Embedded Threats

Eudora Pro v7..1.0.9

I'm getting a lot of E-mail recently where a zipfile is _embedded_ in the message rather than attached.

Invariably these embedded zip's are scripts, malicious I'm sure.

Any one know of a way to filter such that I can double-trash any E-mail with an embedded zip?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Eudora exists?

I would run far away from any email client that has the capability to unzip file. I don't even use HTML mail on the desktop nor automatically load images.

Reply to
miso

Of course, and works better than most E-mail clients.

I don't do anything "automatically", and I don't do HTML. I was just observing this new phenomenon.

Same with Eudora unless you configure it otherwise.

I didn't "unpack"... I peeked inside with a safe editor to see what was there... *.scr

I'm just trying to "automatically" eliminate as much trash as possible without me seeing it or having to be aware of it... a lot like here on S.E.D >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Yup, I use Thunderbird under Linux. It is quite conservative, and will only display some simple image forms. It will never unpack or execute anything without asking. You have to perform several clicks to unpack a compressed file form.

Automatically unpacking or executing code or scripts in an email is like putting a sign in your front yard saying "door's unlocked, take anything you want!"

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I've been on Claws for some time. Linux of course. Tbird has one advantage, namely being able to do searches inside email messages. It is slower otherwise to to the Mozilla bloat. Thunderbird is also on a maintenance only priority with Mozilla. I don't think they will dump it, but I don't think they will do much to it either.

I've been thinking of setting up Tbird as a pop3 to download the email on the desktop. But I want to limit the time range of messages it downloads. That is, I don't want to loose imap. But messages more than a month old aren't really needed in imap.

Reply to
miso