Dumbell exercise counter

Strictly, you lost that bet when you hit Send .

But, it's been a couple of days with no reply from the OP, so you could well be right

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Well, how hard could it be to count reps? Someone suggested a cheap pedometer, that OP could strap to his(her?) wrist.

Sorry that I came off as hostile there - I really had intended for it to be more or less playful/humourous, but from a perspective of a guy who gets tired of googlegroupies and their obtuseness. I should be more patient - I was a newbie once, as weren't we all.

I sincerely apologize if this has caused any inconvenience.

Crap. That was supposed to be sincere, but even _I_ can tell that it comes off as less than friendly. I do, however, continue to refuse to blame alcohol for my own stupidity/foolishness. I'd also refuse to blame pot, if I had any. ;-}

But I _will_ stand behind my "was your mother a weightlifter" crack, because when properly applied, it's a very fine joke.

You'll figure it out. ;-)

--
Thanks!
Rich

FWIW, I thought your reply to eeh was right on the mark - and highly amusing!

But then, I also thought JF was *complimenting* not criticising you....

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

I thought of this many years ago, but I have never had any problem counting repitions.

Anyway, nothing attached to the dumbell is a good idea, unless it is a light reflector of some sort. An optical sensor or perhaps a magnetic sensor would be the best options. But you will need a reference point, so the device would have to be in two parts.(Exercise form is important so making it a proximity sensor that you can move from one position to another should be a problem).

I really don't think it is worth it to go through all this trouble though.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

easy, put a logging differential GPSto Wifi receiver on it, FFT on the PC. Done (probably wont work indoors)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hello,

Why does linearity matter? IIRC all you wanted is to count the number of pushes, not measure exact patterns. Then it seems that all you need is to sense the gradient and integrate that enough to prevent noise from triggering a wrong count.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Linearity is a concern as the measuring time becomes very long if the pressure change is small.

Reply to
eeh

Thank you for this. :-)

OK, I didn't spot that; I guess I reacted to JF's "'peace and love' (c)rap" item, and got a little defensive. Sorry for that. I get it now. :-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise