margaritas for lunch, we talked about that - she said, "Well, I went to school because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life as some waitress or secretary or something." Very astute woman - if you ignored her spectacular gams, she was indistinguishable from any other EE. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

LOL!!

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Not yet, but have you ever met a male who can create a human fetus? Without even using his hands? >:->

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

That assumes that the Netherlands is at the same latitude as Florida... if I'm not mistaken, the Netherlands are at the same latitude as central Canada. (WAG, from looking at a small Mercator map)

Now in Arizona, on the other hand... do they even need to run the hot water heater in the dead of winter? >;)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett