EMC lab, screen room that fits a regular truck?

Hello Folks,

So far I've got no responses from the usual places and chances are they can't accommodate us this time. We want to do conducted susceptibility measurements on electronics for a truck. Since the cables will likely radiate off the stuff that's injected into them this would have to be done in a somewhat shielded environment. Doesn't need the foam dispersers and stuff but at least a good tight shield.

The problem: This is a full size tractor-trailer kind of truck. Full length with sleeper cab. Dismantling the exhaust stacks won't help much since the cab is almost that high itself. IOW it's "da big machine". Sans trailer though.

Any ideas? Ideally a lab that has the big amps and stuff so we don't have to rent. But either way is fine. Locations around Fremont, CA or at least Bay Area surroundings would be great. These things often yield only 5mpg or less on Diesel ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Y'know, I read 'fits a regular truck' to mean no more than 8 feet wide,

40 feet long, 11-12 feet high...

Not the other way around.

I guess I just lack imagination.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Unfortunately it often doesn't mean regular truck but regular "full size pickup truck". Way too small, you get stuck right at the doors. Well, you could step on it but then they'd be down one screen room ;-)

A typical entrance can bee seen at the upper right photo:

You could get a semi through there. But only once ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Can you do this outdoors, perhaps at an FCC Quiet Zone (or equiv.) and correct from there? Not sure if there are any out your way though.

I do hear Boeing has a screen room big enough for a jumbo jet.

Or course, that's probably up near Seattle, so at $4.75 a gallon for diesel.... Yikes!!

Reply to
mpm

The US car makers have the EMC labs for testing vehicles in house. They are very well equipped and they take jobs from the side. If you are interested, I can give you a contact.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

But AFAIK they are usually around Michigan which would be a 2-3 day drive clear across the country. If you know any in California or maybe northern Nevada please let me know.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's >5 by now :-(

We've got some mil places around here but they won't let civilians in. Nevada would be an option but we'd be in 110F and in the scorching sun all day. Plus with some luck you return to the generator to change a setting and a rattler has curled up on it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Aren't there some car companies in or around Fremont, CA?

They may only be manufacturing, though.

...Jim Thompson

|        America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave         |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

It's the NUMMI plant, mostly manufacturing for Toyota and GM.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

JPL, NASA, NIST? Maybe one of the big satellite manufacturers? Some of these payloads are "as big as a bus".

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

If they let outsiders in, that is. And Pasadena would be 1000 miles round-trip.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Find a nice quiet metal warehouse somewhere way out of town!

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Just to give you guys an example of what we are looking for:

Unfortunately in Europe :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Looks like we'll have to. The closest lab large enough seems to be Lockheed-Martin near L.A., too far away. Just talked to the guys at McClellan. Problem is, there isn't exaclty a "way out of town" in Silicon Valley. But if we have to we'll find something farther out in the hills. It doesn't have to be quiet, it's just susceptibility tests for now. So it wouldn't matter if a rock concert was going on in there ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I know that there are a LOT of auto design houses in and around Irvine, so someone there may have a test site...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Sure, there is one at Lockheed and there is one in Fullerton. But that's probably 1000 round tip. Or about 15 (paid) hours of driving and 200 gallons of California boutique-Diesel.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Might i suggest an alternative approach? Build and certify a temporary EMC chamber at a "remote" location, kinda like the Mariposa OATS facility but better shielded, etc.,

Reply to
JosephKK

Perhaps an absorber tent inside a steel only building?

Reply to
JosephKK

I have never seen one that was portable or could be rented.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I have seen rentable steel buildings, they may not be empty though. They may have big enough doors and enough free space to erect the tent one of your contacts proposed. The walls of the building would constitute a second layer of shielding.

Reply to
JosephKK