Electronics Surplus Stores, a Vanishing Breed

Meh - not funny. Many of the IEC standards (e.g. 60598.1) classify everything over 4VDC as hazardous live - because the "human body equivalent" test circuit has a 2kOhm DC resistance, and the touch current limit on a lot of things is 2mA. There is a second clause saying that apart from the touch current limit, anything over 34V is hazardous live. I believe that the writers of the standard intended things to be classified as live if the touch current was over 2mA AND the voltage was over 34V, but somewhere along the way the AND got left off, then some numpty inserted an OR instead. Therefore 5V power supplies are a shock hazard. One very expensive test lab even told me that my 0V (ground) wire was a shock hazard too, because it was the "neutral" for the "live"

+5VDC supply!

Hint: If you can design your product with no earth connection to the logic, then you will pass, as their "human body model" has one side grounded, and they probe one part at a time. If you do need an earth connection to your logic (maybe for shielding etc.), then run your TTL logic etc. from +/- 2.5VDC supplies, then you will also pass.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Mightohm made a list on his wiki:

I don't know whether it is up to date but I'm sure he'd welcome any corrections.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Boy, that's a name I have not heard in decades.

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close.......................... Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

I've been to Skycraft in Orlando several times when I go to Hamcation.

Gateway in St. Louis is still around.

Electronic Surplus is now in Mentor, under new ownership.

And Mendelson's in downtown Dayton still has that 1E6ft^2 building with 1+ floors of electronics.

Where is Halted now?

David Lesher

Close to the old location. 3051 Corvin Dr (between Kifer and Central).

Reply to
sms

Not to get too graphic, but when they mate it's sort of a scissoring action:

Gas tight, long wipe length and extremely reliable.

Thanks to RL for the name of the mfr. We used them in some nuke plant stuff eons ago.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

IBM Token ring used hermaphrodite connectors.

Reply to
sms

I didn't see anyone mention GR connectors.

Reply to
krw

But tedious to install and easily damaged.

We used something similar on shipboard controls. We punched them ourselves. Silly.

lunatic fringe electronics

I was just about to mention GR874s.

And there are APC7 microwave connectors. The cool thing about them is that the mating plane is truly planar, almost perfectly defined. You can open or short them and know exactly where the end is.

lunatic fringe electronics

Anything that uses the same terminal type on both sides of the connection is hermaphrodite. It means that the ratings, mtbf and cycle life are identical for both parts, and there's no cost differential between them.

Wish they worked easily as SMD assemblies; would solve a lot of problems.

RL

Reply to
legg

It is not a good "open" if you leave it unmated. It will radiate and also have fringing capacitance. If you go to the trouble of calculating that, you could similarly do so for any connector geometry.

Reply to
Chris Jones