engineering graduate school question

I worked with two engineers whe were pursuing their masters in night school, one in EE, the other CS (and I won't bother to mention the MBA candidates). The work they did for their thesis work was less challendging than the projects we were running at work, and they took too long at it, also.

I avoided the graduate school discipline by taking extension courses that seemed appropriate to my work (C Programming, Neural Networks, Kalmann Filtering, Fiber-Optic Communications, etc). I really missed an opportunity by not taking an early program in Network Architecture

- live and learn.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Whether or not you can get away with all that depends highly on the firm and position you occupy. I was lucky, in that I never needed many clothes. Or at least that is how I remember it. (US and Canada).

--

                        cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Reply to

I know you know better than to strip attributions for material you actually quote :-)

--

                        cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Reply to
CBFalconer

Scooter Libby??

...sorry, could not resist. :)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

See, that's the sort of thinking that depresses engineering pay. I don't think there are many who would choose to be a broke, unemployed lawyer.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

This is my personal experience with hiring freshmen from school. As pointed by many, the grown up engineer is judged by his merits. One of the not so many merits of a freshman is the diligence demonstrated in obtaining the degree.

I know :) That sort of people can be good at paperwork though. Somebody has to do the boring part, too :)

That is exactly what we tried. It appeared that the percentage of the good guys with BSEEs is 1% vs somewhat 10% in MSEEs. It is just more economical to draw from MSEEs.

There is a zillion of possible methods for the spectral inversion depending on what exactly is required. Perhaps, the simplest is multiplying every second sample by -1.

For DSP, ADI BlackFin is the main workhorse. We also work with TMS 28xx and 55xx. As for the small MCUs, 68HC12 is the preference, and, indeed, we do some DSP work with it as well as with Atmel AVR.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

He didn't really say what his main interest was, so it is hard to tell...

20 years ago, when I went for my Masters, I picked UCSB for two reasons

- one, the great location, and two - they were doing free electron laser research there, and I had an interest in laser launch systems for space travel.

Now, when I got there, I found out that one - you couldn't afford to live there, and two - the laser research was all going on in the Physics department, not the EE department, and the only faculty member in EE that had worked with them retired last year... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Yes, exactly -- inverting every other sample is a very good answer. "FFT, reverse, iFFT" is probably about the worst you could do and shows no "practical" experience.

I only have experience with TI 55x DSPs, but I've always been told the ADI chips are somewhat friendlier to program, if a little slower.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

You over generalize. My boss in a small development lab threw me out (well,strongly urged me to leave). I was one of two technicians there -- the other had been with the firm since before I was born! The boss said that I was already doing the work of an engineer, I might as well bet the diploma and get paid like one. (One of the engineers there had no diploma beyond high school, but he was a real genius. George Gauthrin, AKA Crazy George, was the guy who invented the 60-dB low-distortion AGC that got us the Mercury capsule audio contract.)

Some fresh Ph.D.s I worked with were inclined to ignore the importance of the curved side on a 'lytic symbol, thereby making loud noises. One inserted a wood screw with my chisel-point soldering iron, then asked me what the plug and cord were for.

Jerry

P.S. "Worseless"; a good word. I like it!

Jerry Avins

When I was am MTS at RCA Labs, the division president, when he was escorting a visitor, would stop me in the corridor and introduce me as "The only staff member we have with a steam-driven pencil sharpener." (He neglected to add that I was one of the very few staff members without an advanced degree.) I then gave the obligatory explanation that in order to avoid tending a boiler, I ran it off the compressed-air supply. The visitor and I would then shake hands and go on our ways.

If I decide to abandon retirement, I'll ask you for a job.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

I do not know if this poster is malicious, but I ran into problems trying his site. I had to force quit my browser to continue.

Bill

-- Support the troops. Impeach Bush. Oh, I forgot about Cheney.

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Apologies for any problems you may have experienced. The main page uses a java applet to handle the remote-control session with the receiver. It is known to work well on Netscape/Mozilla and IE on Win32 using JRE1.4.x and on Netscape/Mozilla on Solaris; I don't have many reports of how well it works on MacOS/OS X, Linux or other X-windows OS implementations.

What browser/OS were you using? Did you look at the Java Console messages in your browser?

Your newsgroup posting headers include domains 'prodigy.com' and 'yahoo.sbc.com'; are you using some kind of bundled browser/Internet access software that may be conflicting with Java on your machine? I also see reference to Microsoft Entourage (I am not familiar with that client).

It is difficult to provide a client-side realtime browser- embedded control method without using Java or undesirably Microsoft-specific active controls (which I'm not using).

If anyone has problems, I'd appreciate a report.

Regards,

Michael (msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org)

Reply to
msg

It worked for me, as far as I went, but it is klunky.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

Many smart people who are interested in making money do go to law school because it is a better road to wealth than engineering or science is.

Bill

--
Iraq: About three Virginia Techs a month
Reply to

I was using Safari and got into an infinite loop.

Bill

-- Support the troops. Impeach Bush. Oh, I forgot about Cheney.

Reply to
Salmon Egg

The documentation provided at the site admits that it is a preliminary interface just to get the radio on-the-air after some months of engineering and construction; I hoped to make a fancy GUI but again that would require client-side installs or applets...

Anyone who doesn't like the java (used only for an embedded telnet client and and embedded IRC client) may access the receiver controls at:

telnet://cybertheque.org 1238

and for the chat to coordinate its use with other users:

irc://cybertheque.org#rcvr

The audio is available in an RTP stream by placing a SIP call to:

sip: snipped-for-privacy@cybertheque.org

These steps may be a little 'klunky' but so far I have not found an os-agnostic way to handle each of these media types without requiring client-side installs unless the user is willing to put up with a little trouble with java or the user is willing to make the effort to access the streams using separate clients as above.

Regards,

Michael

(msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org)

Reply to
msg

However, I forgot to mention that in order to establish a session if there already is a connection (in other words, to grab the session from another user) is to use the 'RESET' button on the main web page (which invokes a cgi program to clear the connection).

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

wow, in the U.S. (with 50 states, some of which have only one school with an EE department), i didn't know there were many more than 200 EE programs in the country. are there any other countries with a lot more than 200 EE departments?

i went to a non-prestigious school (U of North Dakota in Grand Forks), too, and majored in EE and got both a BSEE and an MS (not an MSEE). if your school sees their role or niche as one of teaching and transforming the ignorant (not meant to be derogatory) to the knowledgeable, given the values that i have, i consider that to be an asset. when i arrived at Northwestern (supposedly a prestigious school), i was amazed at how shallow the EE knowledge and understanding was amoung my fellow EE grad students that got their BSEE from Northwestern. that was, i believe, because the profs were not encouraged to teach nor to really prepare for classes they taught. they were rewarded for publishing in high quantity (quality was not really measured since the peers of the prof relied on the journals to judge quality). publishing several papers per year left relatively little time to prepare for the teaching that they were principally paid to do. i really think, particularly for the undergrads who paid the most money and got the least attention, that they got ripped off.

anyway, i think you (and anyone except those who really cannot handle the advanced content of most graduate courses in EE and Math) should go to grad school and get an MS, not just for the potentially better job prospects and likely better earnings, but for the sheer advancement in knowledge you will get, if the grad school profs are any good. do it to be a better, more knowledgeable, and more capable electrical engineer. that reason should be sufficient in and of itself.

r b-j

Reply to
robert bristow-johnson

I think I see your problem.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Do you want to be a mangare or an engineer?

I hire based on experience and skill, not degree's.

Reply to
The Real Andy