energy savings

Yes, through pure ecological devotion.

I have a lot of hair. It used to be gray.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Sadly, Australia, once a land with a healthy disrespect for authority, has now become as much a nanny state as most other western democracies (and more than some). We don't need to import lunatic ideas from Europe. We're quite capable of coming up with our own.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

's nice for camping... (as long as you don't have to backpack it in to the camp site.) I wonder if the Dutch in Dutch oven is an Americanization of De utsch

kers have a fairly thick American accent which naturally develops if you li ve here for long or are born here:

fluent in it but Germans generally do not understand it unless they grew u p very close to the border (and even then only some of them).

According to Jonathon Israel, Dutch was the Germanic dialect and the langua ge of popular publication across much of north-western Europe - extending u p in to Sweden - when the Dutch Republic first got going. He dates the spli t between Dutch and German from about 1400 when the theologians started usi ng complex sentences to split hairs, and the Dutch theologians made differe nt choices about sentence structure from the German ones - so Luther's vern acular tracts needed to be translated into Dutch. When the theology started to get printed and widely read in the vernacular - which coincides fairly obviously with the Reformation - this started to matter, but it took Freder ick the Great and the rise of Prussia to make High German a "dialect with an army" with a marked tendency to make grammatical choices that distinguis hed it from Dutch.

German speakers were expected to learn Dutch in about six months at the Nij megen University language school, where English speakers would take about e ighteen months to master Dutch with similar not-very-intensive instruction.

Low German - Plattdeutsch - is much closer to Dutch than the Prussian Hochd eutsch

and the variants spoken in the German provinces that border on the Netherla nds are closer still. The Dutch or Fleming spoken in parts of Belgium does differ from standard Dutch, and the various Dutch provinces do shown variat ions in word choice. The Fries or Frysk language spoken in the province of Friesland is neither Dutch nor German (though close to both and to English) .

There are maps with linguistic contour lines which show the gradients and b orders across Belgium and the Netherlands. Some may extend into Germany ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

uropean Union for as long as I can remember - is getting excited about some proposed legislation, and John Larkin has been silly enough to take it seriously.

and this distance protects you from their lunatic ideas and their implemen tations. I'm an insider and I don't find it particularly funny... :-/

The Daily Telegraph has always be lunatic enough to be decidedly comic, but UK right-wing nitwits continue to take it seriously.

I lived in England from 1973 to 1993, and in the Netherlands from 1993 to 2

012, so distance doesn't offer quite the protection you seem to imagine, pa rticularly when Australia's right-wing politicians seem intent on importing silly ideas from Europe and the USA, as well as coming up with their own h ome-grown lunacies (as Sylvia Else has also noticed).
--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You seem to be optically challenged. My hairs are either black or white. There are areas that look grey when viewed from a distance, but they all resolve into black (actually dark brown) and white hairs when looked at close up.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If you read the report, they take into account the energy to manufacture the goods. That is why cell phones show up in the mix. Hard to believe people are swapping out phones on a 1.5 to 2 year cycle. Give the EU credit for at least mandating the microusb charger standard. Now I have spare chargers out the wazoo. It used to be each charger had some proprietary connector. I have spare phone chargers left in the suitcase, car, notebook case, etc.

The hair dryers mentioned in the report are for salons. I was thinking who the hell has a two kilowatt dryer.

I do see your logic in the tea kettle. Perhaps the higher capacity kettle encourages the user to heat more water than needed.

Nothing wrong with regulations. They level the playing field.

Reply to
miso

Larkin

Yep. And it is a nice glimpse into the fundamentals of politicks: Find ways to get pressure groups to support/vote for you regardless of the reality of their positions.

There use to be teaching the 3 R's (Readin', 'Riting, and 'Rithmetic; about a century ago that worked very well. It was thrown away in public edumachination. Which would have been better stated as the 5 R's the first three plus "Reasoning" and "Reality testing". If this is absent in general education there can be no honest expectation that it occurs in "popular" leaders.

