Another obsolete part problem ...

I'm trying to repair a rather nice Hewlett Packard power supply for a friend and need an obsolete part. Does anybody know a UK source for a CA 3026? Please? With some help from the Old Boy Network, I've found a few suppliers across the pond but they either won't supply one off, or quote an outrageous shipping charge ...

The part is a dual differential amplifier IC. If I can't source it locally, what would be the drawback in emulating it with discrete components? It's only 6 transistors ...

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

have got 26 according to their stock list.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

ECG or NTE 906 replacement for CA 3026. You might find one in an old TV shop, or place that repairs industrial electronics.

What is the original HP part number?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Huh, I've got a few of those laying around.

I thought they were single diffs? Three transistors, couple of resistors, good to something like 100MHz.

Tim

Tim Williams

1820-0240

HP instruments with this part are:

6227B 6228B 6260B 6268B 6269B 6274B
Reply to
JW

=2E..

t's

CA3026 is the twelve-pin TO-5 (metal case) version of CA3054. That metal case is obsolete (about 20 years now), but the 14-dip CA3054 should be relatively current.

15V/50 mA ratings on the individual transistors - it'd be hard to find anything in a modern small-signal transistor that wouldn't handle this replacement task. One might use three dual transistors to ensure thermal matching, if it seems important. The hard part of making a replacement is to get that circular array of wires to stab into the solder-pad footprint...
Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks to all responders.

Just to close the loop, as it were, I managed to procure a CA3054 and used that instead of the CA3026 (HP 1820-0240). Mounted it on a small piece of Veroboard and connected to the original PCB with short wires. Seems to work fine. The only slight reservation is that the CA3026 is described in its data sheet as a "high reliability" component, and knowing HP's philosophy on quality from 30 or so years ago, I suspect the 1820-0240 could even be from a 'selected' batch too. Well nevertheless, it's failed twice in the life of the unit. The first time, before the latest failure, was 19 years ago, so I'm worried the 3054 will have an even shorter life ;-)

Oh, and the unit is indeed a HP6261B !

And finally, Langrex didn't show when I did a Google search - the only UK supplier I found that didn't have a silly money minimum order, or other unpleasant trading condition was in Tyne and Wear and the company never answered my e-mail enquiry.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull