DVD Burner?

Yer an idiot, and likely off by at least four... now 5.

Reply to
GooseMan

gh.

ow

by

G to

Tell us about what is improved in the Revo 2!

You're obsessed because you BOUGHT a Revo? ROFL

It will be superceded by better technology. You shoulda bought Version 2!

LOL

Reply to
Greegor

YOU babbled, dumbfuckgreegor.

I straightened YOU out. Alas, it appears that you are too goddamned dumb to learn anything after tempering your previously embraced hard wired stupidity.

Likely, annealing is not possible. You are the weakest link... goodbye.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Still got my EMP 20 (and higher) software, asswipe. You?

Maybe it will dawn on you when you figure why it is still being taught in CS circles around the world. D'oh!

Reply to
TralfamadoranJetPilot

I'd be more than willing to bet that the part that does the MP3 decode is a separate engine, not the Z-80. Doesn't matter that it is on the same die.

I'd also be willing to bet that not only does it accept the Z-80 API, but that *THAT* API is an expanded one, which kind of negates calling it a Z-80. Z-80 BASED, yes. But if the API is extended, it is obviously a different processor, even though many calls, and physical hooks are the same. Based on? More likely "Filched From..."

Can you even grasp that, Egregious Boy?... Mr. Superhero to no one?

Reply to
Sum Ting Wong

If the API is not EXACTLY the same, it is NOT the same processor.

Hint: THAT is pretty much a "PERIOD" kind of statement.

I'll bet there are more instructions. Different set... different processor.

The Z=80 has been emulated in Windows, DOS, etc. platforms for years with great success. We could probably make some MP3 firmware hack engines with it.

MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet

[snip]

And downright trivial to filter out with Agent. Contact me privately for the formula. ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

quoted text -

I don't know why I do it... A hard day at work (dealing with morons), and now for a double-dose, I have to click SED. ?? Like most of us give a shit what kind of CD/DVD drive you buy...

I figured you could put the savings towards that hearing aid - just doing my part, so to speak.

But anyway - to possibly put the discussion back on a more reasonable track, did you happen to catch the recent NPR story (Thurs, I think?) about CD's and DVD's not being good candidates for archival storage? Apparently, the discs can oxidize over time and lose bits and bytes that the error correction schemes eventually can't correct. Then you're stuck with a coaster, or frisbee, I guess.

One caller mentioned gold-layer discs, and (supposedly), these are "much better", having a lifespan up to 300 years. (eyes rolling) However, the expert NPR had on the show didn't seem to be knowledgable about them. Anybody know the skinny on them? And what about storage on flash, like those little SD cards used in digital cameras? Will they outlast a CD/DVD?

One last thing - at least the NPR interviewee was astute enough to mention that another potentially big problem is having hardware to read all those archive CD's and DVD's decades from now. Think: 8- track, cassette, albums and reel-to-reel. (wax cylinders for Jim. Kidding!!) Another metion was metadata, which could also be "lost" if decades from now we "forget" how to read and/or interpret that metadata information.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

3 wire handshake and IEEE488 (originally HPIB/GPIB) was good for around 1Mb/s bulk transfer rate if you were careful, and about 1/3rd of that if you were not. It is an ancient HP specification dating back to 1975. You could certainly have cable runs of a few metres working at nearly full speed (off label). Stacked GPIB connectors would sometimes pull smaller kit off a table by their physical weight and very stiff cables.

Still in use for some instrumentation but now largely replaced by Ethernet or USB. One clear advantage was that the GPIB connectors are chunky enough to survive the rough and tumble in industrial test environments. According to Wiki NI introduced HS-488 which is allegedly good for up to 8Mbyte/s in 2003 (never used it though).

maximum for a

cable...

External SCSI did it that way for a while. And in the early days when USB stood for Unstable Serial Bus the more expensive Firewire gear had the edge. The best advice for the OP is to select something that likes roughly the same quality media as the DVD writer he already has. Might also be worth considering a BlueRay unit to get twice the capacity.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

On a sunny day (Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:49:27 +0100) it happened Martin Brown wrote in :

You can get some more speed with multicore cables by using [twisted] differential pairs. But once you do that, then you may as well send everything over one pair... Ethernet... Then you use the characteristic impedance of the cable, say transmission line. The par port doed NOT use that, it is pure capacitive, in the old IBM PC they even had a little capacitor from each par port pin to ground against RFI :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Nothing worth quoting, as if that was even possible.

Hey, you retarded piece of shit!

aka is NOT capitalized, IDIOT!

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Always glad to cheer you up, Archie!

Reply to
Greegor

When is your next assessment due, Archie?

Reply to
Greegor