economic absurdities (2023 Update)

Smart economists often aren't in the business of predicting the future as a whole anyway, the one I know is in the business of writing math-heavy papers with conclusions that might help one particular type of business in one particular industry be more productive/make more profit than they are currently with the tools they already have, if anyone bothered to read the papers or believe the conclusions. He sees himself more as being in the field of mathematical optimization than fortune-telling.

Reply to
bitrex

Exactly. They are usually dead wrong about what works but get Nobel prizes for useless equations. Like most other tribes, what economists want most is power.

Reply to
jlarkin

I don't tend to think of middle-aged men who daily drive a Subaru Impreza to really be the power-hungry egomaniac-type but maybe. He tends to find economist-jokes as amusing as anyone "Y'know why they don't hold economist conferences in Vegas..."

Reply to
bitrex

Yes, the sort of power Larkin lusts for but will never have! lol

Reply to
Rick C

I skimmed this post until I saw the comments above. Thinking you were debating with CD or some other arch-conservative I looked and it was Larkin! I never realized he was such a hater and out of touch with reality in this way. Sure, he listens to idiots spouting nonsense about climate warming, but the nonsense about a public housing underclass is the sort of rant that only a few here would spout!

I think he was always in support of vaccines, no? He has always bragged about creating them. It's no surprise he took them... just a bit too late to not catch the disease. I see the Biden White House has it's mini-plague too.

It's funny that his "supporters" boo him for saying that they work and they are a good thing. He does always back away from saying others should be forced to take them or even that they should take them. He still gets booed.

Why is everyone so fu**ing stupid?

Rick C

There's not a lot of riches or power in the business of telling people things they don't want to hear, which is what economists making academic salaries often do with their time.

You could write a whole book about whether e.g. the configuration of state borders in the US is optimal for small-business profitability and efficiency of interstate commerce (they aren't) but who wants to hear this and what would they do with this information anyway.

Reply to
bitrex

Nah, a person is smart:

(the "and you know it" while speaking to a black man may have been lost on some people in the audience, though.)

Reply to
bitrex

Larkin isn't totally off the mark about the Democrats, there's not a lot to like about them.

Where he goes off-the-rails is that washed-up game show hosts are some kind of improvement.

Reply to
bitrex

Evidence? During the great depression, small businesses (family farms) didn't benefit while government 'did less'.

Because 'all businesses' isn't a voting block. And 'all businesses' isn't a good criterion for discriminating investors either; why should a governing body be saddled to serve the needs of 'all business'?

Reply to
whit3rd

On a sunny day (Sat, 25 Dec 2021 12:33:48 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I wonder, how many homeless are in the US versus for example Russia or China, any idea?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It would be hard to get believable stats from Russia or especially China.

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:38:50 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

OK, so I googled a bit and found this, that site seems OK..

So from that homeless per 10,000:

Cuba 0 China 18 Russia 4 US 17.7

In Russia they would likely freeze to death, so it is of course climate dependent. But then Cuba 0 is perhaps an eye opener

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

May depend on the definition of a "home".

As for China, also look into the "ant army", now called the ant tribe:

.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

And Cuba's literacy rate is 99.71 %

Reply to
jlarkin

This for Cuba:

Ed Lee

On a sunny day (Sun, 26 Dec 2021 12:17:16 -0500) it happened Joe Gwinn snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sure, is not that everywhere, even here in the Netherlands students have a hard time finding housing during their study. There is a big shortage of housing, the new government has plans to start building more. Students here also accumulate large debts studying... OTOH the jobless rate is low. That wikipedia also links to the 'Rat tribe':

homes here, been there, old house many rooms. I have also lived in summer houses... even when I had a job, housing is very difficult here. To qualify for a house (rent) you have to be registered for years, so for a student who just graduated no way unless parents are rich, those need to rent some cheap room (I did).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

<snip>

There are minimum pay laws in most more or less civilised countries. The US is less civlisied than most and it;s minimim rate per hour is pretty low.

But if the companies who sell you those cheap imports rely on slavery to make their products cheap, US companies aren't supposed to buy them.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Yup.

Reply to
jlarkin

North Korea outperforms the US on this metric :) (It's not on the list)

Reply to
Tabby

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Thu, 6 Jan 2022 10:37:52 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <sr6gq0$8oq$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that the John Doe troll does not even follow it's own rules that it uses to troll other posters.

8Gz+YbHwWrL6
Reply to
Edward Hernandez