Electric or science toy kits that are decent

They have a wide selection of science learning stuff, I suppose they are selling this under other names as well.

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep

"That toy has many projects that he can accomplish completely by himself and that he thinks are great accomplishments. "

Ig, that is one of the most important concepts a parent can teach their child...that given the effort, they can accomplish something they can call their own...a equally important benefit is that the child learns that the act of learning can be empowering. Any money and effort spent in introducing a child to the joy of learning will be repaid many times over.

I will also point out that this is a form of active entertainment (disguised as learning) that is the best alternative to other more passive forms like television where the participant learns little.

I might suggest in a few years introducing your son to modeling...right now his motor skills are likely not developed. Static models as first (snap together) with other to follow later. I have always had a weakness for rocketry and it is something that a father/son can participant in. The possibilities that the recent robotics kits offer are incredible and I recommend checking them out.

Good luck...both you and your son will have loads of fun.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Hell..Ive got a California C7-C10..and Im still afraid of electricity.

I find it keeps me from doing stupid shit from complacency.

Now if I could only work on those moments of stupid shit from stupidity.....

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

very well said.

I will check out that vex kit. my problem with toys in general is that there is not much that one can do with them. I would ideally like to find a computer controlled robot thing.

Ignoramus28822

I looked at that Vex robotics kit. Called some local Radio Shacks also. The half price offer on it ($149.99) is tempting, but it is way beyond my son's abilities. He is almost 5 years old, to be five in May. I think that I will skip on it for now. I would rather way for say 5 more years and get something more modern as far as control is concerned.

Ignoramus28822

The ones that really bother me are the ones like degreed electrical engineers that can't or can't be bothered to use Ohms law.

Reply to
Joseph2k

"I will check out that vex kit. my problem with toys in general is that

there is not much that one can do with them. I would ideally like to find a computer controlled robot thing. "

I am checking into both the Vex robot system and the Boebot that Radio Shack currently has on sale...the prices are both good on both systems. Bear in mind that Radio Shack may very well be dumping the Vex line...and I have concerns about Vex continuing to survive. Bearing this in mind, if you buy into the Vex line make sure you get all the pieces you will need.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Yep. We must always be careful.

I guy I knew was working on his house wiring, in his attic. He got electrocuted. One brief lapse of judgment was all it took.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yup. All sweaty in a hot attic and your skin resistance goes way down..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:12:56 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I've said it before, I say it again. Watching the electrician get bounced on his ass, accompanied by a large "zot", and have him get up, dust off his pants and say "I didn't think that would work..." told me enough about electricity and "experts".

OTOH, electricity is like water: it comes in, it must go out.

tschus pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
as an explaination for the decline in the US\'s tech edge, James

Quaker Oats still come in them, also Quaker Grits.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Try Lego Mindstorm, then. Completely programmable robot. Very cool.

-Aula

Reply to
Aula

"Try Lego Mindstorm, then. Completely programmable robot. Very cool. "

Still in the toy realm....I think with Ig's track record of being a great scrounger that he would be happy with building his own robot...something with a bit of muscle. The popularity of most of these kits is because the vast majority of people are not able to do mechanical and electronic building. The downside is that building what you want will take longer. As with his phase converter, Ig chose to build versus buy. The big advantage of buying one of the kits is that you get access to the software that others are writing...consider how popular computers would be if everyone had to code their own OS. Considering that Ig is no stranger around metalworking and electronics (AND he is willing to ask questions and listen to feedback...a BIG PLUS), I think he will end up buying the brains of the robot and building the rest.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

You know... You touched so many issues at once... And thanks for compliments...

As far as powerful robots go, in application to preschoolers, I think that safety considerations prevent me from using anything powerful.

As far as build vs. buy decisions go, I think that after he goes beyond the basic electrical toy kits, it would be better to just get real parts for him to mess around with, if he likes that.

We already played with a toy railroad, made a toy railroad gate that would close when atrain approached, controlled with a 4pdt 12 v relay. At that time though, it was more of a play with daddy type of thing for him, rather than a mechanical adventure. I would like him to move in this direction, as appropriate for his age. To me, real stuff has always had a lot more appeal than toy stuff.

What I want to do is build a nice toy elevator with him, one that would go to various floors and stop there, etc. (he is into elevators)

As for buying the brains and building the rest, I wish that I could find some simple platform that can easily communicate with a computer, like via a serial port, where the computer can get readings from several channels and drive seleral relays. So far I have not seen such a simple thing.

Ignoramus20015

For a year, I worked for the telco in Palm Desert, CA. During the summer, the frame room would be at 90-100 degrees, so you sweat enough to maintain moisture, even if most of it was evaporating rapidly. Lay your arm down momentarily across the wirewrap pins as some ring voltage hit it... Bam! you hit your arm on the wirewrap pins above! OUCH! you jerk it down onto the pins below, just as another burst of ring voltage hits, repeat...

After the third time, they finally answer the phone, and you get to go wash the blood off your arm... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson