? on small battery operated fluorescents

Once purchased a small flashlight with a fluorescent (6") built into the side, and a switch that let you decide which one to turn on. Ran on 4 AA batteries, for several hours. Wife fell in love with it, but I fear it will not last forever (it has already lasted 20 years of intermittent use). Wondering if I could build her something similar, since I can't find anything like that at the sporting goods store any longer. I have a background in electronics and a workshop with a junkbox that won't quit. And patience. Unfortunately, Google doesn't seem to have what I am looking for readily accessible. Everything I see there seems to deal with household AC. I am guessing that a device such as I describe would make use of a switching power supply, but I have no idea what voltage would ultimately be used for an F4T5CW bulb. Or what frequency of alternating current (or whether alternating current would even be used.) Any ideas on where I could find info, and possibly schematics? This one would be eternally gratefull.

Many thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Dave"

** That is a 4 watt rated fluoro tube.

An inverter to drive it would consume another watt or two.

Makes about 6 watts or 1.5 watts per cell - ok ?

The published data on Energiser AAs says that their running time at 1 amp is less than 1 hour.

Same goes for C size cells.

Only D size cells would hold up for several hours.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hi Dave, The item you describe is still available. I could give you info on building what you want but a trip to Wally World will probably yeild one way cheaper in the camping department. By the gist of your post I believe you want the item not the experience of building one. (?) If you can't find it there do a search for "two tube battery powered fluorescent flashlight"

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Hmm. I looked at WalMart and didn't see anything like it, if that is what you are talking about. They had other fluorescent lamps of course, but not a flashlight/fluorescent combination. I'll try the search you suggest though. Of course, if I can't find something small like I am trying to replace, I'll be glad to try and built it. If you would care to share your information, it would satisfy my curiousity at least. :)

Many thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Too high priced but a google search for fluorescent flashlight yielded many possibilities.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Look here:

Sjouke Burry

LED lights are all the rage these days, and are likely to have about the same performance.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

--
Phil,

What is it you don\'t understand about:

"but I have no idea what voltage would ultimately be used for an F4T5CW
bulb."?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

"John Fields" "Phil Allison"

** The autistic Mr Fields has not got the tiniest clue what my post is even about.

As usual.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--
Strange, but from what I read it seems he was concerned about the
voltage rating of the F4T5CW, not its power rating.

Why don\'t you go back, read it again in that context, and see if you
don\'t agree?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Promising, but this is the closest thing we have found to the original flashlight/fluorescent I am trying to get a backup for.

Still a little pricey, but...

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks, it looks like what I am wanting, but... Euros. Customs. Import tarriffs... I'll keep it in mind though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Found this, which looks interesting from the tinkerer's perspective.

Thinking about tackling it just for fun. What think y'all? My only real concern is the transformer, and what to wind it on/whether it matters if I use 32 AWG enamal-coated wire instead of 34/36 gauge wire for windings #1 and 5, and 28 guage for windings #2/3/4. Ideas?

Thanks all...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The fluorescent tube in that unit appears to be a CCFL. Similar to what most laptop computers use. If you want to tinker, get a tube and inverter from an old laptop. Alternately, Fry's electronics has sold suitable miniature inverters and tubes in many colors.

Reply to
Lord Garth

"John Fields"

** What did the OP claim on that matter ????

( step by tiny step, we may get there eventually )

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Lord Garth"

** No it does not.

It looks like a standard fluoro with heater pins each end.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

4 AA

it

ind

.

with

ake

ing

as on

real

AA

ind

.

ith

on

As Phil Allison attempted to point out, the tube you mentioned will not meet your design requirements of hours of runtime from two AA Alkaline cells. You might choose newer breed NiMH like Sanyo Eneloops that hold up to (? Forget exact specs, about 80% charge for a year), or regular NiMH for a bit longer runtime but a need to perpetually recharge the flashlight due to high self-discharge rate when not used. Either will have longer runtime than an alkaline cell at this discharge rate if kept near fully charged.

Phil also linked a spec sheet for the tube you mentioned, as a 4W tube it's rated for 135 lumens (initial, new). Not particularly efficient by today's standards, you would be better off using something like 2 x Cree XR-E LEDs (about 100 lumen per watt) driven at less than peak output to retain near maximum efficiency.

Without optics in front of them, they'll light a wide area similar enough to the result with a fluorescent tube. You can find reasonably good deals on them, ~ $10 for the better R(n) rated ones, and very inexpensive driver boards, $2 to 5 each generally depending on which one you choose) to use 2 x AA or other typical battery combinations at places like

or
Only catch is they ship from the Orient so it may take 2 weeks or more, or a prolonged wait if something is out of stock.

The resulting homemade flashlight using LEDs would also likely be smaller than using fluorescent.

However, if you really want to go fluorescent you can pick up inverter boards and tubes in various lengths as a finished product for cheap from various places that sell computer case modification parts. For example:

While not able to run from 3V as 2 x AA cells, it'll probably run from

4, maybe 6 at most, AA cells at higher current. No guarantees about that, but I do recall another light kit I bought there which ran acceptably at 7V input (I didn't try to go any lower than this). Some inverters may start out rated for 5V instead of 12V which would make more sense, here is one:
emailaddress

For some reason I'd thought you mentioned using 2 x AA cells while you instead wrote 4. Ignore the parts of my prior reply which were based on that mistake.

Reply to
emailaddress

No problem. I hadn't thought about that being an older and less efficient part (the fluorescent tube). Would obviously rather work towards something that worked well. That was just the best thing I found at the time. Have since found that the manufacturer of the parts used in that project is based in the UK (I am in the US) and has recently been bought by someone else. Nobody seems to be able to locate a transformer core or form, and the US sales office doesn't answer their phone/hasn't replied to my email. Also, the transistor called for is an obselete part for which there is no exact substitute. I could use the next part in line (tolerant of higher emmitter/collector voltages etc.) but it's still not a late design. Would rather work with something more recent.

Recently found a couple of these at my local electronics candy store...

and built an emergency lantern out of them, using a couple of six-cell AA holders and a 7812 voltage regulator. It's not very impressive though, and I was thinking of doing something similar with the two LEDs for the flashlight and a fluorescent tube down the side, with a three-position rocker switch to select which funcion is activated. Would love it if someonecould point me in the right direction for something like this. Do appreciate the help so far...

Dave

Reply to
Dave