Modern power relays for 120VAC?

Need a DP relay that can do 20 amps at 120VAC for a circuit board.

240VAC rating would be nice. 5V or less for the coil, through-hole or SMT but not spade lugs out the top or things like that. As small as possible and needs to be 3/4W coil power or less if DP, half that if only SP. Not too crazily expensive like the latching ones, meaning not more than a few bucks. Anyhow, after canvassing the usual suspects I was mighty disappointed. Since the last time I did that a few years ago there was ... literally no progress to write home about. Same old same old.

Isn't there anything better than the usual big old fat relays? Or cheaper latching relays?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Got room for a socket? Use a contactor.

Or buy one of the infinite gain units from Larkin :-) ...Jim Thompson

P.S.: Low contact resistance is also important. The usual 20mOhms is a bit much.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We use this:

TYCO PB T90N1D12-24

24 v coil, 20 amps at 240 VAC, single pole, $1.75 in modest qty. But the coil takes about 900 mW. There is a 5 volt version. You can cheat (PWM?) the pullin/hold coil current maybe, and get the average coil power down to your budget.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That, John, is a far better reply than JT's, which was insulting you and inviting your response. You will do good by not replying to his post at all, since it means nothing.

Just my opinion.

Reply to
John S

Thanks, I've already looked at that one, and pretty much all others that Digikey, Mouser and Newark carry. It spec's contact resistance at 75mOhm max. In reality I am quite certain it'll be under 25mOhm but at 20 amps that's still a whopping 10W. I think I am going to look at solar inverter stuff. Their relays are much better in contact resistance and they often have a "green spec", meaning they have the coil hold current right in the datasheet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's how much he knows about relays... nothing.

Besides, I have to keep friendly with Joerg. He owes me a beer.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Ga-a-a-awd! Another PLONKER.

John would be insulted, no matter what, for he's also a PLONKER.

Look up the definition... it was O'Reilly's word of the day, yesterday. ...Jim Thompson

And I still have the wooden beer coin for Zeitgeist somewhere around here :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Jim's classification doesn't need looking up: redneck asshole.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Gotcha, Ol' "Infinite Gain" :-)

But you're such a plonker, you don't really know what a redneck is.

I don't know why you need to be such a turd, but why don't you move yourself (the turd) outside with your "parentage", the dogs? ...Jim Thompson

ot

was

me old.

nd

Not to turn this into a beer thread..... but I had a Samuel Adams Apricot Ale the other day (imported from across the pond, supposedly). Damn fine stuff! Quite taste-y. And I'm usually very picky about brews.

Total Wine carries it locally. If you ever get the chance, try it.

Reply to
mpm

Joerg schrieb:

Hello,

I looked for a power relay here

2.5 mOhm per Kontakt and only 1 W, but it needs 24 V DC for the coil.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

d.

Relays are a very, very mature product line. I'm not sure what you were expecting to happen in the past few years!

You can't budge any of those specs?

20A 240VAC with 5V 1 watt coil is very common with a single contact. 20A 240VAC with 5V 0.8 watt coil with single contact exists too. e.g. Panasonic JTN1S-PA-F-DC5V but this takes a simple socket.

If the steady state coil power dissipation is a big deal, high amp relays with "pull-in coils" and "hold-in coils" (we called them "contactors" or "solenoids" back then) were popular in the past but I don't see them in the catalogs anymore.

I'm not sure who is selling your end product but if it's going to have a name like HONEYWELL on it you know they want you to make it so it costs them $5 but they sell for $800, right?

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

old.

I really don't like beer with fruit or spices in there. Almost every time we end up with a sampler pack there is a cinnamon ale or whatever in there. Blech! The exception is a spritz of lemon in lighter lagers, and only during hot summer months.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, those are contactors and they are the best. But unfortunately I don't have the room for such a monster size relay. It has to go on a little circuit board :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've looked at solar inverter relays and bigger 30A pump relays. None has two coils but I can pull in and then PWM them. Cajoling the inductive data and the plunger mass out of the manufacturer promises to be fun, that'll be on the calendar today :-)

No, this is a very different business :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

old.

We love Purple Haze, a wheat beer from Abita Springs, that has just a hint of raspberry.

Cinnamon ale sounds dreadful.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

old.

That depends on the definition of "hint". If I can taste it I'd probably not want another one.

The worst are pumpkin ales. But then again I also do not like pumpkin pie.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

was

old.

Well, you like those bitter hoppy things with optical densities around

4, Black Body Beer. I don't trust any beer or wine that I can't see through.

I have a pumpkin phobia, but the story is too terrible to repeat.