Re: Generator Hassles

The electrical service goes to the house. There are 3 underground 000

> cables that go to the barn from the house. The barn has a 60 amp breaker in > the breaker box at the house. The 12,000 watt generator is in the barn. It > has a 50 amp 240vac outlet, a 30 amp 240vac outlet and several others. I am > hooking the 50 amp outlet to the house. I am using the same 3 underground > 000 cables to send generator power to the house during a power outage.

sampe problem same solution.

A 90 amp contactor in the barn won't connect the generator to the house > unless: > 1. The electrical service to the house is off, and > 2. The service disconnect switch at the house is off. > > When the generator is turned on, it tests the service disconnect at the > house to assure the above two conditions are met. This is done by sending a > 1 second electrical pulse to the house to see if it will actuate a coil. If > the coil actuates, the 90 amp contactor latches open and prevents backfeed > into the grid.

sounds unlikely to work.

If the service power turns on during that 1 second, the > generator power and service power will clash and throw a 50 amp breaker to > the generator.

if you're lucky.

Jasen Betts

Actually it'll probably blow his generator, and resolve the problem almost immediately... With luck, Jon will be fondleing it at the time.

Reply to
PeterD

r to

THAT IS CRUEL AND UNCALLED FOR YOU SOUND PERTURBED PETERD STOP FONDLING YOURSELF I WILL HELP YOU BEND OVER AND SPREAD WIDE

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV

10 points to you..
Reply to
Very Sick Edmond Wollmann

that's now way it could go, another is the gernerator could phase-lock with the mains. and continue to run.

Jasen Betts