"eater of broken meats" was 10 Science Fiction Novels You Pretend to Have Read (And Why You Should Actually Read Them)

> You, on the other hand, are a rascally, worsted-stocking knave, and an

> > eater of broken meats. > I'm fairly sure I'm going to regret asking, but how does one *break* > meat?

Yeah, I always wondered about that myself. Perhaps Shakespeare meant a savage who dispenses with cutlery and instead simply rips raw meat chunks from a carcass.

A buddy of mine used to live on a Caribbean island. He told me about the local butcher simply slamming down a dull cleaver on a side of beef to cut off portions for customers. The cleaver shattered bones and left lots of tooth breaking chips sprinkled in the meat.

--
Don Kuenz
Reply to

In shakespeare's day meat didn't only mean animal flesh, but also included other foods like bread,

And in 1608 when king lear was published very few english people (if any) ate with a fork.

I had a chicken curry in Fiji in 1981 that had bone bits in it.

Tooth enamel is harder than bone,

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

The Chinese way of cutting chicken etc. is pretty much that way (except that the cleaver is kept sharp). Right through the bones and all.

Spehro Pefhany