DVD Burner?

While this is arguably true, in the case of USB they weren't just trying to replace some particular method, they were trying to consolodate lots of different interfaces into one: the legacy parallel ports, serial ports and PS/2 ports -- poof!, all USB these days. They also effectively created a new interface for battery chargers, although I don't think that was their intent. :-)

The smaller cable size isn't that big of a deal, but it is kinda nice. Especially these days now that USB is fast -- a USB 2.0 (480Mbps) is a real joy compared to some of the horrors like the SCSI ultra wide cables!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Bullshit. No 'Centronics' printer was designed for those speeds, so a fasater version would be yset another port to contend with. Only an idiot like you doesn't know the difference.

That's why you're convinced that you know everything. :(

Speak for yourself, wool boy. Just stay away from Phil, or you'll never get out of his basement.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, I've been kind of feeling like a fossil these days, when I consider that almost everything electronic tech-wise that I'd historically made a living at is now obsolete. I'm kind of glad that I've learned some AutoCad on the way - at least a steel weldment is still a steel weldment. ;-)

Anybody know anybody who needs a Z-80 assembly programmer? ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There isn't any reason parallel printers ports couldn't operate like SCSI which is a parallel port itself. There's only serial and parallel and all the Intel singers in the world ain't going to change that.

Reply to
homey

Rich Grise wrote: cut

Na, but I could dig up some pdp 11/03 assembler code from the dark ages..... Reading /writing directly under interrupt to the floppy hardware. Those were the days!!!!!!

Reply to
Sjouke Burry
[...]

Nah, everyone uses solidworks these days :) :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Do you actually own an Autocad license?

Many of the cheaper MP3 players use a Chinese made chip that is basically a Z-80 with flash memory support, LCD support and USB port all on chip.

I was hoping somebody would rig one to run CP/M 2.2 and use the USB as a serial port to a PC as terminal.

Oh yeah, they run cool at 24 MHz but with cooling can do 36 MHz.

Some version support photos, video, cameras etc. Used in some of those electronic picture frames, flash drives, and even cameras.

Have you ever dug into one of those?

Can you read Mandarin Chinese?

Reply to
Greegor

On a sunny day (Wed, 29 Sep 2010 20:05:46 -0400) it happened Jamie wrote in :

Not exactly, apart from the par port being 8 MHz only, it would be very difficult to do high speed in a multipair screened cable. Screened, with about 16 lines, makes a big fat cable, with many pF capacitance between pairs and signal and ground.

100 KHz would be next to impossible over more then 1 meter. (and that would be only 800 kB / s), less if you count control sequences. I have a very old, very good webcam that uses the parport, 3 fps is the maximum for a uncompressed 320x280 frame.

This is true, but does not apply to the par port idea. That is why we have USB and firewire. Also why we have PCIE, serial links win at high speed. Not to mention composite video over 50 Ohms coax, and what not.

Yea, but you forget market forces. Else we would still be using ISA....

Just imagine my 1TB external Seagate connected with a huge fat parallel cable... About as thick as that screened parallel IDE one. Not very practical.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No, but the guy that loaned it to me swore that the guy that loaned it to him did. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If you're going to steal software, there is much better stuff than Autocad. I think the architects are the only ones still using it in any big way.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

And you aren't going to change the laws of physics.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Typical remark of a twit that filches goods and services.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Know a lot about Chinese fab houses, do ya, boy?

Would not be any from Singapore or other places?

You sure 'bout that, oh ye of little real experience or knowledge?

Reply to
SoothSayer

If one is going to steal software, one must promise one's self that IF one actually makes money from a design made on such software, that one will buy the package as a result of utilizing it for real gains.

As far as learning a package, or remaining familiar with one, it is a good way to stay current, and makes it easier for an employer to utilize your skills, which makes points with most.

Good to keep up with is SolidWorks, which is fast becoming the de facto mechanical package, as it has FEA in it.

Acad for topo land survey, and architectural endeavors.

