economy multimeter?

I'm looking for an economy handheld multimeter with digi readout.

The basic measuring capabilities (resistance/AC/DC voltage and current) with a couple of exceptions.

I would like "autoranging" and the ability to measure up to 20 Amps.

Lab accuracy and precision NOT necessary.

Is it possible to get the above in a unit that has a brand name most of us would recognize, and for under $50?

I've seen a couple that met all the above requirements except for the

20A part..........

Lee Carkenord

Reply to
carkenord

Most very cheap multimeters with a 10A range will read 20A quite happily, if you only test it for a second.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

20A AC or both DC/AC. There are also some inexpensive clamp types. I usually just start looking to see whats on sale. Radio Shack, Harbor Freight, MCM, Jameco, etc.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Preferably 20 amps for both AC and DC........but I guess I could live with just 20 amp DC capability.

Lee Carkenord

Reply to
carkenord

A while back I took part in an interview/discussion group thing where a manufacture pays to have this done anonomously, so they can get a feel for what people like or need. This was about multimeters. I cannot name the company because they will kill me. There were about a dozen persons taking part of the discussion. I just thought it was interesting listening to what other fellow electrical people thought about current and future meters. Many had their own ideas on what they wanted for different reasons. Its kinda a personal thing.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Well, after a lot of online searching, the most interesting DMM I have found, within my desired parameters, is a Sears Craftsman.

It's Sears item # 03482400000 model 82400.

Specs say it has autorange and 20 amp ac/dc current. Now I need to see what kind of batteries it uses. It also comes with a "thermocouple", which I don't need.

I wonder who makes this particular DMM? Probably nobody that I've ever heard of, but I am somewhat comforted by the fact that Sears has a reasonable history of customer service, and this DMM is warranted for 1 year.

The price is $30.

Lee Carkenord

Reply to
carkenord

I'm willing to bet something under 0.1% of the people who buy that particular meter ever use the more exotic functions such as the transistor hfe checker. :-)

Did you find the "real" product specs anywhere (accuracy, ranges, etc.)? I'm not seeing them on Sears' web page.

In any case, for the price I'd say it looks like a good deal.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I can't speak for everyone, but myself........I will NOT use the more esoteric functions. DMM's continue to "do more".......just like cell phones continue to "do more".........so are we gonna see a DMM that also functions as a cell phone? (I don't have a cell phone.)

I didn't see detailed specs on website either. But a nearby Sears store says they have 11 of these meters on the shelf, so I'm going over there to do a "touchy-feely"...... I'm curious if the 20 amp DC capability is "continuous" or just "momentary"? I also hope it doesn't use some $$$$-type rare battery!

Lee C.

Reply to
carkenord

I bought an HP 3466 4.5 digit multimeter from Ebay for that amount of money (including shipping). Cheap 4.5 digit multimeters are hard to find. To me the HP3466 has 2 major advantages: first: it is mains powered which means no more hassle with batteries. second: It has an LED read-out which means the reading can be seen in the dark or when viewing the meter from an angle.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I went to the Sears store.....and after looking this DMM over, decided to buy it. Its Sears Model 82400. Due to a disagreement/misunderstanding, regarding the "holster"......Sears sold it to me for $29.99 minus 10%. Call it $27.

Time and usage will tell whether or not it's good, but I can't expect too much for that price. It's made in China. The manual says DCV accuracy is " +/- .5% reading + 2 digits." Also says "3 3/4 digit LCD 4000 count." The 20 amp ac/dc current measurement is 15 second limit......not continuous. It is powered by 2 each AA batteries......a big plus for me.

It's encased in a thick, resilient rubber-like jacket. Nice. Readeout is large contrasty numerals. It is "auto-ranging." It has a

26 page manual that looks well written, with clear pertinent diagrams and drawings. It looks like the manual was initially written in English......not some sorry translation. That's a plus, for sure! The manual says that the thermocouple is an "option".....but the thermocouple actually is included. There are several other "bells and whistles"......diode check, transistor check, freq, capacitance......stuff I will rarely if ever use.

A few quick checks of various electrical applications as I would normally do here in my workshop .....seems to function crisply.....seems "friendly". If I get a few years of reliable service from this unit, I will be happy. Right now I like it, but that doesn't mean that it will hold up in the medium or long term......we'll see.

Lee C.

Reply to
carkenord