Lunch

Designing electronics makes a boy hungry.

The McDonalds 1/3 lb sirloin burger is actually pretty good. If you scrape off the yukky cheeze stuff.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com

What? No real burgers there in gay ol' SF? ...Jim Thompson

Nothing like a home-cooked burger from the barbecue, can be prepared over charcoal right outside my office. With Japalenos, garlic and lots of good stuff in there.

Once I brought one on board a Southwest flight and ate it. Several rows of people stuck their noses in the air and almost started drooling. The stewardess must have been asked what they cost, she recommended not to do it again, or bring 100 of them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We have a few.

Zuni has a burger that's astounding; $16, shoestring fries extra, and then there's the mandatory rum&coke.

Absinthe is superb too, about the same price but comes with wonderful fries.

Trick Dog makes a long skinny burger from sirloin, chuck, and brisket, served on a hot dog bun with fries that are so crunchy they're like broken glass on the outside, gooey on the inside.

Zeitgeist has been pretty good lately. The ambiance is ratty picnic tables sitting on dirt under a freeway ramp. The problem is that they have 44 beers on tap, so the afternoon is shot.

All too big a deal for everyday lunch. We sometimes go to Zeitgeist for electronic brainstorming sessions, which work until the beer kicks in.

I usually grab something fast and eat at my desk. Half of the McDonalds sirloin is about right, and I can have the rest tomorrow. A go-out sit-down lunch slows things down.

Now, if I amp up on chocolate, I might draw a schematic.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Wed, 20 May 2015 12:51:38 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Yeah those 6 months expired meat purchases they make must be tasty.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 20 May 2015 13:24:42 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

It is fake. If it were real, it would be illegal, and your already f***ed brain would have even more holes in it than you self imposed with your utterly stupid holier than thou mindset.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 20 May 2015 13:24:42 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Fresh ground beef at 72% or better from any local grocery is far fresher.

Then my special rub makes the burger.

I have a trick for applying it uniformly every time. It should be a "trick of the month" in Popular Mechanics.

Fresh printer paper. Far cheaper than any paper towel.

Instead of rubbing the meat patties with the rub, sprinkle it evenly on the paper, and slap the perfectly formed patty onto it. Absolutely uniform every time, and never too much, which is often the case with hand applied rubs. Perfectly spiced burgers result.

Daily visits to McDonald's killed my younger brother at 48.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

In-N-Out did a one-day pop-up store in Toronto last September, but they're not East of the Dallas area yet.

These guys copied their loose burger style and secret menu:

(370 days is the answer to get in)

Pretty good but not cheap.

Double patty with panko-covered jalepenos:

P.S. JL- if you've got a couple extra minutes, put in a grill order at McD's to leave out the muck. Better and fresher.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

  1. It is real.

  1. You are Always Wrong

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den onsdag den 20. maj 2015 kl. 22.54.54 UTC+2 skrev Spehro Pefhany:

here McD makes everything to order

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There no In-N-Out in Da City, but there's one in Daly City on Eastmore Street, which we call Greasemore Street. Several on I80 headed to Truckee.

InO is pretty good for a classic American thinnish fast-food burger. No beer.

Neat trick.

In-n-out has an entire unpublished, secret menu that insiders know to ask for.

What I wish we had here was Dunkin Donuts. They have the best Boston Creme.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

only six months? that's fresh meat around here.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Around here it's Krispy Kreme, or independents, who are almost all Cambodians.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Wed, 20 May 2015 14:03:02 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

No, it is not.

The *real*, original absinthe had wormwood and thujone in it, and if a man partook more than once, he may as well check in at the loony bin. Wormwood and its derivative thujone are illicit ingredients. Since it was banned, all "versions" claiming to be the real thing are not as they do not incorporate the original recipe.

Not wrong. More like SPOT ON! The FAKE shit you drink or drank are/were just that... FAKE.

You are always stupid.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Den torsdag den 21. maj 2015 kl. 01.02.10 UTC+2 skrev DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno:

in bitters EU rules allow up to 35 mg thujone pr. liter so you can get real original absinthe

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Apparently its effects were over-rated. If a few psychotic artists wig out on absinthe, what it really means is that they were psychotic.

I just go to Absinthe for the food, but they do sell the stuff.

The burger is another chuck and brisket combo, which seems popular lately, and very good.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Wed, 20 May 2015 16:09:51 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen Gave us:

I doubt it seriously, since the LD-50 is not much higher than that.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

More recent research has strongly suggested that the original claims that thujune was brain-damaging were probably mistaken. A lot of the harm ascribed to the original versions of absinthe is now believed to have been caused by adulterants present in many of the cheaper brands (e.g. cupric acetate for color and antimony trichloride for turbidity), significant levels of methanol from poor fermentation and distillation practices, and (to put it simply) alcoholism and poor nutrition among heavy imbibers.

It looks to me as if the claim that "if a man partook more than once, he may as well check in at the loony bin" is on the same order as a lot of Reefer Madness hyperbole.

The EU does permit absinthe with a maximum thujone level of 35 mg/kg. Some EU states still restrict or forbid it.

It's legal in Australia, Georgia, Finland, and is legal and available in most provinces in Canada (with limitations on thujone content in some provinces).

The U.S. does permit absinthe these days, but if it contains wormwood or other Artmesia species it's required to be "thujone-free" which in practice seems to mean less than 10 mg/L (the officially prescribed test method has this much margin for error).

Some interesting information:

Apparently, GLC analysis of both modern and "vintage" absinthe samples indicates that most have very low thujone levels (it doesn't distill out of the ferment at all easily), and that modern and vintage absinthes are generally comparable in their ranges of thujone content. "Many pre-ban era absinthes would be legal in the US today by modern government standards."

Reply to
Dave Platt

Very nice post, Dave. Thank you.

Reply to
John S

On Wed, 20 May 2015 17:51:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@coop.radagast.org (Dave Platt) Gave us:

The LD-50 for cannabis is like 2.5 lbs.

No comparison with this poison you tout as being safe.