PCB layout is always best to use what your company is using.

Getting too familiar with a package you are not even currently using can muddle the brainpower in a design effort.

It was Einstein that stated that one should not commit to memory anything that one can look up in a reference... "It clutters the mind".

Reply to
SoothSayer

Now find a BluRay drive. The cheapest. Good luck finding a bargain like that.

The Asus slim BD drive is nice. Runs about $137. Comes with BD player software.

I have a couple of the HD-DVD, BD-DVD, DVD, CD drives that LG made. They were about $139 each as I wait for sales to buy them. Hard to find anymore other than on ebay and the like. Some retailer have a few left at stupid overpriced amounts. They are full sized though.

Reply to
SoothSayer

It is also hard to find new printer models that incorporate it.

I also doubt that existing "versions" of a "PPP" would NOT push a full

50' cable, like the spec calls out (or is it 25'?).

ALL comm devices/busses/ports/etc. are UNDER the PCI bus realm. They are ALL tertiary to it.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Thanks for the compliments! No. Are you related to Archie?

Didn't say there isn't but - Post em if ya got em!

Actions Semiconductor is at

15-1, NO.1, HIT Road, Tangjia, Zhuhai, Guangdong, China

Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm From: Matthew Reed Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:12:02 -0600 Local: Tues, Feb 23 2010 8:12 am Subject: Re: true sbc --- new/old Z-80 CP/M

Steve Nickolas wrote:

Strange, but true. The chip used is the Actions Semiconductor ATJ2085. As it says in the data sheet: "ATJ2085 integrates 8-bit MCU with on-chip ICE support. Instruction set is compatible with Z80."

-- Matthew Reed

Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm From: Greegor Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:06:46 -0800 (PST) Local: Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:06 am Subject: Re: true sbc --- new/old Z-80 CP/M

24 MHz TYPICAL, up to 60 MHz clock rate? LOL

ATJ2085=3DZ80mcu+dsp+usb+audio decode plus:

ALR AK1022 (LQ version of ATJ 2093) AK1025 Pinout identical to ATJ2091. Possibly lower-quality (slower, more manufacturing defects) version of 2091??

ATJ2097(2098)

ATJ 2089 lots of I/O pins! also supports external SDRAM and camera ATJ2097 and ATJ2099 can do Movies and SD Flash.

It looks like the lower model numbers can do photos and the higher models can do movies.

It looks like they're all set to use these chips for: Flash Drives (notice the ongoing problem of counterfeits that LIE about how much memory they have), JPEG electronic photo picture frames, MP3 Players, Movie players, CAMERAS, Talking kids toys, What else?

Comparison chart of the various chips as compared to each other. Especially the far right NOTES column.

ATJ2097X Features ?? Digital voice recording at ultra low 8Kbps with Actions speech algorithm ?? 24 bits DSP core with on-chip debug support unit (DSU) ?? 8 bits MCU which instruction set is compatible with Z80 ?? Support up to 3(pcs)* 64M ~4G bytes NAND type/SLC/MLC flash ?? Support 24MHz OSC with on-chip PLL for DSP and 32.768KHz OSC for RTC ?? Support external I2S DAC Interface ?? 2-channel DMA , 1-channel CTC (Counter/Timer Controller) and interrupt controller for MCU ?? Energy saving power management (PMU), supporting 1xAA, 1xAAA,

2xAA, 2xAAA and Li-Lon ?? GPIO(max8,duplex), GPO (3) ?? USB 2.0 high speed, act as mass storage device ?? Build in Stereo Sigma-Delta DAC and its modulator digital out ATJ2097X PRODUCT DATASHEET Copyright=A9 Actions Semiconductor Co., Ltd 2006. All rights reserved. Ver 1.7 Page 5/40 2006-6-16 ?? Support external 80 series LCM driver interface(STN / Color STN) ?? FM tuner mixer and controller ?? Support stereo Sigma-Delta ADC for microphone/FM Input/line Input, sample rate at 8/12/16/22/24/32/48KHz ?? Support digital audio encoding with sample rate of 8-48KHz ?? Support multi media card interface with speed up to R/W 1Mbytes/s ?? Support SD card interface with speed up to R/W 1Mbytes/s(in 4 bits mode) ?? Build-in Li-lion charging management ?? SPI / UART / IR / SPDIF interface ?? DSP+PM/DM speed up to 72MIPS ?? Headphone driver output 2x11Mw @16ohm ?? Package at LQFP-100(14x14mm)

