eepc waste of money

I have mine at work right now, plugged into a large monitor. It makes for a lot less eye strain.

Reply to
MooseFET

It can be client OS dependent as well, if the DHCP server is a skosh buggy.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Also, the client needs a direct connection to the DHCP server. DHCP requests won't normally propagate through a router (or a PC running Internet Connection Sharing).

Reply to
Nobody

The DHCP requests propagate just fine through my routers and switches. MS-ICS is a different bag of worms.

Reply to
JosephKK

What grade of large? 17 inch? larger? What resolution?

Reply to
JosephKK

DHCP will propagate fine through a hub or switch, but it can't be routed as the client lacks an IP address (that's why it's issuing a DHCP address).

DHCP requests are broadcast, typically with 0.0.0.0 as the source address. The server uses the source MAC address to choose an IP address. Replies are sent back to the MAC address from which the request originated. All of this operates at the link layer (ethernet, WiFi) rather than the IP layer.

You can, however, run a DHCP relay on a router. This is essentially a proxy server for DHCP. It will work regardless of whether the "router" is actually a router or just a multi-homed host. Even if it is a router, it isn't *routing* DHCP requests.

Reply to
Nobody

,
.
.

he

Its about that big (holds out hands)

It really is just a 15 inch. I'm not sure what resolution the monitor can to but I am only feeding it 800x480 because I left the display geometry at the LCD numbers instead of pushing it up.

It makes for great big characters that I can even read without glasses.

Reply to
MooseFET

With ICS, ICS is the DHCP server. With my wireless setup, my adsl router is the DHCP server. I am fairly sure that the Netcomm router is linux based. My mates dlink router is linux based. I could not obtain and IP address from either. So that is 2 routers, so I am guessing that the problem is with the EeePC. As for ICS, well an ethernet connection to my router worked fine so I would suggest that ICS was the problem. I have used ICS plenty before with and without problems, so if I had spent more than 5 minutes on it I could probably have got it working. Same goes for the wireless

All of this has nothing to do with the fact that I could probably get it working if I really tried (just like the 3g modem) but the point was that it failed out of the box. If you handed the device to someone without technical experience then it would be a total waste of money. IF I take a MS laptop, it almost always works, MS or linux host, and certainly takes less effort.

Reply to
The Real Andy

That the whole point of trialing something isn't it? Unpack it, follow the prompts and see what happens. I did exactly what it told me to do, just as any non technical user would. Considering I deal with non technical users it kinda makes sense to do this

Reply to
The Real Andy

Again, try turning off the firewall for a moment when you are trying to get a new IP address. Sometimes the settings for that are so extreme that it even blocks those messages...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

When we visited a friend's house, our friend pulled out a WinXP eeePC. "Neat!" I thought. Then we tried to surf the web with it. Sooooo sllllooooowwwww!!!!! (And it wasn't his wifi either. FireFox took eons to start up.) I thought the slowness was from crapware bloat, so I tried the usual tricks: Regedit, HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft \\Windows\\Currentversion\\Run. Nothing obvious that could be eliminated.

I'm hoping the Linux version is faster.

Also the tiny keys take some serious getting-used-to.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I wonder if it's the SSD.. my MSI Wind is quite acceptable. Plug a real keyboard and monitor into it, and it looks a bit pokey, but given the size and weight (and VERY long battery life with the enormous pack I added) it's more than okay.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:47:07 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

It depends on your definition of 'fast'. The screen is a bit small for web browsing, but I am used to huge LCD now. Anyways, I installed the 'opera' web browser on my eeePC 701. And I have been using that almost exclusively, Even its email works.... Opera has a view mode for small screen too, probably for mobile phones. The F11 key gives you full screen, without all the space taking toolbars, but you can then still scroll. Great for weather maps. I just took Opera from my debian like grml system, and copied it and some libraries to the eeePC and it worked. The fact that I did not use firefox anymore since then, should be a hint :-) The times: It takes 5 seconds for opera to start up (have it under 'ctrl alt o'), and 4 more seconds for it to display my website main page (that is what it comes up with).

2 seconds to load the weather satellite IR map of Europe from
So that is including the network delays...
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

.

ox

Firefox launching within 5 seconds of double-click, as opposed to 20+ seconds?

.

Yes! F11 is mandatory on that small screen.

libraries

:-)

alt o'),

t comes up with).

Reply to
mrdarrett

So is knowing that Alt+drag (on something other than the title bar of a window) lets you move it off-screen. Otherwise you're completely blind to the lower parts of some dialog boxes!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

It's possible that this is "a feature, not a bug". Whereas Windows tends to sacrifice security for the sake of usability, Linux tends to be the other way around.

I wouldn't be too surprised if you had to explicitly tell it to use DHCP to obtain an IP address, or if you had to explicitly configure the firewall to permit the communication, or if you had to explicitly tell it which WiFi network and/or the WEP/WPA key to use.

Reply to
Nobody

I dont think that is true these days.

Probably. I intened to have a look at it soon. My interest at the moment is getting the AVR32 (AP7) stuff running. Awesome bit of gear. Probably have a stuff around with the EeePC this weekend.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Browsing on the linux version is not that great either. Its ok, but not as fast as winodws or linux running on a real PC.

Reply to
The Real Andy

he

t.

Fox

Ah.

If it's just browsing on the go you want, why not try a PDA smartphone like the BlackJack? Some plans even allow tethering to a laptop (using the smartphone as a modem)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

CTRL_ALT_T