?-/

Reply to
josephkk

Do either of you have long hair like i do? And i don't have a hair dryer either.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

volume of water to a boil. But who listens to engineers?

Nothing weird about it. The EU wants electric cars powered from renewable e nergy, so electric is better than internal combustion, but low consumption electric is better than high consumption electric

The mental defect involved is entirely yours.

ways to get pressure groups to support/vote for you regardless of the reali ty of their positions.

Not exactly right. It's more about spinning the various aspects of reality to put the emphasis on the one that fits best with your program.

ut a century ago that worked very well.

This is debatable. It worked well enough for the kids that were bright enou gh to soak it up easily - a good deal less than half of the potential intak e. The one's that were harder to teach got pushed out young to do the jobs that needed less education

Not exactly correct. At present there's a fad for objective testing, so sch ools measure how well their pupils do in easily measurable areas - and read ing, writing and arithmetic are relatively easy to test. More complex skill s - that are harder to test - don't get tested, and don't get taught anythi ng like as enthusiastically as the three Rs. You get more of what you measu re ...

asoning" and "Reality testing". If this is absent in general education the re can be no honest expectation that it occurs in "popular" leaders.

The US habit of teaching total nonsense about US history and society in "ci vics" makes it rather difficult to teach "Reality Testing" in US schools. A nybody with a working critical sense gets amused about the USA's founding t ax evaders being presented as the liberty oriented "founding fathers". Few Americans are all that good at seeing through the nationalist flimflam that got implanted when they were too young to think clearly.

James Arthur is a case in point.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

civics" makes it rather difficult to teach "Reality Testing" in US schools. Anybody with a working critical sense gets amused about the USA's founding tax evaders being presented as the liberty oriented "founding fathers". Fe w Americans are all that good at seeing through the nationalist flimflam th at got implanted when they were too young to think clearly.

Actually, it wasn't school but something I came on later in life, after con siderable experience. It wasn't until a lifetime of observing human nature, some study of economics, the Federalist Papers, and work with control syst ems that I truly understood the wisdom, thorough, competent design, and she er genius of the founders.

IOW, Bill Sloman is always wrong.

In a nutshell, they figured out that freedom (distributed control) is bette r, creates more safety, happiness, innovation, and prosperity for everyone than any other system. Then they created a system to ensure, promote and p reserve it.

Bill's a central-control forcible re-distribution guy, thinks that maximize s output, that people work harder when you take what they labored to make, and when they get free what others made.

Wrong again Bill, thrice.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

"civics" makes it rather difficult to teach "Reality Testing" in US school s. Anybody with a working critical sense gets amused about the USA's foundi ng tax evaders being presented as the liberty oriented "founding fathers". Few Americans are all that good at seeing through the nationalist flimflam that got implanted when they were too young to think clearly.

onsiderable experience. It wasn't until a lifetime of observing human natur e, some study of economics, the Federalist Papers, and work with control sy stems that I truly understood the wisdom, thorough, competent design, and s heer genius of the founders.

Actually, I'm only sometimes wrong. James Arthur has obviously been drinkin g the same stuff that has rotted krw's brain.

The wisdom and competent design of the founding tax evaders was all concent rated on setting up a system that allowed them - as the people that owned t he country - to keep on running the country behind a thin veneer of democra tic window dressing. They did spend some time - in writing the Federalist P apers - justifying their pseudo-democratic aka Moderate Enlightenment const itution - but everybody who has written a constitution since then (with the exception of Charles de Gaulle who was trying to set up an elected dictato rship with himself as the dictator) has treated the US constitution more as a horrible example of how to get it wrong than as model to be copied.

ter, creates more safety, happiness, innovation, and prosperity for everyon e than any other system. Then they created a system to ensure, promote and preserve it.

They created a system that allowed them to control what actually got done w hile giving everybody else enough opportunity to comment on what was being done to create the illusion of involvement. The US administration is pretty much unique in not being directly answerable to the House of Representativ es. In almost every other advanced industrial country, if the administratio n loses the confidence of the lower house - can't get a majority of the low er house to agree that they are doing an adequate job - they get thrown out on their ear. They may stay in power as a care-taker administration until new elections are organised, or they may be immediately replaced by a new a nd different coalition but the administration that has been voted out can't do anything decisive from that point on.

The US is now the most unequal of all the advanced industrial countries and has the social problems to prove it, and most of that's down to the foundi ng tax evaders who set up a system of government that allowed them to rip o ff their less well-off fellow citizens, and is now being used by the well-o ff in exactly the same way.

ost_Always_Do_Better

zes output, that people work harder when you take what they labored to make , and when they get free what others made.

James Arthur is also a central control forcible re-distribution guy - he's perfectly happy to see the central government collect taxes to pay for the army, the courts and law enforcement. We differ on collecting taxes to pay for infrastructure like universal education, universal health care and univ ersal social security. He's been brainwashed into thinking that only commun ists do that, and that because communists did it really ineptly, anybody wh o does it will do it badly.

He has been to Germany, but while wearing his ideological blinkers, so he c an't see that Germany are doing better than the US by taxing their populati on more heavily, and spending the extra money they take in on raising the q uality of their work-force.

James Arthur does enjoy constructing his straw men. Sadly, it's his argumen ts that are made of straw, not mine.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Good reason to ignore his wearysome, never-changing droning.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Larkin's incapacity to understand what he reads explains why he thinks that what I post never changes.

It never includes the words he wants to see - "John Larkin is wonderful" or some paraphrase - so he finds it a very unrewarding read.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

n "civics" makes it rather difficult to teach "Reality Testing" in US schoo ls. Anybody with a working critical sense gets amused about the USA's found ing tax evaders being presented as the liberty oriented "founding fathers". Few Americans are all that good at seeing through the nationalist flimflam that got implanted when they were too young to think clearly.

considerable experience. It wasn't until a lifetime of observing human natu re, some study of economics, the Federalist Papers, and work with control s ystems that I truly understood the wisdom, thorough, competent design, and sheer genius of the founders.

I mostly do. But I made the mistake of ignoring such people the rest of my life. While I was busy trying make stuff, they were busy scheming how to take over. And did.

People should be able to make stuff without constantly worrying about schemers.

I saw Dr. Ben Carson recently. Well-spoken, with wide appeal. Carson-Cruz would be a great 2016 pro-freedom, pro-prosperity ticket. Rick Perry was pretty decent too--Texas is doing great.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

OK, but one person can do little to change the rules of the game. All you can do is work within them, ignoring or breaking as many as reasonably possible.

Sloman in particular is not scheming to take over anything but his welfare checks.

Someone asked Obama, in an interview, "How does it feel to be the last black president?" I'm afraid that's one of his legacies.

Romney-Carson would work. If the last election were rerun today, Romney would win nicely.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

But the last election won't be rerun and the people seem to want the last woman president to complete the disaster.

Reply to
krw

Probably so. We need to get that over with, too.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Without some recovery time between disasters it's going to get ugly.

Reply to
krw

Oh I don't think so. If anything he's brought all sorts of great black leaders to the fore.

Romney is a terribly nice and decent man but a horrible candidate.

I spent several weeks in a swing state having to explain easy things to irate voters.

Team O was advertising Romney would zero out taxes on high-earners, a lie.

When I explained that Romney's simplified tax code could collect the

*same* tax despite a lower marginal rate, they instantly "got" it, and changed opinions.

Romney wasn't explain that in three debates and a million campaign speeches. That's fatal.

Even more directly, Romney couldn't best one of the weakest presidents ever, in the midst of his presiding over one of the most precipitous declines in world history.

Besides not being able to explain himself to the people whose votes he needs, Romney's also a big-government guy. Like Democrats and half the Republicans, he believes in a big government that runs your life, but thinks he can do a better job running it (your life) than the other guys.

Sorry Romney. Nice guy, but not going to win.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Hilary wouldn't be a total disaster. She's just a power monger, like Bill, not some change-the-world cannabis-damaged psychopath... not naming any names.