EE rant

On a sunny day (Fri, 13 Jan 2023 13:16:32 -0800) it happened Joerg snipped-for-privacy@analogconsultants.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

Yes, was in Boblingen Germany for training on Ampex equipment (AVR1 video recorders and ?4000 slow motion machines a couple of times, Weeks in a hotel, during the day electronics, had 12 kg books when flying back, all circuit diagrams...

You learn German and German food :-) Been there more times, later, Berlin before and after the wall fell. Half a day drive from here.

So you learn German. Spend some time in France and after a few days had no problem communicating there, they started teaching French here in kindergarten!

Belgium is more difficult indeed ;-)

Well I worked in TV, many years, media center in Hilversum, old studio Vitus Bussum.. and the old 35 mm film processing site in Bussum before that,

Did not watch a lot of TV in my free time , but in it all day...

There is a lot educational potential in TV. I remember the first TV I did see, nobody here had one but one kid had one (his parents) and for like 10 cent you could go there and watch it. I got ten cents from my mother and went, it was a physics educational program, from the same old studio Vitus where I was to later work, in black and white of course, where a guy was showing how air pressure could sort of implode a metal can (created a vacuum). So simple, I was sold on it... Started to want to design my own. No money no parts, but then later in high school when I got hold of an old TV CRT... Made the HV with an old ignition coil connected to an old tube audio amplifier that I made oscillating by feeding back to the input.. You gotta be inventive.. Was my first scope! Other audio amp for vertical deflection, all magnetic deflection of course. And transistor radio transmitters, FM, with the first transistors that could do 100 MHz,..

9 V battery and a dynamic microphone in series with it to modulate the voltage to a one transistor oscillator, the Vce change the mice caused gave enough capacitance change and so frequency change to be able to hear a clock tick via the FM radio.

OK, the 'ether' stays, but the sets do fail, so do the conditions at times!! Interesting what the ether is, my idea (ATM) is that in a Le Sage model of gravity it just may be that those Le Sage particles are also carriers of EM radiation, explaining why gravity moves at C and a whole lot of other things. The Einstein parroting hard is not yet to the point where they accept that his theory is just math crap without a mechanism_... As electronics / Oh m's law is crap without electrons.

's_theory_of_gravitation

Do Not Underestimate AI

Bit of training and it will be better than you at this sort of thing!!

I was playing with one of those text to image programs yesterday (you can find free ones online) and asked 'Show me president Biden's top secret papers' (specify a bit more explicit). "Nothing you can know that is not known.... all you need is love (Beatles)" or 'all you need is AI?'

Its amazing

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Most German and Dutch tech and management types that I work with speak good English, which is great since I can't learn languages.

On a sunny day (Sat, 14 Jan 2023 08:20:43 -0800) it happened John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yea, most in the Netherlands can understand and sort of speak English. It was a required language in high school, German and French too. Lots of foreign students here too, lessons given in English.

Sometimes I think in Dutch, sometimes in English...

Its not hard to learn a language, remember some words, grammar, expressions... go there to hear it spoken, listen to their radio or TV for pronunciation and common use.

There was a recent TV program that showed the latest exhibition of ;tronix stuff with an ear-piece that translated

5 different languages to English! With that you do not need to study,, Not sure if you can talk back with it though.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Babelfish!

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Not for me. My hearing is fine but my signal processing isn't. I hate music. I can't understand English with an accent. I can't decode words if there is background noise or other people talking nearby. French class almost flunked me out of high school. I could speak it but not hear it, the opposite of most people.

One reason I went to Tulane is that the EE school had no language requirement.

Brains vary.