energy savings

Seems to me that a higher-power kettle will use less energy to bring a volume of water to a boil. But who listens to engineers?

Banning those kilowatt smart phones will definitely save the planet.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Don't expect Eurocrats to understand that. They can only do math if it relates to their pensions. Like our bureaucrats.

Poeple usually do after a major "Oh s..t!" experience.

I wonder when they'll start banning cast iron skillets and stuff. We cooked beans in one of those on the barbecue last weekend. Best beans we ever had.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

nothing beats cast iron, properly prepared it is pretty much non-stick and it works so much better than Teflon and such that is like trying to fry something on a piece of plastic

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's what regulators to, write regulations. If they didn't write new regulations every day they would be redundant.

Reply to
krw

That's so they can charge their electric car without blowing the main fuse.

Reply to
Tom Miller

I like the lowpass filter effect of cast-iron. My wife does most of the cooking inside the house. I do all the outdoors cooking which happens on weekends, holidays and whenever I can knock off early. Then I like to do the manly thing and start with a wood fire or use charcoal. I've used aluminum on occasion like during camping trips but heard that it's unhealthy.

The only downside of our cast-iron pan is that the handle is flat and thus will not reach over the rim of a Weber barbecue. Meaning it gets very hot so you can only lift the whole pan onto a temp-safe carrier with an oven mitt. Some day I'll have to build myself a "hand gantry crane" to lift it off the barbecue in a stable fashion.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We have to live with this garbage.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well, it might give the industry a boost, for a short while anyway.

Martin Riddle

As usual, the UK Daily Telegraph - which has been right-wing and anti-European Union for as long as I can remember - is getting excited about some proposed legislation, and John Larkin has been silly enough to take it seriously.

The UK does boost a few less hysterical newspapers - I read "The Guardian" when I lived there - and John Larkin might usefully risk reading outside of his right-wing comfort zone. He'll find the articles less to his taste, but more reliable and complete.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ha, low pass filter cookware. It's still very true.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On a sunny day (Thu, 28 Aug 2014 15:28:47 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Hands of of my electric lawn mower!!!!!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Aug 2014 06:47:27 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Actually its weird, is not this the same EU that wants electric cars? Schizo.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Bill, before flaunting your prejudice, you might check some facts.

The vacuum cleaner regulations are part of an EU initiative under the EUP (Energy Using Products) Directive. It is all embracing and the army of bureaucrats is growing daily. I'm on some of its mailing lists but they output is so huge and time consuming to follow that I only study stuff of direct concern to my customers. So far, that I know of, they have regulations covering power distribution transformers, pretty much all domestic electronics, cookers, space heaters, fans and many others. The process for developing these regulations is very susceptible to pressure from interest groups and it is interesting that they usually specify measurement techniques which are controversial to say the least

- in that they often make no reference to the primary function of the device in question. In the UK Dyson (who make vacuum cleaners) are seeking judicial review because the specified test method measures airflow per watt of a new and clean machine but makes no reference at all to its ability to pick up dirt.

And as far as newspapers go - as far a I am aware the Telegraph is the only major paper which gives a regular column to the opposing political view. The Guardian's smug leftiness seems to prevent it form even realising that the is another view.

Michael Kellett

Reply to
MK

I don't hear the Americans whining about their hand-held appliances which are typically 1800W or less. still, it seems like a stupid move.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Or cut off the handle and weld it back on at an angle, which would really be the manly thing to do. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

nah just cut if off and use vice grips

I saw a pan that only had "ears" it came with a handle fit over an "ear" and then twisted 90 degres to lock it

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Aug 2014 07:54:16 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs

wrote in :

??? LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

How about a cast iron Dutch oven. I've got one with a SS handle that's nice for camping... (as long as you don't have to backpack it in to the camp site.)

I wonder if the Dutch in Dutch oven is an americanization of Deutsch

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Maybe I can finally make my fortune by selling a bracket that allows a person to hold two hair-dryers side by side in one hand.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

volume of water to a boil. But who listens to engineers?

uropean Union for as long as I can remember - is getting excited about some proposed legislation, and John Larkin has been silly enough to take it ser iously.

an" when I lived there - and John Larkin might usefully risk reading outsid e of his right-wing comfort zone. He'll find the articles less to his taste , but more reliable and complete.

P (Energy Using Products) Directive. It is all embracing and the army of bureaucrats is growing daily. I'm on some of its mailing lists but they ou tput is so huge and time consuming to follow that I only study stuff of di rect concern to my customers.

So what? The Daily Telegraph was making a fuss about high-powered hair-drye rs which haven't been banned yet. What were the "facts" that I was supposed to check?

n transformers, pretty much all domestic electronics, cookers, space heater s, fans and many others.

pressure from interest groups and it is interesting that they usually spec ify measurement techniques which are controversial to say the least - in t hat they often make no reference to the primary function of the device in q uestion.

People writing standards and regulations have an unsurprising tendency to t ake over measurement techniques already used in industry. Like most of the products of evolution, it's only possible to work out why they are the way they are if you know the history, which is rarely easily accessible.

ecause the specified test method measures airflow per watt of a new and cle an machine but makes no reference at all to its ability to pick up dirt.

Which would be a lot harder to quantify. Since Dyson's claim to fame is tha t their vacuum cleaners maintain a high air-flow even after they've picked up a lot of dirt, one can understand where they are coming from. Sadly, the consumer organisations that have tested Dyson's vacuum cleaners have been unimpressed by these claims, so it's probably just a publicity stunt.

ly major paper which gives a regular column to the opposing political view.

It's got the column inches available because it rarely publishes the whole truth about anything. For a while I was getting the Daily Telegraph - entir ely for the job ads - as well as the Guardian, and was impressed by the sel ective nature of the Telegraph's "reporting".

And I wouldn't be surprised if the opposing points of view were those of th e Tories and UKIP.

t there is another view.

On the other hand, has the Telegraph ever got a cabinet minister sent to pr ison for perjury? The only association with prison and prosecution that com es to mind is that it used to be owned by Conrad Black who was sent to pris on - in the US - for fraud and obstruction of justice in 2004

It is now owned by the reclusive - but very rich - Barclay brothers.

The Guardian has quite a lot to be smug about. Its journalists are well awa re that there are a variety of points of view - when Will Hutton wrote for them in 1980's he had great fun with the delusions of Thatcher's monetarist s, and their total failure to predict the actual effects of their economic interventions.

The Daily Telegraph's journalists have always struck me as rather less acco mplished.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to