Electronics Surplus Stores, a Vanishing Breed

We often take on a summer intern. I've had senior EE students who wouldn't touch a board full of 5 volt logic, for fear of being shocked. I suppose they would wear gloves to handle a 9 volt battery.

lunatic fringe electronics

Change doctors! :D

Epi pen?

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

In the 1970's I had three women in my EE class. They were total braniacs. I saw one walking through the campus one day, crying, and I asked her what was wrong. She had gotten a B on a test. Another one was constantly falling asleep in class but she didn't need to pay attention anyway. The professor would throw an eraser at her when he saw her sleeping.

Reply to
sms

We keep one handy, just in case some stray bee gets her in the garden.

We were getting 100 lbs or so of really good honey per year. The bees raided the neighbors gardens and the nearby canyon, so we got honey all year, interesting flavors. We had the whole setup, extractor and such.

lunatic fringe electronics

The Dean of our EE department taught a few classes. He wasn't very good. He would throw erasers at people who were taking notes, figuring they were sleeping or working on something else.

We had one girl in engineering while I was there. The dean of students had a talk with her and told her that the faculty didn't want to waste their valuable time on a woman who would just have babies. Her father was an ME with NASA, and her mother was an EE with NASA. The talk did work, so next semister she went somewhere else. I wonder how she did, maybe designed great stuff *and* had babies.

lunatic fringe electronics

OK, then, this guy must have been from that 70% group. And, these were SENIOR EE students??? Yikes.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

MAN, those are HUGE cores!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Maybe sell the electronics biz, and go into honey ale production! :D

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

On LI we had Edlies Electronics Inc , It still lives in some fashion. Theres an address not far from where it once was.

I remember the adds along side Poly Pak in the back of 73. Realy thick mag back in the day.

Martin Riddle

Eli's shut down about 15 years ago... But they sold the building for a big profit.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

.

Nowadays you can get plenty of stuff for nothing. People throw it out. New parts are cheap as chips from China, if not always ok. History you can get on ebay. What room is left for electronic surplus stores?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Way older than my one was. That must date from around the days of mercury delay lines and drum memory.

Looks like those hermaphrodite connectors? That's what we used to call them, but today maybe they would be called cis gender lesbian connectors..

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

heh..

Was that the Home Hardware that you can buy CMOS chips and resistors from the next aisle over from the paints? Supremetronic (not a surplus store but a shop selling Asian parts- guys from HK) used to be a few doors West of Active on Queen W. but they consolidated into a portion of a hardware store on College. I'd consider popping over there to see, but the Gardiner is closed this weekend so chaos will reign. They had some interesting hard-to-find consumer semiconductors, and none of the garbage that goes on with Aliexpress counterfeits etc. all good stuff for repairs.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

It does have RCA transistors!

Transgendered.

lunatic fringe electronics

From that size on down, the cost per each goes up......

RL

Reply to
legg

Yes, seniors. I knew this guy before college. He was trying to decide between electrical engineering and art. He was very smart, and a good artist. But he lacked the ability to design and build anything.

Reply to
sms

There were three women in my class (of ~400), also brainiacs. One I went to HS with and one was my lab partner most of the way through school. We met in the third semester physics studied every weekend to survive (we both missed the first half of the semester). The four of us (+ spouses) became good friends. I took the interview with IBM to get them to pay for the trip to NY to see them. ;-) Her father was one of my father's students, 20 years before.

Reply to
krw

My senior EE class at Tulane had 13 students. The EE department limped along until Katrina, after which the powers decided that the engineering school didn't have critical mass and would be eliminated. Engineering Dean Nick Altiero said it would disappear over his dead body, so invented a cool dual-major 5-year program, physics or biology or something at Tulane plus a couple of years at a cooperating engineering school somewhere else. It's working really well.

After the hurricane, a bunch of other universities accepted displaced Tulane students until TU could rebuild, dorms and school and all for free, and let Tulane keep the tuition.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yep, except it was east of Active. Same basic stock and supply methods. Now with with added smd on cut tape, arduino-type dev kits, chemicals. You pay more than DX, but you can see what's really there without looking at a screen, touch it, smell it, bite it, pay with simple money, and take it home with you, just like in the good old days. Not much counter help, now, except to retrieve something behind glass.

Prefer to hit town unencumbered, but with the bike for mobility. Never did get up to Steeles Ave W., in all those years.

RL

Reply to
legg

Invented, developed and still marketed to this day by EDAC. Simple, low-z, vibration-proof.

Made in Canada.

RL

Reply to
legg