Electronics

I was listening to someone at lunch mention bobsled. I go to to thinking where this name orginated. I could not find anything on why this name orginated, then I began thinking if this was the same sled Bob was pulling in Jingle Bells. ?? One thing we know for sure, Bob's bells were ringing.

greg

Reply to
GregS

So I got misinformation somewhere in the trivia shows. There may still be a link to bobing. There is NO horse called Bob in Jingle Bells.

greg

Reply to
GregS

. . .

That's probably because there are no horses in Jingle Bells, only reindeer.

--
The Force is dark on one side, light on the other and holds the world
together.

Hmmm, just like Gaffer Tape then.
Reply to
Hot Jock

then

link to bobing.

Bells on bobtails ring..

Reply to
Eric

where

then

link to bobing.

Sno-o-o-ort!

"bobtails" == "bobbed" _horse_ tails

...Jim Thompson

where

then

link to bobing.

"bob tail"

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You might be thinking of "A Night Before Christmas."

"Jingle Bells" goes like,

"Dashing through the snow, In a one-horse open sleigh... ^^^^^

But I've never heard his name....

Ah! I see! "Bells on bobtails ring..."

So Bob isn't the horse's name - a "bobtail" is a horse who has had his tail trimmed, or "bobbed".

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If it were the name of the horse, it'd be "Bob Tail". ;-) It's supposed to be one word, "bobtail". For it to be grammatically correct as two words, it should be "bobbed tail". ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

snipped-for-privacy@zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote in news:gb8m5n$l6u$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu:

The verb "bob" has, as one of its meanings, "to cut/trip to a short length or smaller size". Used as a noun, esp. during the 1920's through about the

50's, it used to refer to a woman's short "pageboy"-type haircut (because the hair had been "bobbed"). This is also AFAIK the joke (albeit it a grim one) in the name "Bobbitt" and Mrs. Bobbitt's action. So, I've always assumed that a "bobsled" is a thing that "looks like a full-size sled that was trimmed down".

But I don't know whether that's the correct word origin - it's just what I've assumed.

HTH

Reply to
Kris Krieger

John turned out fine - in fact, he got a new job - he's a rep for Snap-On Tools. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm sure the Library of Congress must have a complaint form available on-line somewhere... ;-)

Here.. chat with a Librarian, maybe you can hook up or something:-

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Rich Grise wrote in news:pan.2008.09.23.19.16.19.818984 @example.net:

True. Plus, "Bob Tail" sounds like it's sliding over into the Larry Craig thread =:-o

;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger