Watt Sun Atto Parsec

If you remember the guy (and whatever happened to him, hasn't been seen here for years now), he'd probably get a kick out of this one.

Around 67% efficient, 1W capacity (the Chinese LED claims "3W", but a AA won't supply that much, at least not for very long). I forget what frequency, 100-200kHz I think? The three position switch provides two brightness settings, though there's also an "undocumented*" flasher mode, where you put your finger over the two pins, providing about 2M of leakage, enough to charge up the base bypass cap, and make it blink at about a Hz. (The resulting waveform has a pulse width of a couple microseconds, probably difficult to capture consistently on video, but more than bright enough by eye.)

*Until it became documented. Right here, just now.

I recall Watt Sun searched long to find a good core for the transformer... of course, it helps to look in the right places. This one's a powdered iron, mix #6 I think, so it's got plenty of energy storage, without getting hot. Solid ferrite is absolutely the wrong material, even for low power circuits; but if you can get something with a gap, ferrite is excellent. As it happens, you can easily calculate how many turns and how much gap you need for a core of given measurements; no need to guess. Powdered iron depends on the grade; #26 and #52 are almost better resistors than inductors, but the lower-mu grades (#1, #2, #8, etc), and anything MPP, Sendust, Kool-Mu, etc., are pretty good. For these, just measure the A_L (or look it up, if it shows up in the materials listings at Micrometals) and put on as many turns as needed.

The transistor is one of those low-Vce(sat) types. It'll do a couple amperes with less than 0.5V drop, and that with hFE > 50. They're pretty great, like MOSFETs with really high transconductance and an unusually leaky gate.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

He has a blog:

Schematic?

Speaking of FETs:

Looks OK but I haven't built one. ;>)

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Ah, neet!

Standard -- switched base bias, (open) / 1k / 100 ohm, 0.1u base bypass I think, 47u (ceramic) supply bypass, PBSS4540 switch (or thereabouts -- one of those 40V 5A low-sats, NPN), LED connected C-E (no rectifier or anything). I forget the turns and ratio, but that's not hard to get in the ballpark.

Supposedly good down to 30mV or so. Not that you get much out of a 10mA JFET. Or even 100mA if you have J105s.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Speaking of old SED people.

Whatever became of "Genome" who used to post here?

Reply to
Kennedy

(snip)

And Rich Grise, and Kevin Aylward, and the kid-sex-obsessed wannabe commie whose name I can't recall, and all the other (ir)regulars from the Olden Daze?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Kevin Aylward has posted here several times in the past few weeks.

Who was "kid-sex-obsessed wannabe commie"? I don't recall that one. Unless you mean "miso", he's still posting, but blanked-out ;-)

Rich Grise, I believe, had some serious health issues.

Who knows? I note several "departures" from newsgroup comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows due to "natural causes". ...Jim Thompson

(snip)

Oops, my dumb.

It took some digging in the archives- Richard Steven Walz. His website is still up but I don't see him posting in newsgroups. I don't miss him.

No, I don't think miso endorses sex for/with minors.

Yeah, he seems to have shuffled off, as it were. I find I actually miss him.

Dagnabit, now I'm reminded of my own mortality. A trip last Friday to the E. R. to find that I have COPD doesn't help, I suppose.

Ah, well, the ride ain't over yet. I have grandkids to live for so I better cheer up.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

I do. He posted better - more pungent - abuse than anybody who has posted here since. He had a real flair for putting together sequences of words that upset his targets. Even the late, great - and extremely equable - Tony Williams got a bit peeved by

" Not me, and whatever twisted little island that would make the KNOWLEDGE of how to make things illicit, I hope it jolly well sinks or catches fire and burns her majesty's butt to the water line,and you lot can go slogging around in waders!! "

it doesn't make a great deal of sense, but the images are striking.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to