economic mystery

Tell the insurance company that the bikes are part of your employee physical fitness program and ask for a discount.

I lived in Dallas near the end of the .com era and it seemed like there were a lot of tech firms there. TI had a couple of big plants, Nortel commuters pretty much took over US-75 in Plano in the morning, Raytheon was in Garland, there was more stuff out towards Irving and Ft. Worth... On the other hand, some of this may have scattered in the intervening decade-plus.

One thing I have noticed about Texas is that a lot of the citizens support the right to do whatever the hell you want on your own property. If you have a house, you can sit in your house and get drunk/stoned or read the Bible or raise your kids - they don't care. If you have land, you can plant crops, graze cows, drill an oil well, have bonfires every weekend with 500 people dancing naked around them - they don't care.

I think the revival of the oil patch has helped Houston. They do a lot of stuff but oil is still a big player there. I lived in Oklahoma in most of the '00s and the few remaining oil businesses there were usually trying to move to Houston.

One nice thing about Houston is that any vehicle with an engine that you drive there - gasoline, diesel, hybrid or not, any year, make, model - will get around 5 to 10% better fuel mileage, since the air in Houston is approximately 10% to 25% petroleum products by volume. :)

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

We can do a 1033 (or something) exchange for a building of equal or higher value, and avoid the capital gains taxes. The tax code was apparently written by the real estate industry. So we wind up with some more space in a less tony neighborhood. I hope.

Scrap. It's on its last legs anyhow.

The climate is too close to New Orleans. And the skiing isn't so good.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

fed keeps

house of

Bagels with cheese spread and lox, please.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk