E-Test?

Whats the E-Test for? They test the board for proper electrical connections? If so what do they do when there is a bad board? Do they replace the board? I'm curious because the cost is 200$ for an E-test on a relatively simple board run and I don't think it is needed.

Reply to
Bobby Joe

As I understand it, it's a point to point flying probe check. I've not had it done on simple boards when only having a low number made.

When a faulty board is found my vendor simply marks it as being faulty.

Reply to
Polyp

For my case the only issues I can see are at the high pin count SMT's with a pitch of about 8 mils. Other than that I have made sure everything on the board has a clearance of at least 10 mils. 90% of the board is just running traces from led's to the IC's. Since I will be hand assembling the first few boards I imagine I will be able to see any of the main issues and I will have to do checks anyways to makes sure my soldering was good. So I can't justify an extra 20-30% increase in cost just for the E-test if that is the only reason. The boards are only 2-layer so I don't have to worry about inner traces that I can't get at.

Reply to
Bobby Joe

Correct, and for shorts too.

They usually toss them out, but you can specifically ask them to send the bad boards, useful for manual samples etc.

Depends, some do, some don't. Usually they manufacture more boards than you order, just in case a few fail for this or other reasons (silk screen, soldermask etc)

It's free (or built into the price) with

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

In that case I wouldn't bother either.

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

Well, if you do not think it is needed, go without and save the nickels. Any PCB fab house that has been business a number of years has good quality; if they start to slip, customers will go elsewhere and they would go bankrupt very fast. Looking for PCB house info from an independent party? try

Robert Baer