"scanners, printers, mass storage devices, and digital cameras. It is designed to be a cost-effective USB total solution"

Reply to
Greegor

Is that you, Archie? Are you HIDING? LOL

HDMI would really be good though.

Did you notice the Revo doesn't output sound over the HDMI cable though?

They'll probably fix it in the Revo 2 version.

But I'll have to wait to assess that.

Reply to
Greegor

THE DIMBULB SCORECARD

Abbey Somebody AM AnimalMagic Archimedes' Lever AtTheEndofMyRope AwlSome Auger BaltoTopDog BarnCat Bart! BigBalls

10 BillyPilgrim BlindBaby Booong... Bum, Bum, Bum, Bum... (Intel ad)" Bungalow Bill Capt. Cave Man CellShocked ChairmanOfTheBored Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Copacetic Corbomite Carrie

20 DarkMatter DarkSucker Do I really need to say? Dorothy with the Red Shoes on Dr. Heywood R. Floyd DrParnassus FatBytestard FigureItOut FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor 30 George Orr GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Hattori Hanzo Herbert John \Jackie\" Gleason" HiggsField IAmTheSlime ItchyGato ItsASecretDummy Jupiter Jaq Kai

40 LargeMarge life imitates life Lil Red Riding In The Hood

lurch MadManMoon MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

MeowSayTongue Mr.Eko Mr. Haney

50 MrTallyman My Name Is Tsu How Do You Do Mycelium Mycelium Neanderthal Nunya OutsideObserver Perenis ? snipped-for-privacy@hereforlongtime.org? Pieyed Piper Phat Bytestard 60 RoyLFuchs scorpius

SkyPilot SomeKindOfWonderful

Son of a Sea Cook SoothSayer Spurious Response StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt Sum Ting Wong Sum Ting Wong

70 SuspendedInGaffa The Great Attractor

TheJoker The Keeper of the Key to The Locks

The Last Mimsy The Loner The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra TheGlimmerMan TheKraken TheQuickBrownFox

80 TralfamadoranJetPilot snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

UltimatePatriot UpGrade UpYerNose ValleyGirl VioletaPachydermata WallyWallWhackr WarmUnderbelly

100WattDarkSucker 90
enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Never had such a nym. Some retards did use it as a jab device though. Too bad for them that my skin is thicker than their brain cavity is wide.

No, dumbfuck. I post with different nyms based on the content, dumbfuck.

You have ZERO grasp of what a form factor is, so I posted as a soothsayer.

If you were any more stupid, I'd swear that you had some mental disease, not even discounting the one you claim so many others have. How sad, that possibility and likelihood is.

51 year old retards using gang boy retard lingo really enhances the stupidity level of your persona, dumbfuck. Aside from that, you laughing at some lame "determination" that you made is laughable in and of itself.

Duh. Mr ModernNot.

Did you notice that you are full of shit and likely looked at a post by someone that is just as stupid as you are?

Some idiots cannot handle "loss of video" that occurs when HDCP connections handshake-drop-and-fail-to-re-establish-handshake, and they do not realize that they need to cycle the power on the DISPLAY or RECEIVER device *sometimes* when a HDCP enabled PC reboots.

You're an idiot. It works fine. To play BD Discs, one needs to UG to

2GB or the full 4GB as the 1GB will not do both the video and data streams well enough.

I would seriously consider letting others do that for you, SkyBuck.

Reply to
MrTallyman